well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Biden needs to step aside
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 20

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Biden needs to step aside
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
BTW, re this:

quote:
No teleprompter, union event. Not seeing this passed around much:

https://youtu.be/fERNPp4G2Sw?si=PtoL7ZJBDjxwOPSA

Biden will have good days, and I hope he has a lot of them. But his bad days are devastating for his chances of reelection.

My central concern is keeping Trump out of the WH. We need a ticket that can do that. Biden+Harris is not that ticket.

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18847 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Why are Trump's oh-so-frequent bad days such an irrelevancy?

Posts: 12757 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why are Trump's oh-so-frequent bad days such an irrelevancy?

exactly.

the media has done us a huge disservice with the way they have covered this election so far.

we will lose if biden is thrown off the ticket.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21536 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
I want Biden to step down because i don't think his health can handle it. Nothing more, nothing less.

have you talked to his doctor about this? no?

a bad debate night doesn't matter in the larger scheme of things. look how the guy has been going flat out ever since the debate.

a narrative has been created that he's senile, that he's got cognitive problems. but that is not factual information.

i get that appearances matter. but substance and facts also matter.

many, many sources who i greatly respect are 100 percent behind biden and think him stepping down would be an unmitigated disaster.

and there is the little problem of time. it's really too late now to change horses without creating total chaos.

i admire the guy for standing up to the pundits and naysayers and asserting a positive and determined view that he's in this and he's going to win. the longer i watch him since the debate, the more persuaded i am that he is our best hope. i don't see the sky falling.

y'all are free to disagree with me.

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
the media has done us a huge disservice with the way they have covered this election so far.

I completely agree with this.

quote:
we will lose if biden is thrown off the ticket.

This, I'm not so sure.... I think we'll lose if he stays on the ticket, and if he's not on the ticket, well, then all the details come into play and I want to know those details.

I think a little bit (or a lot) of chaos in the Dems could very well be invigorating for a lot of voters who will stay home otherwise.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18847 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Pique,

Dem leaders have the polls we’ve all seen showing Biden getting crushed and threat to house and Senate. They also have internal polling we can’t see, but no one is acting like that polling shows something else.

Can’t you see that the other side has massive momentum? If we don’t do something to shake up the race, why do you think this would turn around on its own?

If Dems don’t control the presidency, the house, the senate and Supreme Court, how is that not a catastrophe?

Let’s not be the frog that lacks the good sense to jump out of a simmering pot. Let’s thank our lucky stars that Biden’s collapse was so public and total. We have to try with a better ticket. There are so many voters who would be in play with a different ticket.

Posts: 19829 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
quote:
I want Biden to step down because i don't think his health can handle it. Nothing more, nothing less.

have you talked to his doctor about this? no?

a bad debate night doesn't matter in the larger scheme of things. .

That perception that he's not up to the task is by no means based on a single episode. Several governors had a call with him where he was supposed to reassure them of his competence and that didn't happen. IN fact, they described him as being even more unhinged than his incoherence during the debate - and introducing the Ukrainian President as "President Putin" or referring to his Secretary of Defense as "the black man" does little to convey confidence.

The fact that nearly the entire Democratic leadership is urging him to step down - should convey that there's some credible belief that he's lost his way and is NOT ELECTABLE. And you'll note you haven't heard anything about a lot of donors stepping up to say how much they support him.

Yes, the 2020 Biden was a compelling candidate based on the pandemic, donor support, Biden's Obama connection, etc. - but none of that is there.

And no, I don't think Kamala can win - but Biden's campaign is dead in the water.

I don't disagree that Kamala is the most viable of the non-electable candidates. On the other hand, I think finding another traditional "we'll keep things going like they've been going" candidate has no chance of winning.

It might be better to consider finding someone who could crush Trump - i.e. strong appeal to the independents, the working poor, blacks and Hispanics who are all moving toward Trump.

But, it may be too soon for that. Democrats may need to lose the Presidency, both houses of congress and a few more governorships before someone says, "maybe, we try something different." In the meantime, the country can enjoy an even more solidified right-focused Supreme Court for the next 30+ years.

People have beaten up on RBG for not resigning - but I don't fault her for thinking that it was impossible for Trump to win. With Biden's bumbling campaign, it's almost impossible think of Trump losing.

Posts: 9616 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Rebecca Solnit:

https://www.facebook.com/55983...tid=rS40aB7S9Ucbxw6v

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
The successor (Kamala) will be anointed and all of the "leaders" will display full unity around the succession. Anything else will be an invitation to chaos and collapse

Agreed.

But who will be her running mate?

Someone chosen for star power and/or very strategic concerns in a swing state I would guess.

Whitmer obviously comes to mind because of Michigan. It's a must carry state, and might help in Wisconsin. I know that the regional impact of VP choices is supposedly not great, but we're talking about states where a shift of 20K voters is all you need. Josh Shapiro does the same thing in Pennsylvania, and gender-balances the ticket. Or Mark Kelly as has already been suggested.

She could also reach into Georgia for Warnock, but that hurts the Dems in the Senate.

All amateur politics by me, to be sure.

Posts: 12757 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Nancy Pelosi in "no mood to lose" with Biden

We cannot know for certain that the Dems will win with someone else. You want guarantees, buy a T-Bill. If we lose, the relevant counterfactual question (which cannot be known for sure) is "what would have happened had we gone down with the Biden ship instead." As Cindy has noted, all the polling suggests that Biden is causing the ship to list precariously, and Harris, for all her faults, does better.

If I could be convinced that Biden's apparent decline is not "really" happening, I might be asking what's wrong with Democratic PR. This isn't a PR problem. It's increasingly clear to those around him, and to the public, that age has indeed caught up with him. He isn't Mick Jagger dancing on stage in his 80s. His cognitive slips are increasing in frequency and severity, more than can easily be explained away as "the old stutter."

If we can elevate Harris quickly and with near unanimity, and do it soon, we can focus the public's attention on the other guy's age and erratic behavior. Maybe we can inject some energy that's currently lacking, especially with a smart VP pick. None of this guarantees a victory, but perhaps even in a loss it can help in down ballot races that we need to put a brake on the GOP takeover of America.

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Video of Biden getting off Air Force One. He’s declining before our eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dmJOunF2_8

Posts: 19829 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
Video of Biden getting off Air Force One. He’s declining before our eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dmJOunF2_8

It's sad to see this. He should have been out of the public eye already. Apparently, according to sources, it's being reported, etc. there has been a rather quick deterioration of his physical health. I gotta say it sure appears noticeable. Josh Marshall wrote today of the Clooney fundraiser in Hollywood, "I’ve spoken to a lot of people about this. And there were a lot of people at that fundraiser who see Biden often. They’re people who know people who see him constantly. Apparently quite a few people saw Biden then and thought he had physically deteriorated a lot since they’d seen him last. I say “physically” because I get the sense that people weren’t really focused on cognitive issues. It’s was physical."

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10678 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
My new favorite. Great answer about Assassination and his wife.

https://www.msnbc.com/all-in/w...meeting-215119429894

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Beshears is a better speaker,though. Mark Kelley read his victory speech out of a white binder.

I think beshear, being a former ag, will do better in the debate. Here he is debating during his reelection campaign.

https://www.google.com/search?...client=gws-wiz-video