well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Biden needs to step aside
Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 20

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Biden needs to step aside
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
what is wrong with the people in this country that they would rather have some totally unqualified celebrity run the country rather than someone who actually has experience and credentials.

What is wrong is that people know the destruction we would see with another trump presidency and they will take anything they think could prevent that.

Are we grasping at straws? Definitely. But it's understandable, given the situation the country is in.

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18859 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
Why do people keep trying to draft Michelle? It's ridiculous! She has never run for public office and has never expressed a desire to. And Taylor Swift?? Reminds me of how everyone wanted Oprah to run.

Geez what is wrong with the people in this country that they would rather have some totally unqualified celebrity run the country rather than someone who actually has experience and credentials.

Pathetic.

What SK said. If you are trying to prevent the apocalypse, you don't quibble over whether the person who can do so is a celebrity, isn't qualified to be President, or anything else.

You take whoever has the best chance of preventing the apocalypse.

Moreover, experience and credentials only matter if the person who has the experience and credentials is alive and lucid. Compared to others, there is a greater risk that Biden will be not both for the next four-and-a-half years.

But really, the point is that we don't think a majority of voters in swing states will vote for him. That's why, just today, Adam Schiff called for Biden to withdraw his candidacy. Clearly, there is a segment of the rational, experienced, credentialed element of the Democratic Party that doesn't think Biden is the right candidate.

Your last word was a cheap and unnecessary shot. You made your point.

Posts: 45838 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
And . . . Now Biden has Covid.

Internet reaction is, “God works in mysterious ways.”

Not sure if this link will work, but Biden is moving mighty slow walking to Air Force One.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/vi...-positive-COVID.html

Posts: 19832 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
Why do people keep trying to draft Michelle? It's ridiculous! She has never run for public office and has never expressed a desire to. And Taylor Swift?? Reminds me of how everyone wanted Oprah to run.

Geez what is wrong with the people in this country that they would rather have some totally unqualified celebrity run the country rather than someone who actually has experience and credentials.

Pathetic.

It's unheard of for anyone without any governmental experience to be a serious candidate... You crazy???

- Um...Donald Trump had no governmental experience, destroyed a field of theoretically qualified candidates and beat - the person that Obama who said was "the best qualified person to ever have run for the Presidency."

That's why it isn't a bad idea to think of someone out of the box - AND if you're looking for ELECTABILITY - then we might need to look beyond the "usual suspects" - Michelle Obama has strong positives - and polls extremely well against Trump - despite her protests of "no" - and someone like Mark Cuban - would be seen as an outsider - and he would poll well against Trump.

Again - Biden barely cleared the trees the last time with all the negatives Trump had at the time -

1. Handling of pandemic.
2. Hundreds of millions of dollars by Bloomberg and others to battle Trump
3. High unemployment
4. And Biden's not having to campaign because of the pandemic meant fewer of his stupid, ill-considered gaffes.

This time around - he has none of the above PLUS he's got the Israel/Palestinian conflict where he's losing many young votes - and Jewish votes - and likely AIPAC support.

He's lost a significant share of Black and Hispanic voters.

Inflation and crime are major issues - and Biden tosses cash at student debt forgiveness - annoying many - and garnering little in terms of votes.

And when Biden loses - and takes the Senate with him - we could end up with 8 conservative Supreme Court Justices - the impact of which will be felt for the next 3 decades.

SO...yeah, I think the Dems should find a candidate who can win - not 1) whose turn it is, 2) represents a big state or 3) is a high ranking congress critter - i.e. the usual suspects.

But - Pique - we can certainly follow tradition - the Hubert Humphrey choice is definitely - Kamala - and we all know how Hubert did.

Posts: 9620 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I think our choices are Joe or Kamala. Everything else is internet games and wishful thinking.

Posts: 12758 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
He’s going to pull out. He seems to have lost Schumer and Pelosi and the donors and 2/3 of Dem voters. What’s left, Hunter?

Might as well get behind Kamala. If she wins, great. If not, we’ll, we won’t have tarred any of our stars.

Posts: 19832 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
We have stars? ... Wink

If he does pull out, I think (hope) we can count on it following a script well worked out in advance by the party's grandees. The successor (Kamala) will be anointed and all of the "leaders" will display full unity around the succession. Anything else will be an invitation to chaos and collapse.

Posts: 12758 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
The successor (Kamala) will be anointed and all of the "leaders" will display full unity around the succession. Anything else will be an invitation to chaos and collapse

Agreed.

But who will be her running mate?

Posts: 18859 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Bernard, can you share a link? The NYT page is dominated by trump news right now…

Sorry for the delay, SK, I just saw your request.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/0...FVlxH&smid=url-share

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10678 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
He apparently hasn't been persuaded by Pelosi yet.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/17...versation/index.html

It needs to happen.

Posts: 45838 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bernard!

Re Biden... the clock is ticking, and calls for him to step down are increasing. It needs to happen, and soon!

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Mark Kelly.

Popular senator from Az. Former astronaut. Husband of Gabby Gifford, who would be First Lady. Dem governor would name his replacement. Sixty years old. Probably very centrist given that he is from Az. Won McCains seat by 2 points, then won re-election in 2020 by 5 points over MAGA opponent.

VP could be Andy Beshears, governor of Kentucky. Won twice in a red state, strong on abortion. Term limited.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Oh dear God.

And he still won't quit?

I wish I thought Kamala were electible. Not a chance in my opinion. None.

Well, if they do succeed in assassinating Trump, maybe.

I never liked Biden. I've come to rather loathe him upon paying close attention to him.

Posts: 25255 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
No teleprompter, union event. Not seeing this passed around much:

https://youtu.be/fERNPp4G2Sw?si=PtoL7ZJBDjxwOPSA

And, btw, I adored Hubert Humphrey and was crushed when he lost. I was 12 years old and sat up all night watching the election returns.

All of your responses to my post illustrate in high relief why Hillary didn't win. Probably one of the most competent and qualified candidates ever to run for the office.

I don't retract a word of what I said. Celebrities running for president is sheer idiocy. But, by all means, let's encourage anything but real substance. Which Biden has in spades. I lose all hope for this country.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21538 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
All of your responses to my post illustrate in high relief why Hillary didn't win. Probably one of the most competent and qualified candidates ever to run for the office.

Can you explain this more, because I'm not seeing the connection.

I want Biden to step down because i don't think his health can handle it. Nothing more, nothing less.

I wanted Hillary to win, I thought she could win, I voted for her....

So I'm not seeing where you're coming from.