well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Biden needs to step aside
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Biden needs to step aside
 Login/Join

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
It's the way the system works. No one gets the job if they can't get elected...

What makes a person electable? Well, that's a good question in America right now!

--------------------------------
Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7602 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
The world is depending on us to not fvck this up.

Which is why it must not be Trump.

Which is why Biden needs to step down and someone who can campaign 27 hours a day 9 days a week with the energy of 10,000 suns needs to be put on the ticket under Harris.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18859 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
@ pique Since when is who would be most electable contrary to who would be the best president?

I'm thinking since november 2016. When the person who woul be the best president lost to the person who is electable. You have no shot at being a good president if you get crushed in the electoral college.

Look. Biden has done a good job as president all things considered.

But the fact remains that he is the one who destroyed his own campaign. He stood there at the debate, mouth agape, unable to complete a thought. Taking a softball about abortion and somehow converting it into a republican talking point about migrants raping people. Biden did that, no one else. If he had given even a passable performance, he would still be the candidate.

In what world do you get to perform like that and still keep your job?

If anything, people are being too nice. Biden got us into this mess, and he owes every one of us a way out.

Yup, although that sounds too much like blame. The man got old. It may have been unexpected. He may not have realized it himself. His staff was probably trying simultaneously to cover for him and to keep him thinking that he could still do the job.

It doesn't matter. He's not the man he was, and the man he is now is not the man he will be in one year, in two years. That matters to voters. They may not be able to vote for him and may vote third party. They may stay home out of indifference. We cannot risk that.

Donald Trump is a walking, talking danger. Just pick whoever will beat him or, failing that, reduce the damage he will cause.

Posts: 45838 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Regarding Mik's, post-- I agree. A person might be forgiven for thinking Biden should have chosen said person as his running mate in the first place.

Regarding Quirt's post-- I agree we face an existential threat. But in my opinion, it's the threat of civil war if not nuclear war. YMMV.

Posts: 25243 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
Regarding Quirt's post-- I agree we face an existential threat. But in my opinion, it's the threat of civil war if not nuclear war. YMMV.
Americans are too fat and lazy to engage in a civil war.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13887 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
We don't have agree on everything. Big Grin

Posts: 25243 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Here's what AOC has to say:

https://www.facebook.com/55983...tid=rS40aB7S9Ucbxw6v

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21538 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
Americans are too fat and lazy to engage in a civil war.

Yes, but there are plenty of corrupt jerks, sociopaths, and crazies that could make anarchy look good.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25849 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12758 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I am so sad he was driven out. Be careful what you wish for, people. There is no better candidate, especially at this late date--certainly not Kamala.

He was the victim of mass hysteria, and a focus on appearances over reality/substance.

The US doesn't deserve him.

I would enthusiastically support Buttigieg--but the homophobes in this country won't allow that. I really question if I even belong in this country any more.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
There is no better candidate that wants it. There are better candidates such as Manchin, who would win.

I think the country is pretty much what it has always been, with generational changes. It's just that before 24-7 news and social media we didn't get the fringe amplification. We tended to only see those in our own circles.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13649 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Groupie
Picture of CTPianotech
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would enthusiastically support Buttigieg--but the homophobes in this country won't allow that.

Which homophobes would that be? The MAGA ones wouldn't vote for him anyways, so are you concerned about independent/Democrat homophobes?

I bet a lot of folks thought 12 years ago we wouldn't elect an black man President...and yet. Put out a smart candidate with a good resume, positive energy, and can communicate their point of view, and I think Trump is quite beatable.

Posts: 827 | Location: CT | Registered: 10 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
People are influenced by their unconscious biases. I remember when Pete was running in 2020. He totally won over some old biddies at a rally in Iowa, who gushed to a reporter about how much they loved him--until they learned he is gay. One of them told the reporter that, in that case, she could never vote for him.

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
To overcome being Black, Obama had to be amazing.

Mayor Pete is very good. But he is not quite good enough to overcome the prejudice against a gay person. He may get there someday. But right now, transportation in this country is a mess. I don't think the guy who owns the mess that is Boeing and the general horror that is air travel qualifies as amazing.

Cindy -- who was on hold for two hours to try to fly yesterday, only to be sent home

Posts: 19831 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I don't care a fig about Pete being gay. He has a mediocre record as the mayor of a small city and a worse record as SECTRANS.

He's a sharp guy, but perhaps out of his depth at the moment.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13649 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post