well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Biden needs to step aside
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Biden needs to step aside
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Odds are now better for Kamala than they were previously for Biden.

Kamala

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25843 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Problem with Beshears is that Kentucky is unwinnable even if he is on the ticket. Whitmer could tip Michigan and Kelly could tip Arizona, both of which look to be nail-biting close.

Yes, if we step back from individual states, Beshears performance could help nationally. It's a judgement call. But if Beshears helps win more Dem votes in already blue states it doesn't much help the electoral math.

I'm guessing we'll know within a week what's happening within the party.

Posts: 12757 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bernard:
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
Video of Biden getting off Air Force One. He’s declining before our eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dmJOunF2_8

It's sad to see this. He should have been out of the public eye already. Apparently, according to sources, it's being reported, etc. there has been a rather quick deterioration of his physical health. I gotta say it sure appears noticeable. Josh Marshall wrote today of the Clooney fundraiser in Hollywood, "I’ve spoken to a lot of people about this. And there were a lot of people at that fundraiser who see Biden often. They’re people who know people who see him constantly. Apparently quite a few people saw Biden then and thought he had physically deteriorated a lot since they’d seen him last. I say “physically” because I get the sense that people weren’t really focused on cognitive issues. It’s was physical."

His successor as a bridge president should have been decided on in 2021 and groomed for the upcoming race.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13643 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
His successor as a bridge president should have been decided on in 2021 and groomed for the upcoming race.

This exactly. We should not even be here in the first place.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18847 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
What I've read suggests that, if they are off the record, there's not a single senior member of the Democratic Party (outside of Biden's inner, inner circle) who thinks he should stay on the ticket.

And he still has his moments. He still has a high-wattage smile. He's still very personable and affable. I'd still rather have a beer with him than be within golf ball distance of Donald Trump.

But, this isn't how I feel about Biden. This isn't about who would make the best President. We are facing an existential threat. This is about ... ONLY about ... how to fend off the existential threat, or at the very least, minimize the severity of the consequences. If Oprah Winfrey, Taylor Swift, or Ronald McDonald has the best chance of doing that, then that's who I think the nominee should be.

And I don't really care whether anyone thinks that's pathetic or not. I'll worry about who might make the best President in four years ... if I get a chance to worry about it in four years.

Posts: 45838 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I agree with Quirt. Should that worry me? Big Grin

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25843 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I agree, Quirt.

Posts: 18847 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Well, as to what Quirt said... You may have to explain it to me in pictures, because I don't get it.

Since when is who would make the best president contrary to who is the most electable? Why are those somehow in opposition to each other?

You really think voters are *that* stupid? I'm talking about any voters who are persuadable to vote for the Democratic ticket--not MAGAs, who I concur are dumber than rocks.

Even if true that voters are that stupid, electing someone to the most powerful position on earth who hasn't got the experience, expertise, nor the chops to do that job just because they have star power is incredibly short sighted. You've just swapped one horrible problem for another horrible problem.

the world is a very dangerous place right now. Taylor Swift v. Vladimir Putin. I can see it now. Roll Eyes

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21536 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
voters who are persuadable to vote for the Democratic ticket--not MAGAs

I'm most worried about would-be voters who will stay home if Biden is on the ticket.

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
IOW, these are not people that I think will vote for Trump, but they might just not vote.

BTW, y'all. the Japanese news is reporting that Obama is now trying to convince Biden to step down, but I'm not seeing that from any US news sites. Did I miss it? Is Japanese news mistaken??

Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
BTW, y'all. the Japanese news is reporting that Obama is now trying to convince Biden to step down, but I'm not seeing that from any US news sites. Did I miss it? Is Japanese news mistaken??

The Washington Post had an article up yesterday about it. It's a bit of a wishy-washy story. It's reported that Obama has told allies that he thinks Biden's path to victory "... has greatly diminished and he thinks the president needs to seriously consider the viability of his candidacy, according to multiple people briefed on his thinking."

I'm not keen on this type of heresay reporting, but you know, it sounds credible.

The rest of the story is about how Obama could have stopped the NYTimes from running the Clooney story but he didn't. (Jeffrey Katzenberg, a top Biden campaign official, did try to stop the piece from publication but failed.)

Also, it's about Obama's silence these past few weeks.

There seems to be a connect-the-dots aspect that indicates Obama is not entirely on board with the Biden campaign.

I don't know if you can read it without a subscription: https://www.washingtonpost.com...-consider-viability/

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10678 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
@ pique Since when is who would be most electable contrary to who would be the best president?

I'm thinking since november 2016. When the person who woul be the best president lost to the person who is electable. You have no shot at being a good president if you get crushed in the electoral college.

Look. Biden has done a good job as president all things considered.

But the fact remains that he is the one who destroyed his own campaign. He stood there at the debate, mouth agape, unable to complete a thought. Taking a softball about abortion and somehow converting it into a republican talking point about migrants raping people. Biden did that, no one else. If he had given even a passable performance, he would still be the candidate.

In what world do you get to perform like that and still keep your job?

If anything, people are being too nice. Biden got us into this mess, and he owes every one of us a way out.

Posts: 19829 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Bernard, thanks! I’ll take a look!

Cindy:

quote:
Biden got us into this mess, and he owes every one of us a way out

Exactly!

twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
Well, as to what Quirt said... You may have to explain it to me in pictures, because I don't get it.

Since when is who would make the best president contrary to who is the most electable? Why are those somehow in opposition to each other?

You really think voters are *that* stupid? I'm talking about any voters who are persuadable to vote for the Democratic ticket--not MAGAs, who I concur are dumber than rocks.

Even if true that voters are that stupid, electing someone to the most powerful position on earth who hasn't got the experience, expertise, nor the chops to do that job just because they have star power is incredibly short sighted. You've just swapped one horrible problem for another horrible problem.

the world is a very dangerous place right now. Taylor Swift v. Vladimir Putin. I can see it now. Roll Eyes

There are plenty of "stupid" people around - just look at 2016. Trump defeated a highly qualified person. Trump had NO governmental experience.

AOC recently made a video in which she outlined that if there's a replacement to Biden (wink, wink), it has to be Kamala.

The reasons are logistical as there's a 100 million dollar warchest that is connected with Biden/Harris that would only be available to either Biden or Harris. Secondly, Ohio's deadline for a candidate's name to appear on the ballot comes before the Democratic convention. Michigan has a deadline of about 2 days post the convention - so a lengthy convention - doesn't work.

So...it's gonna be Kamala.

Posts: 9616 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
at least Kamala might know what to do about Ukraine, about Israel, about a million other critical issues facing the USA and the world.

recruiting a Taylor or an Oprah or a Michelle is just plain stupid.

It isn't just electability. The world is depending on us to not fvck this up.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21536 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post