well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Biden needs to step aside
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 20

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Biden needs to step aside
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
My own memories of the Trump administration are that it was the worst administration in my lifetime.

However, I have some problems with the "anyone but Trump" idea.

This is nothing but my personal viewpoint. Please accept it as such without rancour. It's only what I personally think and feel.

a) The "anyone" happens to be Biden. I CAN NOT vote for Biden because of his role in the Gaza genocide. My conscience WILL NOT let me take the action of voting for Biden and dwelling in the shame I would feel about myself because of it for the rest of my life.

b) I think with all the various parts of the Constitution already having been gutted like a pig over each administration starting with Reagan's it's no longer the same foundation viewed or enforced by the establishment as the one I remember and revere from my childhood.

c I think we are already living in a time of oligarchy and of corporate fascism. I think those we trusted have already betrayed us.

Posts: 25255 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I expect a Harris/Newsom ticket, or maybe that is the best I hope for.

Harris polls better than Biden. NBC

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25849 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
It is going to be very hard for me to vote for Biden. He's lost a lot of respect that I once had for him--not all that long ago. I don't like cheats and I feel that he has cheated the Democratic party by 'keeping up appearances' for the past year. He knows this isn't just any old election, and yet he was willing (and apparently continues) to gamble away the fate of the country. His hubris really turns me off. What is it with this generation of politicians and their inability to realize when to bow out!!?

If the choice is Biden or Trump come November I will shut out most media for at least 3 weeks leading up to the election so as not to get all riled up. I hope in that time to be able to settle my mind on voting for what's best for the country, personal feelings of disgust aside. I will more than likely have to hold my nose.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10678 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Something to consider is that Biden’s cognitive decline is preventing him from making a rational decision here. He may really believe that he’s doing the best thing by staying in the race. I say this based on my experiences with several family members who were experiencing cognitive decline. The neurologist who treated my Mom said to me “ wtg, you are approaching this logically but your Mom's brain no longer functions in a logical manner.” What I initially pawned off as being stubbornness I came to realize was a malfunctioning brain. She couldn’t help it.

The same denial extends to Biden's family and circle of closest advisers. They’ve been interacting with him for years in particular ways, and he is still the same person in many respects but not all. It takes a while for everyone to figure this out. In some situations people never manage to make the mental shift.

I don’t know if I’m doing a very good job of explaining this…

When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

Posts: 38214 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Oh stop. Please just stop.

Biden is the candidate. Vote for him and stop screwing around.

You’re not gonna like another Trump presidency, which is what you’re advocating.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35083 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
what steve said. please!

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21538 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
what steve said. please!

No. This is Democracy, you don't get to tell others that your opinion is the only one that matters. There is a serious debate over this issue with almost half of Democrats (48%) wanting Biden to step aside. Shutting down dissent is the worst approach. Not a single person on either side of this debate is advocating for another Trump presidency.

Posts: 10678 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
sure, bernard. let's indulge in this fruitless debate which only serves to cast doubt on our last hope against losing our democracy. by all means, be my guest.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21538 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Oh stop. Please just stop.

Biden is the candidate. Vote for him and stop screwing around.

You’re not gonna like another Trump presidency, which is what you’re advocating.[/QUOTEo
I think every D wh wants Biden to step down believes another candidate would run stronger against Trump.

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17719 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Wow, time to burn those books.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25849 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
sure, bernard. let's indulge in this fruitless debate which only serves to cast doubt on our last hope against losing our democracy. by all means, be my guest.

The person who cast doubt on our last hope against losing our democracy is Biden (and his inner circle who kept him barricaded from the public for well over a year). They have done a great disservice to our democracy.

I don't consider a free exchange of ideas over an enormous crisis a fruitless debate. Are we all supposed to shut up and do as we're told? Not in my book.

Everyone is scared. No one knows the future, not those who stand by Biden and not those who think he needs to step down. It behooves everyone to respect others.

We are in a crisis of Biden's doing. Half of us think one thing, the other half another thing. So it's worth looking at the facts. Biden's polling is dismal and is sinking. The debate wasn't a one-off bad night. According to many who know him and many who have had direct observation (including European leaders) the decline has been visibly noticeable.

There are no other facts. Everything else is speculation on what could or might happen. My speculations: There is a very strong chance Biden will lose to Trump, there is a good chance the party could rally around a new candidate if he steps aside. Poll numbers seems to indicate this. I am willing to take a leap into the unknown rather that sit on what may very well be a colossal disaster. (Some polls indicate positive numbers for Harris, so that's a little encouragement to my ears.)

Some of Biden's close friends have called for him to step down: Thomas Friedman, whom I've always thought well of. Other notable columnists who are calling for him to step down: Paul Krugman and Nicolas Kristof of the NYTimes. Dana Milbank at WaPo and Ruth Marcus at WaPo has come very close. These people are not Fox reporters and they know because they're closer to the situation. The list of Democratic legislators thinking Biden should step down is growing. As I mentioned before close to half of the party wants him to step down. This isn't something you can sweep under the rug or attempt to shame people into falling in line.

I hope for the best but I think it's time Democrats stopped blaming each other for their opinion on this crisis and put the blame where it belongs.

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think every D wh wants Biden to step down believes another candidate would run stronger against Trump

Exactly.

I think it’s important for all of us to remember that we’re on the same side here, we all want to see trump lose the election. We disagree on how that can best be brought about.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18859 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
The person who cast doubt on our last hope against losing our democracy is Biden (and his inner circle who kept him barricaded from the public for well over a year). They have done a great disservice to our democracy.

quote:
We are in a crisis of Biden's doing.

I strongly agree with Bernard.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18859 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I strongly agree with Bernard as well. I think Jack makes a good point, also.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I thought this was particularly good:

"No. This is Democracy, you don't get to tell others that your opinion is the only one that matters. There is a serious debate over this issue with almost half of Democrats (48%) wanting Biden to step aside. Shutting down dissent is the worst approach. Not a single person on either side of this debate is advocating for another Trump presidency."

I'm sure you're entitled to your political opinions when you reach voting age. I was taught voting is a private decision in a Democracy and believe this to this day. And, let's face it, when you're reached a certain age, let's say going on 60, you've survived long enough to have earned your right to an opinion, something that was yours in the first place. I know my opinions aren't always popular here. I don't care. They are only my opinions. Nobody is forced to share my opinions.