well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Biden needs to step aside
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 20

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Biden needs to step aside
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
From the New Yorker:
The Reckoning of Joe Biden

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25849 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Post debate poll:
https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/28...ers-cnndebate-digvid

Posts: 25849 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
From the New Yorker:
The Reckoning of Joe Biden

Really sad, but true.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10678 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
This is a darn good argument. Anyone who thinks Biden should stay on the ticket has to reckon with this kind of thinking.

The Argument: Aaron Regunberg

I can understand those who think this is all a panic, and we should calm down for a minute. That Biden currently polls better against Trump than the alternatives, and so on.

It's indeed the case that this isn't new news. Biden is old. We've always known that. But we've had the down sides of his age forcefully thrown in the American public's face. All the perceptions people had about him have been set in cement now, even if he gets 20 second clips on the news showing him reading a prompter aggressively. It just doesn't matter any more. Biden is probably at a ceiling. Harris and the others are at a floor on their chances, since they haven't been able to show their stuff against the lying scumbag our GOP friends are backing.

Posts: 12758 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Hey .... you don't like Harris? Got a plan for that!

1. Sotomayor retires.
2. Biden nominates Harris to the SCOTUS.
3. She accepts and is rammed through by the Senate in record time!
4. Biden then nominates Whitmer as his VP.
5. She is confirmed in record time.
6. Biden then steps aside, recommending Whitmer to the convention.
7. Whitmer runs for president as an incumbent.
8. She cleans up Wisconsin and Michigan for the Dems, who win 53% to 47% (plus or minus because of that Kennedy freak).

Shamelessly stolen from an economist friend of mine. Big Grin

Posts: 12758 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
RBG would not retire. Look at what that got us.

I don't know what should be done about Biden. If I did it would not matter. I am not in charge, which is probably a good thing.

Wondering how much of Reagan's time in the White House was he so affected by Alheimer's that his staff was doing his job?

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wondering how much of Reagan's time in the White House was he so affected by Alheimer's that his staff was doing his job?

The problem, IMO, isn't how well or poorly Biden would do the job while he's in office. If he is president, and starts to become unable to function, the VP and others can step in. I'm actually not really worried about that at all.

It's whether we can get him elected.

(I know, preaching to the choir here...)

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18859 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
The New Yorker has another editorial alongside Remnick's arguing that we have to go with Biden. It's pretty hard to argue with the reasoning in that piece.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21538 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
https://www.newyorker.com/news...-staying-in-the-race

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
if the point of this election is to defeat Trump—and I imagine for many Democrats it is—then you have to do some dirty calculations and realize that you don’t have a Plan B because all the backups aren’t ready yet, and because introducing one of them in the middle of the game is a risky gamble, at best. There are countless problems that would come with the process of choosing a new candidate—if you bypass Kamala Harris, for example, does she just go quietly? And how do you sell the optics of nullifying the logical norms of succession for the first Black person and first woman to ever serve as Vice-President? If you’re a supporter of Gavin Newsom, are you even sure he will agree to take on a potential losing and chaotic run at an office he could much more credibly run for in 2028? If you believe Gretchen Whitmer has the best chance of defeating Trump, because of her advantage in the “blue wall” states, does her relative paucity of national connections tank her chances in a convention setting? Perhaps none of these are as weighty of a concern as Biden’s bad debate, but every road you go down with any of the possible substitutes kicks up potentially endless questions like these.

Can you invite such chaos when you can’t even decide on the successor? Or are Biden’s chances so dismal that any warm body would be preferable to watching him decline in public, get mercilessly ridiculed by Trump for the next four months, and then ultimately lose a low-turnout landslide that also takes out Democrats in the House and Senate? What are the chances that the Party can actually coalesce around a plan, whatever that might be? There is also a question of timing: How do you litigate a potentially toxic battle for the candidacy and settle on a coherent message? How do they prepare candidates who haven’t been vetted for possible October surprises? A Biden replacement would not have the benefit of a primary season that would have increased their name recognition. Though it’s true that a bake-off convention might generate a lot of positive press coverage and excitement, it’s also possible that there just might not be enough time to craft any sort of pitch to the American people other than “This is the understudy for Biden and you should vote for them because they are not Donald Trump.”

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Choosing Biden is a fool's errand. He is cognitively impaired. Those who don't see it by now are not a group who will have an effect on the election. The whole country saw it.

It amazes me Biden on the day before the debate is the same Biden who existed on the day of the debate.

The DNC, et. al. and the usual subjects in the MSM were propping up an imagine of him, that imagine has imploded, and it can never be put back together again.

Posts: 25243 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Oops, satire

It might as well not be

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
What the Biden camp is glossing over is that Biden is behind.

If he were sitting on a lead, the debate wouldn’t matter.

Where are all the votes he needs going to come from?

Posts: 19831 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I think they're hoping that enough things will get demonstrably better over the next four months ... interest rates will come down at least once, possibly twice. Inflation will flatten. Some major price (housing) may start deflating (there are big measurement issues in the housing component of the price index). If these economic forces begin to move in the Dems favor, the hope is that people will vote for the status quo rather than a return to the clown show.