well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Biden needs to step aside
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 20

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Biden needs to step aside
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
And this one:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/0...is-biden-debate.html

The ticket should be Harris for president, Buttigieg for VP.

I would vote for that ticket in a flash. But Buttigieg might be more of a drag (remaining homophobes in the electorate) than a boost. The fraction of the voting base that his high intellect appeals to is vanishingly small, alas.

To all of those who want to dump Kamala in favor of Newsom or Whitmer at a brokered convention, keep in mind that dumping her could easily lead a quarter of the black female vote to sit this one out. Wanna lose an election? That's the easy way.

Posts: 12758 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Obama needs to talk to him.

Well, ...

Bad Debates Happen. I know ...

Posts: 12758 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Black people don’t like Harris. She got nowhere with us when she sought the nomination.

She used to prosecute people for using weed when she used weed, and giggled about it.

Dems can win without black people if we run a good candidate. The independents, suburbs, and never Trumpers are an unbeatable coalition.

Posts: 19832 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
A lot of prominent Dems and potential replacements are backing Bidenin public.

Good. That’s exactly what should happen. He has to be allowed space to make this decision. He needs to save face.

Privately, though? I think key people are awaiting the first round of polling and will make their case quietly.

I also think the reason Biden’s handlers agreed to such an early debate was to spare their boss from the worst beating in presidential history if he couldn’t cut it.They knew the risk and played it smart.

Posts: 19832 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Cindy, I couldn't agree with you more. I've been saying as much for some time.

Posts: 25287 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
Black people don’t like Harris. She got nowhere with us when she sought the nomination.

She used to prosecute people for using weed when she used weed, and giggled about it.

Dems can win without black people if we run a good candidate. The independents, suburbs, and never Trumpers are an unbeatable coalition.

I think I have met about five Never Trumpers, all online. You know ... people like George Conway and Adam Kinzinger. I wish there were more of them. Most of the Republicans seem to circle the wagons and vote R no matter what, sort of like their "leaders" who say one thing (McConnell after Jan. 6) and then fall right back in line supporting the rapist felon the next moment.

The suburban swing vote isn't in the old line Never Trumper category. That's always been a non-moored group whose votes are up for grabs.

Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Biden let us all down last night because he undermined a big part of the theory of the case of his campaign, that despite his age and clearly slowing down, he could be relied on to turn in a serviceable performance against a guy who is a pathological liar and, in his very different way, a wildly incoherent criminal. He didn’t. And that’s a bell that is very hard to unring. I don’t know the exact mix of things that led to that, who was responsible for what. But it happened. And now it looms over everything else.

--Josh Marshall

That pretty much sums up my feelings. I can't help feeling a bit of betrayal by the party. We should have been made aware that Biden unscripted is very far off from Biden scripted before and during the primaries. Yes, there was a goodly number of people bringing up his age, but like many I had the impression from Joe's speeches that he was still up to the job and I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I am having major difficulty shrugging off doubt now. And it pisses me off a little bit. This is a really, really bad place for the party to be at this moment.

--------------------------------
http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10678 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is a really, really bad place for the party to be at this moment.

Exactly.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18859 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
"We finally beat Medicare."-- Joe Biden

Posts: 25287 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
https://www.wsj.com/articles/t...debate-ever-89ba15ae

https://www.wsj.com/articles/t...opwebshare_permalink

Peggy Noonan’s take above

I would celebrate a Harris / Buttijeg ticket but would be afraid of the jerks who would never vote black, woman, or gay. The Dems must put forth a ticket that has the best chance of beating Trump.

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17721 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
paywall

When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

Posts: 38215 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Sorry, can’t help, but I bet there’s a way to find it with Google

Posts: 17721 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Nope. You can't. I tried doing a search for the title and found an MSN version of the article. That usually bypasses the paywall.

When you click on the MSN version, it bounces to the WSJ and the paywall.

They've gotten crafty. This is something new.

When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

Posts: 38215 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
If Biden were to drop out he could solve a huge family problem and pardon Hunter.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
May I ask why no one is suggesting Trump step down because he’s a convicted felon?

Convicted felon is a lot worse than one botched debate.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35083 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post