well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  The Soundboard    Piano picture of the day
Page 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 299
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Piano picture of the day
 Login/Join

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
It's a Steinway! (isn't Google great?)

By Joseph Sidorowicz
Vertical Model

From the tropical rising palms of curly maple on the case, to the wildlife print motif covering the bench, Oasis make a bold and exotic artistic statement. Rare contrasting woods are used to dramatic effect. The instruments sides are gently curved and crafted of figured maple, while the front features a rich Amboyna burl veneer. Oasis makes a refreshingly original impact.

Joseph Sidorowicz is supervisor of the Pattern Shop at the Steinway & Sons Factory. His considerable design and woodworking skills are essential in meeting the design and manufacturing challenges of creating Steinway custom and limited edition pianos. Prior to joining Steinway & Sons in 1994, Mr. Sidorowicz had his own custom woodworking business, designing and fabricating custom furniture and architectural components. He also has experience in antique furniture and restoration, and sold several pieces to Sotheby's. Mr. Sidorowicz received his BA in Industrial Design at Pratt Institute. The culmination of his talents is powerfully expressed in his vertical piano art case design, Oasis.

--------------------------------
Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7586 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Shoot. It's most likely out of my price range.

It sure is a nice-looking pie-anna.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30039 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
A piano lover thinking ahead????

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7586 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
I knew that some old pianos have been turned into aquariums, saving them from the landfill.

This one took an old upright player - removed only the player action and installed two fish tanks! You can see the strings behind the lower one, and the action in the top picture. It still is playable, though I bet it would be a chore to tune!!

Oh I don't know Ron... a few tunerfish would do the trick, don't ya think.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10597 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
((((((groan)))))) GoneMad

Here's another hanging piano as artwork:

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I've been meaning to scan in a picture of that -- I saw it before I had a digital camera.

It is about the only thing I found "interesting" at the Tate Modern.

It actually opens and closes every ten minutes or so.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
If you use google images and search under modern art piano - the origional is there in the first couple of pages... I shrunk that one down to fit to the screen.

Here's another Steinway artcase... "Northstar"

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
I've been meaning to scan in a picture of that -- I saw it before I had a digital camera.

It makes such a horrendous noise when opening.

I really liked the new tate, by the way. We probably have different tastes in art.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33811 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
quote:

It makes such a horrendous noise when opening.

I really liked the new tate, by the way. We probably have different tastes in art.

It does indeed.

We probably do.

I did not care for the animated pile of metal junk, the gloss black two-foot-long wiener, or the TV under the end of the sofa with the continuous look of the woman saying "oh, my gosh... oh, wow..." etc. I thought the pharmacy thing was okay.

I can spend hours upon hours at Tate Britain. Tate Modern was *not* worth the very long walk from the Tube station, IMHO.

(BTW, do you know what was on the site of Tate Britain before it was Tate?)

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Beatification Candidate
Picture of apple
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Kirk to Enterprise... beam me up, Scotty."

i believe I saw that piano... a commemorative Steinway?

Posts: 9156 | Location: kc | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Incognito
Beatification Candidate
Picture of ChickGrand
posted Hide Post
quote:

This one might get me to change my mind about cremation, provided the piano was black and the pedestal perhaps light brown granite and grand piano shaped as well, with the legs correctly positioned further back and with a pedal lyre, and Lecuona on the music desk. Too bad my only friend in the bigtime mausoleum business is now in a nursing home with Alzheimers. She lived for a year off the commission on Roy Clark's prepay. No discount for me now. Smokin'

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." -- Albert Einstein

Posts: 6631 | Location: Milky Way Galaxy | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
It does indeed.

We probably do.

I did not care for the animated pile of metal junk, the gloss black two-foot-long wiener, or the TV under the end of the sofa with the continuous look of the woman saying "oh, my gosh... oh, wow..." etc. I thought the pharmacy thing was okay.

I can spend hours upon hours at Tate Britain. Tate Modern was *not* worth the very long walk from the Tube station, IMHO.

(BTW, do you know what was on the site of Tate Britain before it was Tate?)

You remember it in much more detail than I do. I was last there in 2002.

I cant rememebr about the site - was it a train station? A factory?

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33811 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apple:
quote:
"Kirk to Enterprise... beam me up, Scotty."

i believe I saw that piano... a commemorative Steinway?

Yes, that's right! (I can't find the info on it right now....)

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Beatification Candidate
Picture of apple
posted Hide Post
I don't know that I like the design.. I got to play it and it was superb... Lots of famous musicians signed it, if I remember.

Posts: 9156 | Location: kc | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of apple
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick (CG):
quote:

This one might get me to change my mind about cremation, provided the piano was black and the pedestal perhaps light brown granite and grand piano shaped as well, with the legs correctly positioned further back and with a pedal lyre, and Lecuona on the music desk. Too bad my only friend in the bigtime mausoleum business is now in a nursing home with Alzheimers. She lived for a year off the commission on Roy Clark's prepay. No discount for me now. Smokin'

-hoping they'll just put some piano keys on my tombstone