well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Today I saw...
Page 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 69

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Today I saw...
 Login/Join

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:

That IS beautiful! It would be heartbreaking for anyone to see it fallen into disrepair - most of all someone with a childhood connection. Frowner

(I'll bet the interior was wonderful too!)

It wasn't particularly chi-chi when we lived in it, but it wasn't falling apart, either. The spiffy photo is after someone did a renovation. It was cosmetically nice on the outside, but they painted over all the beautiful stained bullseye woodwork on the inside, and put in wall to wall carpet (so not period appropriate).

When we lived there, it was actually a 2 family house, with a LR/DR kitchen 2BR up, and LR/DR kitchen 2BR down, but we all ate downstairs with my grandparents. At the fullest, it was grandparents, 4 adult kids/3 spouses, 6 grandkids. Full house! (We were using the upstairs LR/DR as bedrooms, too)

--------------------------------
http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Lookie. snow...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Unexpectedly...
we saw it here yesterday morning, as well. And the day was planned around final raking of leaves and cleaning out the brook of leaves before winter set in...
Nope!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Today I saw: Banuelos Mexicanos!

A holiday tradition in some parts of Mexico, along with the giant pot of tamales Marguerite has on the stove. Marguerite is my tenant and must be the best cook on the planet, especially in the area of making delicious food out of nothing at all.

Marguerite and Bolivar are originally from Michoacan, and the apartment they rent from me is the first space of their own they have ever had. They have two children, both honor students at the local grade school.

When Marguerite isn't working she is cooking and I have never had such food. Good thing I like it because she is seriously insulted if I don't take some when she brings it to me.

Banuelos are a crispy fried dough and if you have ever had a tostada in a tortilla bowl you have an idea of the texture - very crisp - shatters when you break off a piece. I'm not sure what all she fries them in but bacon fat is surely a component 'cuz they taste like chicharrones. Tradition is to sprinkle them with cinnamon sugar but these are more savory to me - a little cayenne and maybe some salsa and they would be perfect.

I'm going to set them out tomorrow along with the traditional feast. My wife will not be happy about this. My brother and my BIL will love them.

As will the dogs, because she insisted on giving me more of them that we will ever eat.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post

Mt. Hood, from the south on Wednesday, before dawn. Rainier or Adams in the background. I wasn't expecting to see this; I just happened to look up at the right time.

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The Anza Borrego desert - just West of the Salton Sea.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
This morning's run..It was dark enough at 6:40am that I needed a light on the road..but as the sun came up, I was on the way home thru the state park in my back yard...I never tire of it.

The trail past "Indian Rock"

Frog Pond as the sun rose, not cold but there was ice on the water and at this time of year very quiet. In spring? You need earplugs!

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"One half of me is a hopeless romantic, the other half is so damn realistic."
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
Lovely. I'm glad you're still enjoying running!

Problems are not the problem. Coping is the problem. --Virginia Satir

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Untitled

Snow is a big deal in PDX. We don't really know what to do with it. It was just a light dusting, maybe 1/2 inch to an inch. But it's pretty!

Technically, it was yesterday morning, but I'm still awake past midnight, so it's still today to me!

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
A WONDERFUL picture.

I suggest it as a happy holiday card, boxed. Non-sectarian, seasonal, lovely.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Worked a booth at the Christmas Carriage Parade with the alumni association in my home town- fun. Cold, but fun. The horses and carriages are magnificent. Folks come from many states to see this. They do a candlelight parade after dark as well which is quite beautiful, although we decided it was too cold to stick around. I love my hometown.

Luckily we had a prime spot on the north side of the street with a big gap between two buildings so we had sun all day. And an electric blanket.

This was the best video i could find.

[flash]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3DbFSzi5xU[/s]

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13558 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Mik your town looks like a larger version of our nearby Concord. The tree lighting was last week, a smaller affair but a good gig for Shorty, who has worked as "Rudolph" the last three years. He still fits in the costume so he still has the job!

Today, I really needed some Xmas spirit..just not feeling it yet..so...after our neighbor mentioned our star (which we haven't put up in the last few years) I brow beat Mr. BeeLady into climbing the very high ladder...remember he is 6'5"

And before it got dark I went for a run...boy, I never thought this would be such a requirement in my life..but I don't feel good without it...

So this after noon I took a shorter route, just a faster pace..the trail I need to take on the way home is past a hound kennel....They were out and very noisy...

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
A WONDERFUL picture.

I suggest it as a happy holiday card, boxed. Non-sectarian, seasonal, lovely.

Love.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
On our way to the hospital Friday morning:

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
A gift from my staff