well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Today I saw...
Page 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 69

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Today I saw...
 Login/Join

"One half of me is a hopeless romantic, the other half is so damn realistic."
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
I toured our high school, built in 1971, plagued with mold, undercapity for our growing population, and ill-equipped for today's curriculum. Because of Massachusetts local property tax ceilings, the town must pass an override to fund a renovation.

Here are the photos I took with descriptions of the deficiencies.

High School Tour

--------------------------------
Problems are not the problem. Coping is the problem. --Virginia Satir

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:

My new idea for decor this Xmas

Are you going to do all yarn, or wrap styrofoam balls? The displays I've seen use styrofoam. (Starbucks and a yarn shop)

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
quote:

Are you going to do all yarn, or wrap styrofoam balls? The displays I've seen use styrofoam. (Starbucks and a yarn shop)

Styro is the way to go..otherwise there is less yarn to use for other things!

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rustyfingers:
Here are the photos I took with descriptions of the deficiencies.

High School Tour

Wow. So sad. That was a very well constructed building back in the day.

The first thing they need to do is fire whoever is in charge of maintaining that building. If anyone mentions the word "budget" during the firing, fire that person too.

These problems did not crop up over night.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34946 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
They did not. They are compounded by the fact that Massachusetts prop 2 1/2 limits tax increases, resulting in skimping on maintenance.

The biggest issue is that the high school was built on the flood plain of our river. All of the building plant and maintenance is in the basement, the floor of which has sunk below the water table. So even running the ventilation full times puts moisture back into the building. The maintenance staff is relegated to putting fingers in the dike.

The town has made a proposal to renovate the school and address the moisture issues. The state has agreed to kick in almost 1/3 of the cost. But the citizens have to pass a budget override vote to authorize the project. If it doesn't pass, the state money goes away, and dike continues to spring leaks. They replace the ceiling and floor tiles and repaint and patch the roof on a regular basis, but haven't had funding for major repairs. The whole system is broken.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
So what is the plan? Are they going to move the air handlers out of the basement?

If they don't they are pouring money down a rathole.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34946 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
That is part of the plan.

Essentially they want to gut the building, leaving the supports and slabs, move all the utilities to the first floor, decommission the basement, install water barriers and insulation, add three new wings, rearrange the classrooms, and start over again with sustainable building design.

The proposal passed town meeting overwhelmingly last night. The citizens have to vote on the override on December 10. I've been up all night writing an article for the local paper on the tour I took.

A lot of peoples' knee-jerk reaction to any override vote is "hell no". I want to do my part to make sure people know what they are voting for or against.

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Good luck with that RF.

Our HS was built in 1959.

Our new one is under construction right now at a cost just under $100 million. Eeker

It will not be complete in time for Shorty, a Junior this year. Frowner

And we will then be ready to move out of the tax region as we just can't afford it anymore, less so when we don't get to reap the rewards.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
$130 million here minus a $45 million grant from the state.

choochiefingers will be able to experience the first phase of the renovation. The whole thing will be finished for monkeyfingers' junior year.

If the override passes.

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
quote:

Styro is the way to go..otherwise there is less yarn to use for other things!

Agreed. Also, they have better shape and won't droop.

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Sunday's hike. Couldn't get these to post from my phone. I was in Ellensburg, WA, visiting friends who moved to the dry side of the Cascade Mountains.

Umtanum Creek hike

Umtanum Creek hike

Umtanum Creek. Probably flows into the Yakima River. Pretty!

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Not my favorite Chevy. The model year before was classic.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7407 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I'm catching up, so instead of "today I saw", it's more like "over the last couple of weeks I saw". I remember to take the pics, but not to upload and post them here.

The Japanese maple's color is glorious:

Got a German car? Italian? I've got the place for you:

At World Market:

Been seeing a lot of these trees lately in commercial plantings. I think it's an Autumn Blaze maple, which I think has red and silver maples in its background. Really nice color and they don't seem be nearly as messy as their silver maple ancestor. Nicer structure, too.

Sand sculptures at a local mall.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
This was on our morning walk. (I am liking this semi-retirement life!) Ginko trees after the first good frost drop leaves all in one day. This one will probably be bare by this afternoon!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7555 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post