well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  The Pinblock    the wtf fifth anniversary reunion--philadelphia, cunningham's, date?, 2010--be there! planning now!
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

the wtf fifth anniversary reunion--philadelphia, cunningham's, date?, 2010--be there! planning now!
 Login/Join

Nobody's $hillbot
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of OperaTenor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
Originally posted by OperaTenor:
You know, just the fact that Rich, Big Al and FTP are in Philly is good enough reason to get my vote.

What am I, chopped liver?

Oh, and Big Al is in Pittsburgh....all the way at the OTHER end of PA...it's like a different world out there. But we love him anyway.

See? I need to go to Philly just for a PA geography remedial, if nothing else. Red Face

(Sorry Lisa, I got you and Al mixed up.)

Posts: 25662 | Location: Sandy Eggo, CA | Registered: 15 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nobody's $hillbot
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of OperaTenor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rich galassini:
OK,

Here are a few cool things that a Philly reunion could offer:

1) Lisa
2) FTP
3) I could put together a really cool concert\party featuring Philly prodigies, OT, a name artist, or something else cool.
4) Piano factory tour.
5) Piano taste test like this one - http://www.whyy.org/podcast/news/arts20080730.mp3
6) a CHEESESTEAK PARTY!!

How'z that for starters??

Rich, you, Matt & me: Fugue for Tinhorns. Whaddya say?

Posts: 25662 | Location: Sandy Eggo, CA | Registered: 15 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Ooooh, a CHEESESTEAK PARTY? Woot

What about a masterclass?

Or who has played on that big Bosie where the the musician played in the home before / aft a concert?

I know what others mean about the flights though. Heck just trying to lecture at Harrisburg has me needing to go at odd ours or having a one stop. UGH!

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bernard:
I'm going to cast my vote for Philly if the party is held on the east coast.

The history is -- well, you know. The location is less than 50/50 for east coasters but it is a little less humid and hot than DC and is almost as central.

Reasons 1-5 that rich posted.

Put me down for Philly.

Another thing is the city is just a lot cheaper than the other east coast cities.

And Lisa will be there. Wink

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
high maintenance

What Life?
Picture of plays88keys
posted Hide Post
Philly rocks! Here's one famous pianist who thinks so: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhyMvQ_N7Zc

Posts: 2485 | Location: at my computer | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of Nan W
posted Hide Post
Not sure I could come, but I would like to. Any of the cities so far mentioned would be okay. Philadelphia would work because my family has already said they'd like to go there.

But California would be good too, since I could visit family on the same trip.

Posts: 2350 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: 08 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lilylady:
I know what others mean about the flights though. Heck just trying to lecture at Harrisburg has me needing to go at odd ours or having a one stop. UGH!

Have you considered Amtrak? The Acela service goes from Boston to Philadelphia and you can change at 30th Street Station for frequent electric Keystone service to Harrisburg.

Big Al

Posts: 7413 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt G.:
As much as I like Philadelphia, it's only a hub for US Air, as I recall. Chicago is a hub for both United and American, and there are few airlines that don't fly to one of our two major aiports. But it's not like I'm biased or anything. Leaving

I just flew US Air last month, it was miserable. However, Southwest has a direct flight from Austin to Philadelphia, so that would work.

I also love Chicago, and my sister lives in Berkeley now, so San Francisco would also be good. I'd consider anywhere as long as it's in the summer sometime.

Posts: 5151 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 02 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supreme Mugwump of the Wizengamot
Investment-grade Member
Picture of Muffin
posted Hide Post
I VOTE VEGAS! Big Grin

Only they shut down the Star Trek rides. :[

SmilerMuffin

Posts: 579 | Location: Florida | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nobody's $hillbot
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of OperaTenor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
And Lisa will be there. Wink

Hey, thanks for the salt, Jon.....

Wink

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I just noticed this thread. NYC of course is my fave (as I'm already here), but could travel to Phila. or maybe Boston. Sounds like fun!

Pinning down a date is harder. I don't know my playing schedule that far in advance, and some holiday weekends are spoken for (family reasons).

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of Jeffrey
posted Hide Post
Philly could be nice.

Anything "Amtrak corridor" Boston-to-Washington could also work for me.

Posts: 6497 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I would vote Chicago, but seeing as how I have no idea if I could make it (will my grad school savings hold out that long?!) I think I don't have voting rights yet.

But I will be sure to put this thread on my must-lurk-in for the next two years. Ole

Posts: 18530 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
but seeing as how I have no idea if I could make it

uh-uh. this kind of talk is not allowed. you MUST be there, or be banned from wtf forever more. Wink this is the fundamental premise of the reunion.

so let's pick a date, people, and then commit. nobody has plans this far out ahead. tell your family to hold their reunion/vacation/whatever some other weekend. you are committed.

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
uh-uh. this kind of talk is not allowed. you MUST be there, or be banned from wtf forever more. Wink this is the fundamental premise of the reunion.

so let's pick a date, people, and then commit. nobody has plans this far out ahead. <snip> you are committed.

Pique', surely you can't mean this (except I know you were kidding about being banned Smiler)

I do understand your enthusiasm for the gathering and the desire to have everyone there.

But...if we set a date in 2010, and later someone offers me a concert or a European ensemble tour that must be on a date that conflicts with the WTF get-together, I should forfeit the $1K to $3K so I can come to the WTF meet? You as a freelance writer should certainly understand, but perhaps such a situation didn't occur to you.

Still, if we set it during the summer, that would increase the certainty of my coming. Smiler

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post