well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  The Pinblock    the wtf fifth anniversary reunion--philadelphia, cunningham's, date?, 2010--be there! planning now!
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

the wtf fifth anniversary reunion--philadelphia, cunningham's, date?, 2010--be there! planning now!
 Login/Join

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Sounds good to me. Yes, even difficult little me! Wink Especially if it's Philly.

We used to go to the Hamptons over Memorial Day. But in the last few years, Memorial Day coincides with gypsy moth larva season. So everywhere you go, there are billions of little green wormy caterpillars hanging in mid-air. It's disgusting.

Posts: 13818 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I'm in.

Oh wait, its in Philly? I think I have to wash my hair that day.

Big Grin

Posts: 33801 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
maybe i can persuade marc to come with me! i think he does some work in philly.

Posts: 21353 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of fathertopianist
posted Hide Post
Last time I spoke with Rich G (last week during the Andre Watts meet and greet) he was committed to hosting (and he's looking more like Ben Franklin with each passing day). Not sure why he hasn't weighed in here recently.

Posts: 4838 | Registered: 04 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
high maintenance

What Life?
Picture of plays88keys
posted Hide Post
I'm in! Those of you who've never been to Cunningham are in for the treat of your lives - I kid you not.

The downtown Marriott is a nice place to stay, too. Lots of stuff to do right there, and a Maggiano's across the street for a great Italian dinner. Been there twice. Oh and there's a Courtyard Marriott too - it costs a bit less.

It isn't near Germantown though. Maybe Rich can recommend a place closer...just not in the crackhouse neighborhood I found myself in when I made a wrong turn leaving the vicinity! suave

Posts: 2485 | Location: at my computer | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in.

Posts: 1471 | Location: [s]NYC[/s] Upstate NY | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
this is great!

now we have to persuade our westerners to make a commitment:

jodi
steve
pj
ot
kenny
teachum
adagiom
rick
doug
nina
anyone else on the left coast or nearby...

please say you'll join us in philadelphia for our fifth wtf reunion over memorial day weekend, 2010.

plenty of time to plan!

much more affordable than nyc!

the idea is all of us are there at the same time, for the first time...

the more of us who commit, the more we'll persuade to come out of the woodwork....

especially if you've never come to one of these gatherings before, this is the one you don't want to miss....

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
then we also need our midwesterners

kluurs
eldon
usapt
matt
apple
chickgrand
et al.

you're close enough to take the train!

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
re-reading this thread, i see there are a few peeps of protest over having it memorial day weekend, for the teachers and those with kids in school.

if people know they can't make it then, i'm definitely open to alternative ideas.

my own personal experience is that fares are usually higher, and flights are more crowded after school is out in june. i went to a family reunion over memorial day weekend this year, and we didn't see higher fares then.

but the main thing is that we all can make it.

so, definitely philly, and dates open still to discussion.

plus, most importantly, we need rich to weigh in on whether cunningham's can host, and when.

where is he?

can people please tell us you first, second, and third preference for dates, and also tell us when you absolutely can't do it, if you know?

What Life?
Picture of josh
posted Hide Post
Sounds fantastic!

Posts: 2519 | Registered: 21 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Techno-Stud
Minor Deity
Picture of Matt G.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
then we also need our midwesterners

Yes, if for nothing other than to balance the extremism of the coasts! Wink

Count me in.

Posts: 15343 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
plus, most importantly, we need rich to weigh in on whether cunningham's can host, and when.

where is he?
Yes, it would be a shame if we were forced to hold our raucous gatherings at SOME OTHER Philly piano store... Roll Eyes Eeker

Posts: 13818 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nobody's $hillbot
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of OperaTenor
posted Hide Post
What if we moved it to the first or second weekend in June? Would that help with the teachers in the crowd?

(We're pretty much and 'in' at this point.)

Posts: 25662 | Location: Sandy Eggo, CA | Registered: 15 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as tall as PL
What Life?
posted Hide Post
Wow,

Thank you to ftp for giving me a "heads up" about hosting an event at Cunningham.

I am up for it.

We can spend some time in our restoration facility, play some pianos, see some sights, take in a show (not broadway, but still good), maybe even get a local artist to give us a recital!

I can be a little flexible on the dates.

This is soooo cool! Smiler

Posts: 2679 | Location: Philly/South Jersey | Registered: 17 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of fathertopianist
posted Hide Post
Rich

I'm sure there's no end to the creative things people could think of with your selection of pianos and available space. I'm sure someone will volunteer to be the event planner for the Cunningham visit. It's very generous of you to offer.

While it's early here are a few things to think about that are great things to do in Philly:

1. Barnes Foundation-extraordinary collection of Impressionist Art, if you don't know about it, you'll wonder how it was kept such a secret to the outside world.
2. Philadelphia Museum of Art, Franklin Institute, Mutter Muesum
3. Rodin Museum
4. Philadelphia Night Walking Tour/Society Hill (Ben Franklin and the history of Phila-through historical section of town).
5. National Constitution Center
6. Independence Hall
7. Chinatown
8. Italian Market
9. Kimmel Center--even just to walk through
10. Reading Terminal Center
11. Further out-- Valley Forge Park, Brandywine Museum (think Wyeth), Longwood Gardens (stunning)
12. Lots of great restaurants at affordable prices.

Bonus--Much of what you can do is within walking distance.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot. What else?

Posts: 4838 | Registered: 04 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post