well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  The Pinblock    the wtf fifth anniversary reunion--philadelphia, cunningham's, date?, 2010--be there! planning now!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

the wtf fifth anniversary reunion--philadelphia, cunningham's, date?, 2010--be there! planning now!
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markb:
Besides, between naps, watching Matlock, the 4:00 senior special at Denny's, and a 5:30 bedtime, Doug doesn't have time to chase wimmenfolk.

You don't think there are wimmin at Denny's at 4:00pm?

You've obviously never ordered the blue-haired special....

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Does that come with a side ord....

.... nah, I can't.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
It's for the best, Jon...

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
bump!!
maybe this thread should be a sticky, non?

Posts: 21352 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Oui.

So how are we going to decide when and where? Take a vote? Appoint a committee? Let someone volunteer to spearhead organizational stuff, and let them have it in their town?

I think the conversation so far has clarified the broad-brush things that have to be decided soon.

1. When will this thing happen? We need to decide whether there's anything to contraindicate summer, since school schedules factor in for teachers, spouses of teachers, parents, and students. And do we want to have it on a holiday weekend, or avoid it?

2. What city? I'm hearing that it might not matter all that much, as long as the city is an airport hub.

3. What kind of venue? Someone's home, with people finding their own lodging? A retreat center, which might be less posh than some options, but would have a distinct benefit of allowing more time to visit with each other? Or some kind of hybrid of the two--perhaps renting a reception hall for the party and letting people stay where they like.

Any other thoughts?

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member SIPC
Minor Deity
Picture of markb
posted Hide Post
quote:
A retreat center, which might be less posh than some options, but would have a distinct benefit of allowing more time to visit with each other?

And this would be a good thing?

Posts: 14230 | Location: Merry Land | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
Any other thoughts?

There should be snacks.

Gadfly
Picture of USAPT
posted Hide Post
Chicago would be nice.

Expensive, but nice.

Las Vegas has great airfaires and great deals on rooms. Pianos abound and it wouldn't be hard to get access to some of the more fun ones -- like the art deco "B" at Bellagio or something.

Posts: 3457 | Registered: 14 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of fathertopianist
posted Hide Post
Let's see, a city:

1. that is a major airline hub.
2. that is located between two major cities with lots of members and a great railway system.
3. where hotels are reasonably priced.
4. with lots of history.
5. with an incredible impressionist art gallery.
6. known for its restaurants.
7. that could provide a piano factory tour.
8. where nearly all major piano brands could be played in one setting.
9. that is in the top six in population.
10. that is not intimitading to get around and has big city feel with small town charm.

If only we could find a city that matches all these characteristics.

Posts: 4838 | Registered: 04 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fathertopianist:
Let's see, a city:

2. that is located between two major cities with lots of members and a great railway system.
4. with lots of history.
10. that is not intimitading to get around and has big city feel with small town charm.

Funny, but I don't remember some of those characteristics being discussed. Nice, of course, but I just don't remember others mentioning them.

The phrase "stacked deck" comes to mind.

Posts: 45750 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
i'm voting for washington, dc. cindy, can you have the estonia ready for us by spring 2010?

Big Grin

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
seriously, we should take a vote.

here's a selection based on where we have the most forum members:

new york metro area
soca
washington metro area
chicago metro area
seattle
boston metro area

too bad we don't have more forum members from the san francisco bay area (why is that?) that would be a great place to have the party, too. i like it better than soca or seattle for a west coast location.

new york is probably both the easiest to get to and has the most forum members within a 100 mile radius.

chicago is more central, obviously, but how many of us are in the vicinity of chicago?

boston has lots of forum members nearby too, but it is pretty far away for people in the northwest, southwest, and southeast.

thoughts on the other locations?

otoh, we could all drop in on daniel in hawaii in february. Big Grin

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:

Indeed that would be ideal. However the Emerald City only exists in fiction. Neener

If you're angling for Philadelphia, I rather like the idea. I don't agree that it meets all the criteria, but it comes fairly close.

Maybe if we package this as a convention, we could get special rates on rooms and access to pianos from a hotel. The togetherness of a retreat center sounds fine, but a hotel might be easier to pull off and a city hotel typically has lots of places in and near the hotel where smaller groups can convene based on their common interests. Failing in the finding of common interests, we could always divide up and take and give odds on the various fights. Evil

Big Al

Posts: 7413 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of fathertopianist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:
Let's see, a city:

4. with lots of history.

Funny, but I don't remember some of those characteristics being discussed. Nice, of course, but I just don't remember others mentioning them.

The phrase "stacked deck" comes to mind.

Well' it's hard for a Philadelphian to feel they have stacked any decks. Big Grin We are used to being passed by and passed over. I wonder if the Phila contingent isn't reading this thread and might be interested in presenting a compelling case (ala being the "WTF Olympics" city. Time for Phila members to weigh in.

Posts: 4838 | Registered: 04 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
I'd be in for NYC or DC (anywhere I don't have to fly). But don't forget Philadelphia (the poor overlooked stepsibling of DC and NY) -- we don't have a ton of members actually living here, but hotel rates are cheap, there's lots to see, we could probably convince Rich to let us hang at Cunninghams for a while, and it's an easy train ride from NYC and DC (and from New England too, just a little longer!). Oh, and we have cheesesteaks, LOL!

I already weighed in for Philly, back at the top of page 2. Now I feel REALLY overlooked!

Posts: 4406 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post