well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  The Pinblock    the wtf fifth anniversary reunion--philadelphia, cunningham's, date?, 2010--be there! planning now!
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

the wtf fifth anniversary reunion--philadelphia, cunningham's, date?, 2010--be there! planning now!
 Login/Join

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Well, as someone once said, "I've been thrown out of better bars than this."

Joe, I truly think piqué is just engaging in a bit of hyperbole in her role as cheerleader for the event. Nonetheless, nailing down a date and venue well in advance is a good idea for a number of reasons. I've been involved with organizing meets and conventions several times and the lead time on hotel space in particular can be surprisingly long. We aren't looking for meeting rooms, a ballroom, and a banquet, I don't think, but we might still want to coordinate a private reception area and a group rate so we can all stay together. If a retreat center or some similar venue is the preferred location, then advance booking becomes even more important.

Big Al

Posts: 7420 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
No, no, I'm not disputing the value of making arrangements so far in advance. Just saying that it's hard for some of us to do that. Or that, if we do, we may have to back out later. That's not a likely scenario, but possible.

Posts: 13818 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
there, there, joe. of course we will understand if you have to go to outer uzbekistan for a concert. Frowner

Big Grin

Posts: 21353 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nobody's $hillbot
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of OperaTenor
posted Hide Post
Anytime after mid-May and before the end of August works for me.

Posts: 25662 | Location: Sandy Eggo, CA | Registered: 15 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
how about memorial day weekend, 2010?

is there anyone here who can't make that?

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I just read through this thread--Memorial Day would be tough for me--my kids are still in school and it's Ninette #2's senior year so there are likely to be stuffs going on. But.... it's not impossible, I may be able to sneak out for a weekend. And (cough cough Rich cough cough) I could look at pianos starting with 'E' at Philly piano stores!

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
great! so the question is WHEN?

we're planning 1.5 years in advance. if we can just commit to a time.... with the understanding that joe may not be in control of his concert schedule, of course. Smiler

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blondie:
I just love listening to that huge gilt organ in that department store downtown. Twice a day as I recall. Wonder which store chain took that over?

Macy's. It was Wanamakers. Here's a link to a recent National Public Radio story on it: Philadelphia's Legendary Pipe Organ Is Restored

Big Al

Posts: 7420 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big al:
quote:
Originally posted by blondie:
I just love listening to that huge gilt organ in that department store downtown. Twice a day as I recall. Wonder which store chain took that over?

Macy's. It was Wanamakers. Here's a link to a recent National Public Radio story on it: Philadelphia's Legendary Pipe Organ Is Restored

Big Al

YES! This is it. I've never heard anything so grand as this particular organ. 28,000 pipes! 32 feet long some of them. My gosh. I think I've been to Philly 3 or 4 times & each time I've made the stop in this store for a must-see & listen. A great story Big Al. I'm so glad it's been restored.
Smiler

Posts: 2482 | Registered: 30 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I think there's still a fair case to be made for the pipe organ being man's greatest creation. I suspect I can get some support for that from USAPT.

Big Al

What Life?
Picture of piqaboo
posted Hide Post
How about the first or third weekend in June, to free up the teachers?
Hotel rates go up the Friday of Memorial Day weekend, so there's no savings having it that weekend.

Posts: 2691 | Registered: 07 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
piq, thanks for kicking this ball in motion again.

anyone? what about piq's suggestion?

Foregoing Vacation to Post
posted Hide Post
Well who can control everything. Hope its on the East Coast.

Posts: 1090 | Location: Isle of Long, New York | Registered: 07 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I think we need a benevolent dictator to pull this all together. Everyone can make suggestions (at possible risk to your head), but the dictator makes the final decisions. I propose piqué lead the coup d'etat.

Big Al

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
i'd say the advantage of making it memorial day weekend is that no matter what you do, you get those three days off. if you try to travel in summer, kids are out of school and it's harder to get seats on the planes.

so i'm going to vote in favor of memorial day weekend, 2010.

is there anyone who already knows that would not work for them?

anyone opposed?

don't be shy!

oh, and since we've never had a big party in philadelphia, and since it is convenient for most of our members and has planes and trains and buses getting us there, i think that's a great idea.

now we just need to persuade cunningham pianos to do the hosting!