well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  The Pinblock    The WTF Losers
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 53
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The WTF Losers
 Login/Join

Beatification Candidate
Picture of EHpianist
posted Hide Post
My goodness. How much food do you Americans eat???? I mean, with all the hours of excercise you are doing daily you should all be stick thin! Is it the portions they serve there? I can't believe any of you are overweight investing all this time on excercise.

Seriously, this has me very curious. In Europe most people do not actively excercise nor get any cardio workouts. They do walk everywhere though, but at a normal walking pace. And most people here are not overweight. I dont get it.

Elena
http://www.pianofourhands.com

Posts: 7252 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Techno-Stud
Minor Deity
Picture of Matt G.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EHpianist:
My goodness. How much food do you Americans eat???? (....) I dont get it.
Yes, you do!

Posts: 15343 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of EHpianist
posted Hide Post
It's not just that. I've been thinking about it. People eat 3 course meals here all the time. I think it also has to do with eating packaged/processed foods. Cookies, chips, twinkies, cakes, etc. I think all of these pre-packaged foods are just bad for your body and slow your system down. People here eat mostly fresh foods and use fresh ingredients for everything so there are no hydrogenated oils. The people you see who are overweight here you also see snacking on doritos and the like.

Elena

Posts: 7252 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EHpianist:
People here eat mostly fresh foods and use fresh ingredients for everything ...

Me too. Someone once said you shouldn't buy any food item that your grandmother wouldn't recognize. I think thats good advice.

(ok, my grandmother wouldn't recognize wasabi, manchego cheese, and lots of other fresh stuff but you know what i mean)

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of EHpianist
posted Hide Post
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you Jon-nyc as "exhibit A". Smiler

Elena

Chatty Kathy
Beatification Candidate
Picture of teachum
posted Hide Post
You've got it Elena! People eat too much and they eat too much processed food and they sit on their butts too much. I want to lose some weight, but way too many people in this country are truly and scarily obese. It is gross!

Everything is super-sized, double-sized and all-you-can eat! My students eat chips, cookies and junk on a daily basis. Things that I only got as a special treat as a kid. Our school lunch is pizza, hotdogs, hamburgers, M&C - you get the idea. And then to add insult to injury - they only get half/hour P.E. a week. Americans are in big trouble!

In many cases we can't walk everywhere we go because we live so spread out - especially in rural areas. I can just see me trudging 5 miles to school in the winter in 3 feet of snow. But, most people will drive around the parking lot of a mall for 10 minutes looking for a close parking space. I usually take one far away - unless it's raining.

Posts: 8032 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Incognito
Beatification Candidate
Picture of ChickGrand
posted Hide Post
My goal was to drop from 200 to 175. I did it some weeks ago without even thinking or trying. Smiler

I've made four batches of fudge since then, though, so I have no idea where I am at the moment. But my clothes are still loose. Yes

Posts: 6631 | Location: Milky Way Galaxy | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chatty Kathy
Beatification Candidate
Picture of teachum
posted Hide Post
Hi RIck - glad to see you back.

Okay - my official weigh-in after one week is 96#. I guess I have to be happy with 4# in a week. In case you didn't read the whole thread, Rick. We all weighed in at 100 cuz no one wants to say their ACTUAL weight!

Off to go on a 4 hour trail ride - that should burn some cals!

Posts: 8032 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I was bad yesterday. Very very very bad. I did go to the gym, but I also ate. A lot of very yummy stuff. Frowner I'm not even getting on the scale today...

Smiler Jodi (who is hoping her yee-ouchy calf muscle will be up for a 3 mile brisk walk today)

Posts: 20445 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chatty Kathy
Beatification Candidate
Picture of teachum
posted Hide Post
Jodi - I think you are allowed to be bad once a week - but not very, very, very bad. Good plan though - not to get on the scale.

Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
OK, I will join. My goal is to lose 7 pounds....down to 93.

Today, I didn't eat three donuts after hearing a story on NPR about Crispy Creme.

jf

Posts: 17677 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chatty Kathy
Beatification Candidate
Picture of teachum
posted Hide Post
How many did you eat?

Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by teachum:
How many did you eat?

None! I don't eat donuts.

Anyway, I am at 98!

jf

Posts: 17677 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Ok, today I am BACK ON THE WAGON. (I was good yesterday until I sat in front of the TV last night and watched "The Notebook" and chowed down on way too much of some sort of healthy looking crunchy granola-y cereal by the handfuls. I'm sure one serving size was a very healthy snack, but when you sit there with the box in your lap and stuff your face with handful after handful, well, you get the picture. Roll Eyes *sigh* (I am SUCH a loser. I am not EVEN getting on the scale this morning.)

Off to the gym to lift weights.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20445 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of EHpianist
posted Hide Post
Jonathan was here this weekend so I was pretty bad Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday morning I jogged and walked for about 35 minutes. But we went out to dinner both evenings. Also we went to Toledo Sunday and one of their specialties is Marzipan so I had quite a bit of that! But at least in Toledo we spent the whole day walking the very steep hills of the town, and it was really hot so we worked up quite a sweat.

This is Toledo:

Today, after I dropped Jonathan off at the airport I went to the market and bought the ingredients to make Gazpacho Soup. I plan on having that all week. Healthy, tasty, filling, and oh so delicous and cool in the summer!

Elena