well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  About Us    Culinary school rantings :) *added a couple pictures*
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 29
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Culinary school rantings :) *added a couple pictures*
 Login/Join

What Life?
Picture of Bill_D
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lilylady:
Just saw this on pots and pans ebay...
Did you know that EMERIL is a musician? Wonder what he plays!

Emeril is a drummer.

Posts: 2515 | Location: San Francisco, California! | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muffin's sister:
I apparently wasn't going to give up like half of the rest of the class. Nope! I will get it right.
So all those things your mother has said about you are true.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Be thankful you are not in 'housewifery 101'!

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Or 'healthfoods' 101!

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Or then there was the 'Betty Crocker Crew'

What Life?
Picture of piqaboo
posted Hide Post
I love this thread. Such pretty food!

What a challenge culinary school is - I guess its because a 'real' job in the kitchen is also physically and mentally demaning so they try to weed people out?

Being kitchen manager for this class sucks right now but I bet its a nice thing to have on a resume or to bring up in an interview.

Posts: 2691 | Registered: 07 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqaboo:

+1

Posts: 24740 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill_D:
quote:
Originally posted by lilylady:
Just saw this on pots and pans ebay...
Did you know that EMERIL is a musician? Wonder what he plays!

Emeril is a drummer.

bam-bam-bam-BAM!-bam-bam-BAM!-BAM!

(That's Emiril practicing. Big Grin)

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of Muffin's sister
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqaboo:

What a challenge culinary school is - I guess its because a 'real' job in the kitchen is also physically and mentally demaning so they try to weed people out?

Being kitchen manager for this class sucks right now but I bet its a nice thing to have on a resume or to bring up in an interview.

Thanks Smiler I do think they are trying to weed people out. If you can't take this kitchen you definitely shouldn't be in a high-end kitchen and if you didn't want to be in one why are you at a LCB school?? Culinary training for people with lower standards can be had for much cheaper.

Being KM is a disaster. I'm managing but oh man. Example: yesterday we had our practical. During the bench rest of our dough (~30 minutes for that bread) we were told to make our starter for tomorrow and measure out the ingredients for our soaker. Before I could start that I had to quick clean the kitchen, there went 10 minutes, then I had to measure everything out for myself and for Chef, there went another 10 minutes. So I had under 10 minutes to produce 2 starters, wash bowls/clean up, properly store both starters, and be back at my station ready to continue on with the practical the second he says go (or minus 10 points on a 50 point exam for not managing time well). UGH. I got it done but I was literally skidding back to my station Big Grin.

This class is so hard. There is a lot of math and chemistry which I'm just not great at. I'm also really just not naturally talented in shaping and scoring bread. I'm just not. I'm getting so frustrated. I AM getting better....but I've practiced and practiced and practiced and now I'm at the "acceptable" level. Most people in the class haven't practiced at all and improved just as much as I have. But they started out being better than me too Big Grin. Sigh. I will get it...one day. I got an 80 on my practical. Sigh.

We also had a written test. My calculator died, again. Stupid school-supplied calculators are crap. I really need to remember to buy one. I usually just use the calculator on my computer or phone Big Grin. So I had to do all my math long-hand which wasn't too bad but I'm pretty horrible at decimal places and rounding (I know, should have paid more attention in 4th grade Big Grin) so I was really nervous about. Thankfully I got all of those right, I missed 4 questions but he ended up giving me credit for one of them because I should him the answer in the book so I ended up getting a 94%.

Tonight we are continuing on with our natural yeast starter and making cracked whole wheat bread. Yum!

Posts: 2262 | Location: Way Southeast of Phoenix | Registered: 21 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of EHpianist
posted Hide Post
MS, have we told you how amazing you are?

Posts: 7252 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EHpianist:
MS, have we told you how amazing you are?

Thank you Smiler

Tonight went okay. We made Challa bread instead of the cracked whole wheat, we're doing that one tomorrow. I made two loaves of Challa, one was perfect and the other one was rushed. Guess which one got dropped onto the floor of the parking garage? Frowner Darn! Not like we needed two loaves anyway Big Grin. We also made wonderful herbed focaccia. I ate most of it on the way home since I hadn't eaten since breakfast.

More math worksheets to do for class tomorrow! Frowner I better get this new stuff down so I'll be in trouble for the next exam that's approaching way way too fast!

Posts: 2262 | Location: Way Southeast of Phoenix | Registered: 21 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
posted Hide Post
I'm doing my first wedding cake in Feb Big Grin

happydance

Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted Hide Post
Quoted from Muffin's Sister:

quote:
Tonight we are continuing on with our natural yeast starter and making cracked whole wheat bread. Yum!

Is that the yeast you can say?

Posts: 1411 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Qaanaaq-Liaaq:
Quoted from Muffin's Sister:

quote:

Is that the yeast you can say?

Confused the joke might going way over my head at near midnight. The 3 types of yeast we're learning about/dealing with in class are fresh, dry, and instant and I can say all of them Big Grin.

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Pun on Is that the least you can say? !!!