well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  About Us    Culinary school rantings :) *added a couple pictures*
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 29
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Culinary school rantings :) *added a couple pictures*
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
One of the Quirtlets and I will be trying these recipes this afternoon:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/B...-Cookies/Detail.aspx

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/C...-Cookies/Detail.aspx

Wish us luck, and make sure the fire department is on DEFCON-1.

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of Muffin's sister
posted Hide Post
Class is almost done! One week from today...or tomorrow. I don't think even Chef knows yet Big Grin.

I missed 2 days last week due to illness. I'm feeling okay now, just battling my way through the next week and then I have 3 weeks off happydance.

The two days I missed we learned how to make the product (pithivier, pet-iv-e-ay puff pastry round filled with raspberry and almond cream) and took a written test. Then on Monday they took the practical on Pithivier. So I was pretty clueless. I made my puff pastry and made the Pithivier yesterday. My "sun burst" design wasn't very pretty because I had no idea what I was supposed to do Big Grin. So he took off 5 points for that but I still got a 45/50 (now I have a 90.04 in the class Big Grin hanging on!)! I was so shocked, Chef said it was excellent for my first try.

I'm going into class early today to take the written test. I'm nervous about the math, as always, but I'm feeling pretty good. I know a good bit about puff pastry just from experience before the class so I'm hoping that will help me out on the exam.

I took a picture of my pithivier but I'm missing the cord for my camera so when I find that I'll post it Smiler.

Posts: 2262 | Location: Way Southeast of Phoenix | Registered: 21 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
posted Hide Post
Class is over happydance

I got a 100 on my final written exam and an 81 on my final practical. My croissants were 2.20 ounces each instead of 2.50 and then two were smaller than the rest so I got docked more points, oh well. They balanced each other out, and then I got a 100 on my paper Smiler which pushed me back into "A" range happydance

I ended up with a 90.60 in the class but an A is an A!

Not sure what our next class is. I think it's International Pastries but we probably won't find out until a couple of days before the term starts.

Posts: 2262 | Location: Way Southeast of Phoenix | Registered: 21 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
An A?! Wow!

Congrats!!

happydance

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
Way to go, MS!! Enjoy your break with the fam, and rest up for next term!

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Woo-hoo! My baby earned her A and she's having fun, too!

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
Woo-hoo! My baby earned her A and she's having fun, too!

Ditto (but take out the "my baby" part, and reverse the order. Having fun is the more important part to me.)

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Whoopee! An "A" is an "A," absolutely. That's a ton of work (a tonne, if I'm channeling Dol) and you were victorious! happydance

You need to rest up so you can vault up the stairs and sign up for your next class. Big Grin

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
You're right, Quirt. Mea culpa.

I was temporarily insane, because I know how hard she scratched for every last point in that class. And she got them. But fun IS more important.

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Gold Stars to you!

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of musicasacra
posted Hide Post
Awesome!

Posts: 2659 | Registered: 02 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of EHpianist
posted Hide Post
You deserve someone else to bake you a cake!!! Congrats!

Posts: 7252 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of piqaboo
posted Hide Post
Wooohoooo!
High fives on that A!

Posts: 2691 | Registered: 07 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
posted Hide Post
Class has started again!

happydance

I can't believe how fast this program is flying!

I am taking International Pastries and Cake Formula and Assembly. The first 2 weeks are I.P. and the second will be all cakes, yum! My Chef is wonderful. Very nice and extremely involved, very easy to speak up and ask questions (as much as I ended up loving Chef #1 it was still intimidating to ask questions especially during a demo),

Yesterday the registrar screwed me over AGAIN. Seriously over it! We have a portal aka student website where they post grades, schedules, we can pay tuition, email etc. On the 30th she posted that I will be taking IP/Cakes with Chef D. No time, no kitchen. I called and left several messages, nada. So yesterday afternoon I called my admissions rep and told her to figure it out because I was pissed. I was on hold for literally over 20 minutes. She told me I (nor the 7 other people in my last class) wasn't actually scheduled for anything. So she overrode the stupid registrar and put us all where we were supposed to be and gave me a kitchen and a time.

Our class is supposed to start at 6pm, the kitchen they we are supposed to be in is being used by a mid class until 6:15. So we take attendance and start the lecture in the hall Roll Eyes. If the chefs weren't so great and I wasn't learning SO much I really would take my money elsewhere (there is nothing else near the same level and same price range in the state that I've found).

Yesterday we made crepes Suzette. Yum! First time making crepes, it really wasn't that hard! The Suzette sauce is delicious! Make a basic caramel, add orange liquor and flambe, add orange juice, lemon juice, zest and simmer. Also my first time flambe-ing anything. There is a reason why I'm on the pastry side of culinary. I do not do fire and flames and stuff like that. I was so nervous but I managed to do it and not burn myself or anyone else Big Grin. The person next to me managed to light their side towel on fire, whoops.

There is also a lot of math involved in the class too. Damn. At least this time it's stuff I'm interested in. We're learning about cost cards, how much it costs to make each item. We're learning about what percent of purchased ingred are used, flour would be 100% but zucchini would be more like 88% because of peeling etc. I have a math worksheet I really need to do while SM naps.

Our first practical is tomorrow. He announces when exams are but won't tell you anything about them. So who knows what it's on! He said it's something from a previous class that we should be proficient at by now and he told us we will have a 30 minute time limit....so I'm thinking something like a pastry cream? I don't know! Any ideas?

Gadfly
Picture of apple*
posted Hide Post
hmm..

the worst thing i ever did was make crepes for the fam.

they ask me for them all the time. fortunately i have four burners and four pans.

Posts: 4933 | Registered: 17 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post