well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  About Us    Culinary school rantings :) *added a couple pictures*
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 29
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Culinary school rantings :) *added a couple pictures*
 Login/Join

What Life?
Picture of Muffin's sister
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dolmansaxlil:
Wow. Who are some of these losers they have put in this class? I'm happy to hear he got kicked out, and that your classmate stood up for you.

I saw your desperate plea for a babysitter on Facebook. That might be the only thing that could make me wish I lived in too-sunny AZ! Spending a few hours with adorable Stud Muffin and helping you out at the same time? What's not to like!

I hope your next round of classes are less frustrating people-wise!

Thanks Dol Smiler I finally just woke SM Sr up at midnight and explained the situation to him (he was about to go kick some punk student booty) and begged him to take the afternoon off. It's his "Friday" it's also his double-squad day (they all work 4 day weeks so one day each area has 2 squads working, so double the cops on the same amount of streets) so he's going to ask his boss. Still waiting to hear but I can't see why she'd say no. Although I don't like her and she doesn't like me so we'll see....

Posts: 2262 | Location: Way Southeast of Phoenix | Registered: 21 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
posted Hide Post
SM Sr is getting off work at 2pm happydance. That gives me 2 hours to get my work done and change uniforms so I don't go to my lecture class covered in chocolate Big Grin. She doesn't even want him to put in a slip for it. Just last week she was complaining that he was asking to leave early so he didn't have to put in an overtime slip. WTF I really don't understand her. She flip flops on everything and really not good at her job (SM Sr didn't get back up AGAIN in a dangerous situation last week Mad Mad) . I hope she gets switched to another squad in July.

Posts: 2262 | Location: Way Southeast of Phoenix | Registered: 21 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muffin's sister:
SM Sr is getting off work at 2pm happydance. That gives me 2 hours to get my work done and change uniforms so I don't go to my lecture class covered in chocolate Big Grin. She doesn't even want him to put in a slip for it. Just last week she was complaining that he was asking to leave early so he didn't have to put in an overtime slip. WTF I really don't understand her. She flip flops on everything and really not good at her job (SM Sr didn't get back up AGAIN in a dangerous situation last week Mad Mad) . I hope she gets switched to another squad in July.

Sounds very moody. Working for people who run hot one day, cold the next is nerve-wracking.

Posts: 45778 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:
Originally posted by Muffin's sister:

Sounds very moody. Working for people who run hot one day, cold the next is nerve-wracking.

[rant] It is nerve-wracking. And if you try to bring it up she some how tries to link it to her being gay. We couldn't care less about that, but she always brings it up because she feels that as a female as a male's boss he feels inferior or something and he doesn't want an empowered female as his boss (since when can only gay women police officers be empowered women? call me clueless). I don't know. I don't get it. SM Sr. completely respects her authority and respects her as his boss. Does he respect her as an officer? Not a chance. I can't count on my fingers how many absolutely critical times she screwed up her job just in situations dealing with SM Sr. She really ticks me off. Mad [/end rant]

What Life?
posted Hide Post
Ugh I did not do well on my written test yesterday. It was 30 questions instead of the normal 50 which is just mean and all but 2 of them were really tricky. Like the type of fat used for a certain cake was melted butter which is what I put but he only oil so I got it wrong. Then i did stupid things like I put the leavening for sponge cakes is egg whites. Yeah egg whites don't do anything by themselves, it was egg foam or air. So I got an 80. Frowner. I have to do really really well on the rest of the practical tonight to get an A.

My sanitation exam was full of evil trickery too. Half of the questions were from the video that we watched half of because Chef couldn't figure out how to work the equipment so we didn't get to finish it. Yet he wouldn't take those questions off the exam. How are we supposed to know the answers if they weren't in the textbook and we didn't get to watch the whole video??? Stupid. Lord knows what I got on that. I had to get at least an 87 to get an A in the class. Great. I think I'm tanked. Tonight is our ServSafe certification exam so now I have to go study the whole darn book.

J got kicked out of class last night. We were practicing our sugar work for the plating of the practical tonight, really really hot stuff. He took a pot of super hot sugar off the stove, didn't say hot pot or anything, and practically ran around the table to get back to his station. Thankfully no one was near where he ran like a maniac but Chef blew a gasket, rightfully so. Chef kicked him out, told him not to come to the final tomorrow, and said that he wouldn't be surprised if he was expelled. I hope he is. Sounds horrible but he's so dangerous in the kitchen, I bet he runs around with knives in his culinary kitchen classes. Ugh.

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
MS,

The more I read your notes, the more that I have less and less respect for this school's policies on who comes to class and what rules there are to be followed.

To me, no way should you be expected to take up your partner's lack thereof. Nor have to tolerated his behavior. It should NOT reflect on you. No way. You have made several points to uphold that. You get behind as you try to cover for him. He screws up your stuff and you get penalized. ETC.

I hope that when you are out that you write a long letter to the administration about their faults in these areas.

Great exposure there though and I would love to hear more of their internship.

"I" need an intern!!!

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lilylady:
MS,

The more I read your notes, the more that I have less and less respect for this school's policies on who comes to class and what rules there are to be followed.

To me, no way should you be expected to take up your partner's lack thereof. Nor have to tolerated his behavior. It should NOT reflect on you. No way. You have made several points to uphold that. You get behind as you try to cover for him. He screws up your stuff and you get penalized. ETC.

I hope that when you are out that you write a long letter to the administration about their faults in these areas.

Great exposure there though and I would love to hear more of their internship.

"I" need an intern!!!

I have the tiniest amount of respect for the school as far as policies and administration go (my admin rep is absolutely amazing and I have respect for her. Other than that I have pretty much no respect for the rest of the admin). I've already written a couple of letters to headquarters in Chicago about how my issues about starting in July were handled and things. I plan to write another when I graduate.

I do think it's a good school. I do think there is amazing talent there to learn from. I don't think they handle most situations the right way and I think their policies need a serious reviewing.

Thankfully yesterday I was able to go in early and finish all of my work and Chef was really impressed. Apparently most people don't give a flip and just don't finish their work. I don't get what's wrong with people. What about $250+ a day don't they understand?? I'm so not throwing any of the $250+ out the door and by showing up and not finishing your work or trying your best you're still throwing money out the window.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Some of those people throwing away $250 a day may not be paying it themselves. It may be their parents' money, or it may be government grants. Even worse, it may be student loans, which *is* their money, but when you're immature, you think of it as "free money," until the bill comes due.

Posts: 15522 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
Some of those people throwing away $250 a day may not be paying it themselves. It may be their parents' money, or it may be government grants. Even worse, it may be student loans, which *is* their money, but when you're immature, you think of it as "free money," until the bill comes due.

Pretty much. All of mine are loans except the tiny bit we were able to pay cash, but one I'm paying back right now and the other I'm paying interest so they're not lurking in the shadows for me! Wish I could forget how expensive this school is! But after working the Crave event with students from other schools...I know I made the best choice Smiler

What Life?
posted Hide Post
First session of classes are over!! I can't believe 6 weeks went by that fast!

Last night we took our final practical for my kitchen class. The night before we prepped everything so all we had to do was make our sugar garnishes and plate 3 identical dishes in the given usual class time ( HairRaising that is SO hard for them to be absolutely identical. I have pictures of one not both because each time he butchered one of them to check the product, etc).

I chose to do a couple cheesecake dishes and a tiramisu dish. I did a wave garnish, a balloon garnish (for the first time! I figure we have ~5 HOURS might as well try something, classmates acted like he was going to just let us go at 7pm if they finished fast ROTFLMAO , and art garnishes.

I did pretty well and managed an A in the class even with my bumps in the road.

My other class went okay. I'm 3 points from a A because I mixed up some letters in the scientific terms on a couple of the exams. It's really frustrating. It's not like I didn't study, I have a documented real learning disability/dyslexia (and the school has all my paperwork but I'm still SOL on any type of help that would actually help me). I read it how it's supposed to be spelled but Chef reads it and it's wrong. Can anything in this world be more frustrating than that? So I got a B. Great. At least my kitchen class was worth more credit hours Big Grin.

I have a long weekend happydance. We might take a family trip up to Sedona just for today and head back tomorrow. SM and I are thinking about heading to the zoo this weekend since the Fisher Price is having an exhibit there (they have a power wheel race track Big Grin). Definitely enjoying a little time with my boys without pulling my hair out about the classwork I should be doing.

Pictures:

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Uh, that bottom one looks like it belongs in an erotic bakery. Very artistic, but I think it's definitely PG-13 rated.

Big Grin

Posts: 45778 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
Uh, that bottom one looks like it belongs in an erotic bakery. Very artistic, but I think it's definitely PG-13 rated.

Big Grin

ROTFLMAO didn't even think of it like that. He just wanted fruit on the plate since I didn't put it on the others. Couldn't figure out where to hide it! ROTFLMAO

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Just saw this on pots and pans ebay...

Did you know that EMERIL is a musician? Wonder what he plays!

"About Chef Emeril Legasse Inspired by his mother Hilda to become a professional chef, Emeril first worked at a Portuguese bakery where he mastered the art of bread and pastry making. After high school, he turned down a full music scholarship to pursue his love of cooking. He earned an undergraduate degree and honorary doctorate from the legendary Johnson and Wales University. Then traveled to Paris and Lyon to study the classic art of French cuisine. Returning to the States, Emeril polished his skills in fine restaurants in New York, Boston and Philadelphia."

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
posted Hide Post
Hm I wonder too! He has a great band that plays for his Emeril Live show.

What Life?
posted Hide Post
I started my new class on Monday! I'm back with Chef #1 but now we're at the pretty campus near Old Town in Scottsdale.

The first 3 weeks are breads and the second 3 weeks are breakfast breads (croissant, danish, etc).

Day one we did the dreaded baguette AGAIN. I can roll it better now but that scoring...I'm not good at. I try my best! There's only 9 people in my class. I'm permanent KM (kitchen manager) gee great! Meaning I get to do my work, along with making sure the kitchen stays clean and safe, plus scale out Chef's demo ingredients for the next class. Why me??? I have to go in early today to scale off Chef's cold ingredients because there was no room in his fridge for them last night.

Last night we made white pan bread, one loaf we split the top and made it a split butter loaf. YUM! We also made whole wheat pan bread but rolled the dough into dinner rolls and topped with oatmeal. Super yum. We also experimented with sweet potato flour, we made sweet potato rolls using only sweet potato flour, no actual sweet potatoes! They turned out pretty good, very interesting. He said we'd normally add sweet potato in some form but he wanted us to experience it flour-only first.

Chef has commented that I'm really good at mixing and making doughs....shaping them not so much. Big Grin But he also says I'm driven enough to practice enough to "finally" get it. After the 5th time I called him over to my station while I was struggling trying to make my dinner rolls look like his he said I must not be used to being told no Big Grin he quickly backtracked to say that he didn't think I was a spoiled brat but that I apparently wasn't going to give up like half of the rest of the class. Nope! I will get it right. So he just stood by my station for awhile so I didn't have to keep calling him over Big Grin. I did eventually get it. On my last roll Big Grin

Looks like I have a lot of practicing to do! We have our first exams (written and practical) on Monday and I bet baguettes or dinner rolls will be on the practical!

Tonight we are making milk bread and pizza dough. The pizza dough will rest overnight and we'll make pizza tomorrow, yum! Then class is over for the week! Only Monday to Thursday this time Smiler