well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  About Us    Culinary school rantings :) *added a couple pictures*
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 29
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Culinary school rantings :) *added a couple pictures*
 Login/Join

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Wow! I think everything looks fantastic--even the brioche you said didn't come out well. WTF

I'll take it!

Is your career goal to be a pastry chef?

It's interesting how you described the difference between baking and cooking/cheffing-- it has always mystified me how the contestants on Top Chef seem to have so much trouble making any sort of pastry or dessert. Now I sort of understand why!

(I still don't understand why they don't--upon their selection to the show--work up a few can't fail dessert/bakery items, though.)

Posts: 35385 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of EHpianist
posted Hide Post
That is fantastic MS! both the grades and the product!

Posts: 7252 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chatty Kathy
Beatification Candidate
Picture of teachum
posted Hide Post
MS - Do you watch *House*? There was a great show recently about him going to cooking school to try to avoid his vicodin addiction.

Posts: 8032 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of Nan W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
You seem to have real enthusiasm for what you are doing. There is no way you are not going to do great! (congrats on the grades)

+1!!

Posts: 2350 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: 08 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of Muffin's sister
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Wow! I think everything looks fantastic--even the brioche you said didn't come out well. WTF

I'll take it!

Is your career goal to be a pastry chef?

It's interesting how you described the difference between baking and cooking/cheffing-- it has always mystified me how the contestants on Top Chef seem to have so much trouble making any sort of pastry or dessert. Now I sort of understand why!

(I still don't understand why they don't--upon their selection to the show--work up a few can't fail dessert/bakery items, though.)

Thanks everyone Smiler. At the middle/high school I went to you got medals for certain classes or grades, I never got a medal (was completely robbed of one Frowner), at this school if you make A's the whole program you get a medal. I want that darn medal!!! Big Grin

I will be a Pastry Chef when I graduate in July Smiler

If you ever want anything that I bake, let me know! It's only good for 1-2 maybe 3 days after class, I had to throw out so much food this week since SM Sr's off days are Wed-Friday and I have my kitchen class Mon-Thurs so stuff really only goes to work with him on Tuesday unless I practice during the weekend. I feel so guilty throwing out SO much food!!

I don't understand why Top Chef contestants don't whip up a few no fail desserts either, they know they will have to do a couple!!

Teachum - I don't watch House, I might have to see if the internet has that episode Smiler I like when they stick baking and culinary school into random shows.

Posts: 2262 | Location: Way Southeast of Phoenix | Registered: 21 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of Bill_D
posted Hide Post
As far as culinary chefs and baking go, most, but not all, don't do well at both.

That being said, down here on our PBS station, they are running a series by Hubert Keller, who runs Fleur de Lys in San Francisco and Vegas, Burger Bar (SF, Vegas and St. Louis) and SLeek in St. Louis, who not only is one of the top chefs in the US these days, but also is quite at home as a pastry chef (probably due to the fact that his family ran a bakery and that's the first thing he learned to cook).

Posts: 2515 | Location: San Francisco, California! | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of Muffin's sister
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill_D:
As far as culinary chefs and baking go, most, but not all, don't do well at both.

That being said, down here on our PBS station, they are running a series by Hubert Keller, who runs Fleur de Lys in San Francisco and Vegas, Burger Bar (SF, Vegas and St. Louis) and SLeek in St. Louis, who not only is one of the top chefs in the US these days, but also is quite at home as a pastry chef (probably due to the fact that his family ran a bakery and that's the first thing he learned to cook).

I adore Hubert Keller. We've been the the Fleur De Lys in Vegsas, yum yum yum. I'll have to see if our PBS is running the same series!

Posts: 2262 | Location: Way Southeast of Phoenix | Registered: 21 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muffin's sister:
quote:

I adore Hubert Keller. We've been the the Fleur De Lys in Vegsas, yum yum yum. I'll have to see if our PBS is running the same series!

Doesn't Keller also run the French Laundry in Napa? That's one helluva restaurant.

Posts: 45778 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of musicasacra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:
Originally posted by Muffin's sister:
quote:

Doesn't Keller also run the French Laundry in Napa? That's one helluva restaurant.

That's Thomas Keller.

I posted his panko-coated chicken schnitzel recipe to the pinned Cookbook thread.

Posts: 2659 | Registered: 02 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of piqaboo
posted Hide Post
different keller.
Thomas Keller runs TFL in Napa, and Per Se in NYC.

Hang in there, Muffin's Sister. And dont take it personally. Bad behaviour is about the person acting badly, not about you.
Get the good out of it (specifics about what you could do better next time) and let the other go. Just like you will when SM screams "I hate you! " in about 3 years....

Posts: 2691 | Registered: 07 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted Hide Post
Speaking of baking, see the documentary named “How to Create A Junk Food”. I saw it on PBS TV a few years ago. It’s fascinating. It’s an account of a British company’s project to develop a brand new bakery item called “Crack-A-Snack”. The documentary covers Crack-A-Snack from the initial concept to its testing to the final product. The extruder is something else. It’s a long torpedo shaped high speed commercial oven that injects various fillings into the dough like a Twinkie during the baking process.

See it if it comes around.

Posts: 1412 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
This seems like a safe thread to admit that I have a bit of a crush on Eric Ripert. 2 Hearts

Posts: 35385 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Techno-Stud
Minor Deity
Picture of Matt G.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I have a bit of a crush on Eric Ripert.

I take it you like horses....

Posts: 15343 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
He can't help it--French is his native tongue. Neener

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by teachum:
*House*

Dr. House = eye candy. SO knows I feel this way so it's OK to say it. Big Grin

Posts: 24839 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post