well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  About Us    Culinary school rantings :) *added a couple pictures*
Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 29
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Culinary school rantings :) *added a couple pictures*
 Login/Join

What Life?
Picture of Muffin's sister
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lilylady:
Pun on Is that the least you can say? !!!

ROTFLMAO Thanks LL.

Posts: 2262 | Location: Way Southeast of Phoenix | Registered: 21 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
posted Hide Post
I haven't written much lately since this class so far has been basic breads. Who wants to read about pan breads and cracked wheat artisan loaves? It's been pretty boring. Delish, but boring.

Last week was midterms, I didn't do great on the written. We've been learning a lot of math and chemistry as to how and why bread does what it does. I mixed my chemistry equations up. Oops! So I got an 86. Our practical midterm was to create our own bread recipe (we had to do all the math/chemistry/etc) and then produce it. I got the only 100 in the class Smiler granted that half of the other breads didn't even make bread. More like bread soup Big Grin because they didn't do their formulas right.

My Chef took a loaf of my bread to the Commanders Palace in New Orleans for Thanksgiving (friends with the exc chef)! I got no credit, my name was never even mention...but he still ate my bread and enjoyed it Big Grin happydance

I snuck myself into a sugar workshop on Saturday. I got the last spot again. Didn't beat anyone out in person this time Big Grin but I heard some people in class talking about going to register. Ha! I probably should have mentioned that I got the last spot.....but they were rubbing me the wrong way today. So they can go over to the other campus and find out for themselves tomorrow.

Tomorrow I have to go in a 3pm (class starts at 6:15) to make danishes for a VIP brunch on Thursday and then there's another VIP brunch on Saturday that I'll make danish and freeze for. No idea how many I'm making but I made an 8lb batch of cream cheese filling today and I'm sure we'll do equal or more amounts of cherry and pineapple tomorrow....that's a LOT of danish. I might bring my camera Big Grin

Posts: 2262 | Location: Way Southeast of Phoenix | Registered: 21 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
If you ask me, as a potential boss and certainly as a bread eater, I'd pay far more attention to the 100 on the practical than the 86 on the math/chemistry test.

I don't really understand why you have classic "tests," anyway. To me, you obviously know *how* to do the math and chemistry or your bread wouldn't be any good. The fact that you can't spit it out (metaphorically speaking Big Grin) in a paper-and-pencil test seems pretty much irrelevant.

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
posted Hide Post
Thanks Nina Smiler that's what I think too. Hopefully future employers will think the same Big Grin

What Life?
Picture of Bill_D
posted Hide Post
Speaking of bread... we just got a new recipe from King Arthur Flour about a no-knead crusty white bread. I think I'll try it (will my Kitchen Aid mixer disown me???) and report on how it works. It looks good...
here

Posts: 2515 | Location: San Francisco, California! | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Bill, that's a lot like the no knead bread I made from a New York Times recipe a year or so ago, except you heat up a dutch oven in the oven, and you flop the bread into it and cover it (which keeps it moist, and you don't need to do the pan with water thing) The bread was AMAZING. Let us know how your recipe turns out!

Posts: 20467 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of piqaboo
posted Hide Post
The math stuff helps w ordering etc.
% hydration, things like that, so that you dont have to dig up the recipe each time you estimate quantities. 86 seems reasonably high.

Bread is NOT boring! Smiler
(I cant slash it right either)

Posts: 2691 | Registered: 07 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of apple*
posted Hide Post
you should have been the one named Muffin.

ha

Posts: 4933 | Registered: 17 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
We could change her name to Cupcake, but I'm saving that for my first granddaughter.

For grandsons, I had a great idea that I've forgotten. It'll come to me. At the moment, I'm thinking that Flapjack and Short Stack aren't bad.

Posts: 15518 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I do like Short Stack. Big Grin

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
We could change her name to Cupcake, but I'm saving that for my first granddaughter.

For grandsons, I had a great idea that I've forgotten. It'll come to me. At the moment, I'm thinking that Flapjack and Short Stack aren't bad.

I call Beef Cake!

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muffin's sister:
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:

I call Beef Cake!

This conversation is... ROTFLMAO

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Techno-Stud
Minor Deity
Picture of Matt G.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muffin's sister:
I call Beef Cake!

[Lurch voice]You rang?[/Lurch voice]

Evil

Posts: 15343 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
posted Hide Post
This is Mary Anna, anwering from Muffin's Sister's computer. I just wanted to point out that while she and I might have noticed your beefcakiness, we were precluded from commenting beause, well...you're our cousin.

What Life?
Picture of Bill_D
posted Hide Post
Update time... Still haven't had a chance to do the no-knead bread but Connie did make a Chocolate cake and some cupcakes (from the same batch) yesterday. She was able to use her birthday present I gave her (an Alteco cake turntable (the plastic one... just as good as the much more expensive metal one they make for professional bakeries, but a whole lot less expensive) and she just loved it!)

Oh, yes, the cake and cupcakes were fabuloso (and it was a from-scratch recipe). At least the small piece I got to taste was... once the cake was frosted (she discovered that if you whip the frosting (made from confectioners sugar) with a mixer it is muy bettah!) I stay away from it! Frowner

Posts: 2515 | Location: San Francisco, California! | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post