Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

referring to post below.

Posts: 12569 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Hamas committed a heinous, inexcusable deadly act of terrorism, just let me put that out there.

I hesitated to post this, but this cartoon is so perfectly “internet.”

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13825 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/1...gSource=articleShare

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17692 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12569 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
Cindy, I agree I was unfair (as I posted earlier), for all the reasons you stated, and for other reasons.

I felt the same about this event that you did about the ones that were meaningful and hurtful to you. I remember one event in particular--when Philando Castile was murdered by the police. I was outraged that no one here posted about it, so I did. I remember your response saying it had mattered to you and also bothered you that it had flown under the radar. This current event is the same for me.

It is precisely because of past disussions here about Israel that I felt the silence about this horrific attack was telling. I am upset in general about the Left's tacit anti-semitism that they keep insisting is not anti-semitism. I find it deeply disturbing, even frightening.

Today a FB friend posted a map of "Palestine" from 1947 that she assumed meant there had once been a state called Palestine (there wasn't in 1947, but I'm not going to get into that now). To post such a thing in the context of the current atrocities is offensive because it says (to many people) that Israel has no right to defend itself against attack. Thankfully among her FB friends are scholars of the Middle East who know a helluva lot more about this than I do. They swiftly advised her of her mistake. Here is a quote from one of them, a FB friend of hers who majored in Middle Eastern studies at Stanford and who lived in Israel and Jordan to further his studies and knowledge. He expressed something that I have found it very hard to express:

quote:
One of the interesting aspects of the ongoing, heartbreaking situation is that I am not sure if I have ever seen White, Christian-Cultured, European descendents wonder something like, "Hmmm...the Jews, back in the late 1800s obviously needed a 'Homeland', that is, a safe and sovereign place to be since....you know....WE (white, christian-cultured, Europeans have been murdering, and ghetto-izing and exiling them (Jews were exiled at one time or another from over half the countries/territories in Europe) for 17 centuries...and, HEY!...let's give them a nice chunk of England or France or Italy or Sweden or Russia so that they might live as full citizens safe from the endemic hatred and capricious whims of...us!!!"
History sure did prove those late-1800s Zionists (when the movement began) kinda right in the early 1940s, huh? And thousands of time before that, for example when my famiy fled for their lives in Ukraine in 1905.
And so I wonder - as a VERY liberal Jew and Zionist (yeah, look up the word) who has been against the Settlements since they began and hates Netanyahu like I hate trump)...where the **** are all the comments from now-American, white, christian-cultured, European descendents owning THEIR People's place at the very inception of the heartbreaking situation. GIve me a break....

...my comment was more-or-less directed to the Liberal/Progressive folks I know of White-European-Christian-Descent who seem to feel free to comment on the situation without a fundemntal knowledge of the history of Isreal/Palestine over the last 100 years and with - in my mind - an abdication of responsibilty (and, likely, knowledge) of what "their people" were doing to help the Jews of Europe gain freedom from the terrible injustices they faced in Europe from about 400-1946 AD...

...."Palestine" was not a state in 1947, it was labeled by the British as the "Palestinian Mandate" for their own reasons) on a day when, for example 250 young people were murdered at a music festival. And, as a reminder, I have always fully supported a complete Palestinian State and been deadset against Israeli settlements.

I also am no expert on Middle East affairs, Cindy. I also only have enough expertise to say it is terrible that people are dying. But as a Jew, I am also upset that in the face of these atrocities, people *who should know better* are saying these attacks, bombings, kidnappings are justified. They stop short of saying Israel should be wiped out, but that is what their sympathies lead to. Exactly.

Thank you, Pique.

I am ignorant on these issues, and that’s OK.

I’m not on your team because of anything having to do with the current conflicts. I am on your team because Jews risked their lives in the civil rights movement to help my people, and I will never forget it.

Whoever hurts you hurts me.

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25727 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
@piano_dad, apparently the screenshot you posted is from an unverified BLM account that has nothing to do with the actual BLM Chicago group.

Thanks, Elon. Twitter is a cesspool.

Posts: 35384 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
@piano_dad, apparently the screenshot you posted is from an unverified BLM account that has nothing to do with the actual BLM Chicago group.

Thanks, Elon. Twitter is a cesspool.

This group is part of a network of "anti-racist" organizations (BLM10) that is separate from the "Black Lives Matter Global Network Foundation."

But it's very much a real group ... and very much descended from BLM.

Unless Musk has corrupted Politico

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
A useful primer on the laws of war, and Israel's constraints.

What if Israel Treated Hamas like ISIS

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNuedzHPZ60

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37994 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
So, I finally decided to dive in and understand what is going on. I read this BBC article:

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-44124396

Could someone knowledgeable please take a look and see if anything about it is inaccurate?

What I am trying to figure out is: (1) why would American students at places like Harvard be coming out against Israel?; (2) why did the U.S. take the position of being Israel's strongest ally?; and (3) what does it mean to be a settler in Israel, 'cause it seems mighty risky to put down roots in what has always seemed to me to be akin to a war zone?

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I’ll try to answer a couple of those questions as objectively as I can.

With respect to the first question, it’s a general question of whether you support Israel, or the Palestinians. There is a school of thought that says that the Israelis are akin to Christopher Columbus, stealing land from the people who were there originally. The argument centers around who was there originally.

On the third question, there’s a song from the movie Exodus that explains it.

quote:
this land is mine
God gave this land to me.
This brave an ancient land to me.

Until I die, this land is mine.

https://youtu.be/C1sSfNHghZc?si=N8L3E-xVq7r8zkqn

https://youtu.be/C1sSfNHghZc?si=N8L3E-xVq7r8zkqn

Posts: 45765 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m not on your team because of anything having to do with the current conflicts. I am on your team because Jews risked their lives in the civil rights movement to help my people, and I will never forget it.

Jews risked their lives for your people during the Civil Rights Movement because people who have been persecuted know exactly what it feels like to be denied the rights Black people were denied. We know how it feels to be treated as other because of some accident of the family you were born into. To be discriminated against for something you can't possibly change about yourself.

The outrage is real, and so is the solidarity.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21362 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
What I am trying to figure out is: (1) why would American students at places like Harvard be coming out against Israel?; (2) why did the U.S. take the position of being Israel's strongest ally?; and (3) what does it mean to be a settler in Israel, 'cause it seems mighty risky to put down roots in what has always seemed to me to be akin to a war zone?

1) Because the American Left has wholesale bought into the Arab narrative about the evil Israelis and the persecuted Palestinians. It's comforting to believe a simplistic narrative rather than actually explore the history of the region and understand the complexities, the tensions between competing truths, and face the fact that there aren't simple answers here.

2) The USA needs a strong ally in this part of the world. The creation of Israel was in part a strategy to have a strong ally in the region.

3) Yeah. I don't get this one either.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21362 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I'm struck by the hand-wringing from some of the same types that went "full-in" for the invasion of Afganistan and Iraq after 9/11

All I can say is "what a mess humans continue to make of this world"...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7560 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post