well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Today I saw...
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 69

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Today I saw...
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Today I saw: the end of an era.

They're tearing down the last of the "Rockwell" complex in Anaheim. Probably a million square feet of factory space, home of numerous cold war missile and guidance projects. When my tract was built in the late 60's, nearly all of the residents worked there. When military spending was cut back shortly thereafter fully half of the houses in my tract went in to foreclosure.

Big plans for that site. Kaiser tore down a couple of other buildings across the street (including a 280K sq. ft.compact disc manufacturing plant that was my largest customer in the 90's) and built a huge new state of the art hospital in it's place. The whole neighborhood is going over to businesses that dovetail with that hospital project. B/E (Boeing) aerospace built one new building in the old Rockwell parking lot but the nature of that area is definitely changing.

Quite a project. The white pile is the buildings. The black pile is the parking lots. The strawberry patch is a throwback:

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34946 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Techno-Stud
Minor Deity
Picture of Matt G.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
The strawberry patch is a throwback
I was wondering about that. Next you'll be showing us orange groves in Orange.

[Insert Signature Here]

Posts: 15343 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"One half of me is a hopeless romantic, the other half is so damn realistic."
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:
RF, is this in town? Where!? Where!?

Brattle Book Shop sale lot, Downtown Crossing, Boston.

Problems are not the problem. Coping is the problem. --Virginia Satir

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt G.:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
The strawberry patch is a throwback
I was wondering about that. Next you'll be showing us orange groves in Orange.

There is actually one left near downtown - a small one. I'll see if I can get a picture of it for you.

Posts: 34946 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Today I saw:

Ductwork

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Ugh - the tray under a plant has been leaking through the rug and padding into the hardwood - looks like a long time....

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7555 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Ugh, indeed. I hate when that happens...mine was just a cheapo IKEA table in the screen room, but I was PO'ed all the same.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
Here's a head scratcher...Which way would YOU go?

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
paperweight back

The paperweight I made at a glass studio last week. Delivered to me last night, but today is the first time I've seen it with daylight coming through.

paperweight front

The bubbles are caused by a sprinkling of baking soda. There's no place for the air to go when it's dipped in the last layer of molten glass, so it makes bubbles.

More pix and commentary in blog post here.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, that might be a candidate for the DOM.. Pretty.

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rustyfingers:
Hmmm, that might be a candidate for the DOM.. Pretty.

thank you. i posted it with the backstory.

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
paperweight back

The paperweight I made at a glass studio last week. Delivered to me last night, but today is the first time I've seen it with daylight coming through.

paperweight front

The bubbles are caused by a sprinkling of baking soda. There's no place for the air to go when it's dipped in the last layer of molten glass, so it makes bubbles.

You made that?

I'm impressed!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LL:
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
paperweight back

paperweight front

You made that?

I'm impressed!

It was really fun! I want to do it again.

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Very old outside kiln. Love the brickwork.

[/URL]

[/URL]

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Cool! ThumbsUp