well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  The Soundboard    Piano picture of the day
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 299
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Piano picture of the day
 Login/Join

Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
I heard that Bösendorfer offers a piano with a lid that is operated with a button or lever and raises, lowers and holds the lid in place using hydraulics.

Is this true?

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Hey Elena, thanks for stopping by!

Chris, I think one of the reasons for the conjoined dou piano is the idea that the resonances will share, using the same frame, board and all-

Never, seen, heard or tuned one - so I don't really know if it's true. Confused

--------------------------------
Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7557 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semi-Regular
posted Hide Post
The most obvious disadvantage of the Pleyel double grand would be that the bass strings are comparetively short, so that each piano would probably equal a 6 foot grand or a little smaller. I doubt that this piano would sound very impressive. Moreover it only has 85 keys which would not make it very appropriate for todays concert use. It looks very interesting, though.

Jens

Posts: 139 | Location: Leipzig, Germany | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of EHpianist
posted Hide Post
You just *had* to rain on my parade didn't you, Jens! Roll Eyes Wink

Elena
http://www.pianofourhands.com

Posts: 7252 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Hey markjpcs,

I went digging for the bosie:

and the text from the site:

I got to play this piano which is one of only two in the world! It is a special edition Bosendorfer Imperial Grand with solid brass legs, a hydraulic lid, extra keys and cost $250,000. It is at the Grand Bohemian in Orlando, Florida. (The other one is in China).

Cool!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7557 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semi-Regular
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EHpianist:
You just *had* to rain on my parade didn't you, Jens! Roll Eyes Wink

Elena
http://www.pianofourhands.com

Elena, try to see it this way: Now that you know the Pleyel grand has some shortcomings, it will be much easier for you to not regret that no such model is in current production. Smiler

Jens

Posts: 139 | Location: Leipzig, Germany | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Man. How lazy do you have to be to need hydraulics to operate your piano lid?

What next? Hydraulic pedals? Big Grin

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
C'mon Cindy, think like a GUY ... it's not about lazy, it's about how COOL can it be made?

Now the pedals, I remeber a thread on pianotech of someone trying to adapt pedal solenoids to work for one of their wheelchair-bound clients. I never heard if they got it working, though there were suggestions for knee-operated pedals and such.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Cool!

Thanks for confirming and finding a photo!

Mark

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Ermo
posted Hide Post
quote:
originally posted by Cindy:
Man. How lazy do you have to be to need hydraulics to operate your piano lid?

Next thing you'll be telling me they make pianos that can play by themselves!

Hey ron - continued thanks for being MC of the Piano of the Day thread.

Posts: 3755 | Location: Undisclosed Location | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
I never heard if they got it working, though there were suggestions for knee-operated pedals
and such.

I believe Steinbgraeber has such a system.

www.cjquinn.com
-------------------------
August Förster 190

Posts: 4676 | Location: Brooklyn, Earth | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Popularity Seeker
Picture of KlavierBauer
posted Hide Post
Ron,
Schimmel also has a hydraulic lid on the Pegasus.

Posts: 750 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KlavierBauer:
Ron,
Schimmel also has a hydraulic lid on the Pegasus.
Wow, a piano with a cockpit! Big Grin

Joe

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13817 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
I just love the Pegasus!

Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Check this out!