well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  The Soundboard    Piano picture of the day
Page 1 ... 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 ... 299
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Piano picture of the day
 Login/Join

Would-be Sage
Picture of Jamie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greeb:

Beauties!

--------------------------------
A cynic - knows the price of everything and the value of nothing - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 648 | Location: NL, Canada | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChickGrand:
Here is one I could kick myself for not having bought, as I recognized it later and knew where it belongs:

It is the grand piano originally in the Verandah Grill, the most popular restaurant of the R.M.S. Queen Mary when she sailed. The room was more popular than the much larger main dining room as it offered casual intimate atmosphere, fine food, music and incredible views. It was stripped some years ago by one of the string of owners of the ship in at its Long Beach berth. The current owner is doing extensive work to restore as much of the ship as possible and rounding up furnishings that were sold off. The latest restoration effort was the Verandah Grill itself. When I saw this one, I knew it looked familiar but could not quite place it. It went for a song. Shortly later, I realized it was the one custom made for the all-art-deco Queen Mary. I wished I'd purchased it and donated it to the Queen Mary Foundation for the restoration. The piano as seen above is finished a little darker than its original finish. It can be seen (though not well) in these two pictures:

Resurrecting a post from last year...

This piano has found its way back to the Mary - I saw it (or one very similar, the fallboard decal was different) in the Sir Winston Churchill bar/restaurant on the Queen Mary this past Monday. The Verandah grill is closed and empty, but we were able to get into it to look around through a door that was left open. It looks pretty much as pictured here, but empty. I don't know if they're planning on moving the piano back in or not....

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
1918 Hobart M. Cable
"No-one would knowingly provide Franz Liszt with a mediocre piano." -E. M. Good

Posts: 4568 | Location: Monterey, Ca | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would-be Sage
Picture of Jamie
posted Hide Post
OK, so do you play this thing, or fly it?

From the Art Case Line of Fazioli's website.

A cynic - knows the price of everything and the value of nothing - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 648 | Location: NL, Canada | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post

1941 Art Case Knabe Baby Grand Piano
A wild and wonderful art case piano in the modern style, with lid decoration by Jim Colwell.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7560 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Another oldie:

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7560 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
Another oldie:

I am wondering why this shape didn't take off instead of the big black box that the uprights now can look like. It is esthetically (sp) much more pleasing. If the string were from the floor up it wouldn't need to so tall (or does that have to do with the action needing to be next to the keys?

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
1918 Hobart M. Cable
"No-one would knowingly provide Franz Liszt with a mediocre piano." -E. M. Good

Posts: 4568 | Location: Monterey, Ca | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nobody's $hillbot
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of OperaTenor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lilylady:
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
Another oldie:

I am wondering why this shape didn't take off instead of the big black box that the uprights now can look like. It is esthetically (sp) much more pleasing. If the string were from the floor up it wouldn't need to so tall (or does that have to do with the action needing to be next to the keys?

I believe the strings are positioned so the hammers will strike them at the right place. I'm also under the impression the actions on these were a bit different than the predecessors of the modern grand and upright actions. Additionally, these are straight-strung and fairly low-tension.

Me, I wouldn't want a cast iron plate looming over me from that height. But that's just me....

Posts: 25662 | Location: Sandy Eggo, CA | Registered: 15 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Here, I found a picture of one without the cover. Wood framed, though I believe there were some made with iron.

Except in the bass, the strings don't extend much below the keys because the 'normal' striking point for pianos is about 1/7th of the total string length.

The action drops the hammers down below the keyboard:

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Remember the giant upright?

Well, he's making a giant grand!

It's a little over 13 feet long...
Is it supposed to remind me of a boat?

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
ouch

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
agile movers...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Going solo...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zorba:
I wonder why they felt they had to chain it down. Have there been a rash of piano planter thefts in the neighborhood?

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30039 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post