well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  The Soundboard    Piano picture of the day
Page 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ... 299
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Piano picture of the day
 Login/Join

Incognito
Beatification Candidate
Picture of ChickGrand
posted Hide Post
Since I first took up piano, I've wanted to get a player separately and not in any way modify a piano much too precious to me to alter with a system (though I'd like one of those units that pushes up to the keys). The last player that piqued my interest was a vintage Chickering concert grand reproducing player, fully restored and beautiful to boot. Unfortunately, it went for upwards of $100,000, so it was way more than I could ever justify. Someday I'll be tempted by some smaller model in need of full restoration and jump off the diving board.

Does your player have an electric auxilliary pump or do you have nicely-developed legs?

--------------------------------
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." -- Albert Einstein

Posts: 6631 | Location: Milky Way Galaxy | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nobody's $hillbot
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of OperaTenor
posted Hide Post
Hi Rick,

No electric pump for this baby!

It's all original, right down to the 84 year-old rubberized cloth, which makes for an even more exciting playing experience. HairRaising The poor old guy has got air leaks galore right now, but with furious pumping will still play a halting rendition of a piece. Next project on the plate is rebuilding the player action, which I'll be able to do myself(I apprenticed a piano rebuilder in high school, and have read both Larry givens' and Art Reblitz' books on the subject. I also have a local rebuilder who's said she'll help me out with the project.)

Most fortuitously, however, is the regular piano itself, which is in pristine condition as a musical instrument. The only thing I have to attend to on that is a new set of hammers in the next few years. The originals have been resurfaced once, and I don't think trying to do that again is a good idea. Clean strings, tight pins, fresh-looking action parts throughout, otherwise.

Speaking of hammers, the rebuilder I mentioned previously offered to get me Renner hammers when the time comes. Are they the good idea I think they might be, or does anyone have any other opinion(s)?

When I was younger(and the piano had less air leaks), I could play 20-30 rolls at a sitting.

We have a 21 month-old daughter, and I definitely want to get the player back into shape in time for her to be mesmerized by it.

Posts: 25662 | Location: Sandy Eggo, CA | Registered: 15 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
.... I've learned to just tune 'em with the lid down...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7560 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post
Cool!

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
1918 Hobart M. Cable
"No-one would knowingly provide Franz Liszt with a mediocre piano." -E. M. Good

Posts: 4568 | Location: Monterey, Ca | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post
This one ain't bad either:

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
1918 Hobart M. Cable

Posts: 4568 | Location: Monterey, Ca | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of kathyk
posted Hide Post
That turquoise room is really stunning; never mind that the piano looks like it's just another piece of dust laden furniture.

Anyway, here's the promised Smithsonian piano for Rick - a Chick for Chick Rick. It's at the piano room at the Museum of American History. I was so tired from walking and the place was a zoo of school kids. The piano room, enclosed with a glass door, no doubt for climate control was a little haven. There was even row of overstuffed, Victorian benches for sitting on - imagine that. I plopped myself there and instructed JF and Puffin to come back to retrieve me when they were done. I sat there for about an hour, mainly in amazing peace, but two or three times a large group of kids would file in, quickely breeze past each piano, and file back out - a moment of total cacaphony quickly followed by the sweet silence again. I enjoyed those quiet pianos immensely and felt I took in their historical vibes by osmosis.

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF.

Posts: 11691 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
This is a busy room:

another view of that piano

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7560 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
That's quite a paint-job!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I think there's a piano under there...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Have we seen this one yet?

1897 Model A Steinway at Woods and Sons Piano in Colorado
http://www.woodspiano.com/1897_steinway.htm
for more pics

http://www.woodspiano.com/Gerrgoult%20Piano%205.htm

Roberta

whoops didn't come through - posted the url in the image box

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
No, I don't think we have!

Here's another "piano as stuff holder" picture:

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post
I really like that WoodsPiano artcase! Way cool.

Fixed da link:

Get a load of the chicken on Ron's latest upright!

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
1918 Hobart M. Cable

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
I thought you might Z, along with other admirer's!

Funny that I find more things that YOU might like than any others that I see.

You have an 'eye' for extra ordinary!

R

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
Piano on dome at MIT:

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10577 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post