well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  The Soundboard    Piano picture of the day
Page 1 ... 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 ... 299
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Piano picture of the day
 Login/Join

Incognito
Beatification Candidate
Picture of ChickGrand
posted Hide Post
All that artificial tail-end not used for string length sort of precludes it from being a true "concert grand". (Kimball could have stuck a 5 foot projection on the back of a LaPetite and called it a "concert grand"?) Hate the red bits. Hate the base. Hate the clear acrylic. I think there are some elements there that could be worked with, but I don't like where the designer has gone with them.

--------------------------------
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." -- Albert Einstein

Posts: 6631 | Location: Milky Way Galaxy | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post
I'm no fan of post modernism, but I kind of like it. Oh, I'd rather have a rococo Knabsteindorfering from 100 years ago, but this one works for me.

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
1918 Hobart M. Cable
"No-one would knowingly provide Franz Liszt with a mediocre piano." -E. M. Good

Posts: 4568 | Location: Monterey, Ca | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Incognito
Beatification Candidate
Picture of ChickGrand
posted Hide Post
From this angle, it looks like that black Euro toilet in the upstairs bath of one house I considered:

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." -- Albert Einstein

Posts: 6631 | Location: Milky Way Galaxy | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post
That angle makes it look Star Trekkie to me - but I didn't see the toilet in question!

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
1918 Hobart M. Cable

Posts: 4568 | Location: Monterey, Ca | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nobody's $hillbot
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of OperaTenor
posted Hide Post
Yup, a resemblance to something Start Trekkie:

Posts: 25662 | Location: Sandy Eggo, CA | Registered: 15 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nobody's $hillbot
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of OperaTenor
posted Hide Post
A Zorba-approved instrument, lifted from the French Wiki page on pianos:

Posts: 25662 | Location: Sandy Eggo, CA | Registered: 15 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nobody's $hillbot
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of OperaTenor
posted Hide Post
This is how an outfit called Piano Logistics packs up a 6 ft grand for shipment to Tokyo:

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Well, I see what might be legs, or lyre and bench and music rack but what is the curved triangular small package on the top middle?

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Incognito
Beatification Candidate
Picture of ChickGrand
posted Hide Post
Just my guess:

Aside from the bench sides and lyre, that rectangular box might include the castors, if they are not on the legs at shipping.

Music desk is likely stowed in its usual place, padded. Prop stick, too.

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Good thing it is not a 'square piano'!!!

Thanks superman...I mean CG. I can see you have x-ray eyes.

I love it. A place for everything.

Doesn't look like much room for a stowaway though, huh?

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OperaTenor:
A Zorba-approved instrument, lifted from the French Wiki page on pianos:

Oh yea!

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
1918 Hobart M. Cable

Incognito
Beatification Candidate
Picture of ChickGrand
posted Hide Post
Passenger liners in rough seas aren't kind environments for pianos:

Revenant
Beatification Candidate
Picture of Frycek
posted Hide Post
And I suppose poor Elton was seasick too.

Posts: 6034 | Location: SC Mountains | Registered: 24 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post
Why the *&!@#$^*!&@#^ wasn't that thing bolted to the deck? I go to sea on research vessels as a regular part of my job, we'd NEVER put to sea with an unsecured 1,200 pound object - ever hear the term "loose cannon"?

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
1918 Hobart M. Cable

Incognito
Beatification Candidate
Picture of ChickGrand
posted Hide Post
I wondered the same. Note, it's even still on castors. The pianos on the Queen Mary had special legs about 18 inches wide by 8 inches thick. They were bolted to the floor. They survived the ship turning on its side to a list of 75-80 degrees when hit by a rogue wave (the incident that was the basis for Paul Gallico's "The Poseiden Adventure") (But they didn't survive the string of Long Beach owners, who sold them cheaply at auction).

Apparently the Dutch have been smoking some of that legal stuff and forgot about such things on their ship.

On QM, they were quite like this little Challen at Maximiliaan's in NYC, though larger concert models. They weren't about to fall over or provide a carnival ride like one may see in "The Legend of 1900":

(I also reckoned that Elton was in his cabin green-gilled and having lost his toupee in the lou, Frycek. Big Grin)