well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  The Soundboard    Piano picture of the day
Page 1 ... 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 ... 299
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Piano picture of the day
 Login/Join

Revenant
Beatification Candidate
Picture of Frycek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zorba:
Why the *&!@#$^*!&@#^ wasn't that thing bolted to the deck? I go to sea on research vessels as a regular part of my job, we'd NEVER put to sea with an unsecured 1,200 pound object - ever hear the term "loose cannon"?

Or if Bach were involved "loose canon."

--------------------------------

Posts: 6034 | Location: SC Mountains | Registered: 24 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frycek:
Or if Bach were involved "loose canon."

Yea, or in this case a "loose canon in (the) C".

Leaving

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
1918 Hobart M. Cable
"No-one would knowingly provide Franz Liszt with a mediocre piano." -E. M. Good

Posts: 4568 | Location: Monterey, Ca | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChickGrand:
The pianos on the Queen Mary had special legs about 18 inches wide by 8 inches thick. They were bolted to the floor. They survived the ship turning on its side to a list of 75-80 degrees when hit by a rogue wave (the incident that was the basis for Paul Gallico's "The Poseidon Adventure") (But they didn't survive the string of Long Beach owners, who sold them cheaply at auction).

Thanx for this tidbit - I have a coffee table book on the QM.
I forget the title, but it is supposedly the definitive book on
QM history - I purchased the VERY last one available on the QM
a couple of years ago.

I'll have to haul it out and take a look for those pianos!

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
1918 Hobart M. Cable

Posts: 4568 | Location: Monterey, Ca | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sat on a pin mary rose
Forum Groupie
Picture of maryrose
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a coffee table book on the QM.

What a coincidence - I have friends who have a coffee table made out of the Queen Mary. It's a nice piece of furniture but it doesn't boast eight inch thick legs Smiler

Extreme heterosexuality is a perversion Margaret Mead

Posts: 836 | Location: Essex Girl :) | Registered: 16 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Oh look, a shrouded piano...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
on the castle walk.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
There was a piano on the Hindenburg!

The lounge was decorated with a large wall mural which traced the path of famous explorers. A Bluthner baby grand piano, made mostly of aluminum and covered with pigskin, was provided for the passengers' entertainment.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Nobody's $hillbot
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of OperaTenor
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
The pianos on the Queen Mary had special legs about 18 inches wide by 8 inches thick. They were bolted to the floor. They survived the ship turning on its side to a list of 75-80 degrees when hit by a rogue wave (the incident that was the basis for Paul Gallico's "The Poseidon Adventure") (But they didn't survive the string of Long Beach owners, who sold them cheaply at auction).

Thanx for this tidbit - I have a coffee table book on the QM.
I forget the title, but it is supposedly the definitive book on
QM history - I purchased the VERY last one available on the QM
a couple of years ago.

I'll have to haul it out and take a look for those pianos!

I found this photo on line of the piano on the ship:

Posts: 25662 | Location: Sandy Eggo, CA | Registered: 15 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Incognito
Beatification Candidate
Picture of ChickGrand
posted Hide Post
To be clear, that's only one of several and far from the best example. It's just the one that got transferred to a small out-of-the-way corner of QE2. The larger and finer ones went up for auction. One really nice concert grand went for a mere $6,000. I have photos somewhere of that one and others in their original setting, and at the time of sale. Couldn't find the CD last night, which is why I posted the similar one form Max's.

There's a herd of them going up for auction when "Norway", formerly "France" goes on the blocks before dismantling. Including a rather nice Steinway.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." -- Albert Einstein

Posts: 6631 | Location: Milky Way Galaxy | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Incognito
Beatification Candidate
Picture of ChickGrand
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
on the castle walk.

That's an interesting square. Unless the image has been mirror-flipped, the wider end is opposite most squares. If the photo is oriented correctly, I'd be interested in seeing the string arrangement. The style sure is cohesive with that setting!

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." -- Albert Einstein

Posts: 6631 | Location: Milky Way Galaxy | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
New security measures?

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Picture of Matthew Collett
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's an interesting square. Unless the image has been mirror-flipped, the wider end is opposite most squares. If the photo is oriented correctly, I'd be interested in seeing the string arrangement.

The Gothic text over the picture on the wall above does not appear to have been mirror-revesed.

Matthew

"Passions, violent or not, may never be expressed to the point of revulsion; even in the most frightening situation music must never offend the ear but must even then offer enjoyment, i.e. must always remain music." -- W.A.Mozart

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~m_collett/piano

Posts: 29 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: 25 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
New security measures?

Uh, that's one way!

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
1918 Hobart M. Cable

"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post
My daughter just emailed this one to me. Offered without comment except to say the cat is REAL, not photoshopped:

Any creative captions?

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
1918 Hobart M. Cable

Nobody's $hillbot
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of OperaTenor
posted Hide Post

1870 Schiedmayer Grand Piano. Never heard of it, but it shore is purdy.

Posts: 25662 | Location: Sandy Eggo, CA | Registered: 15 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post