well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  The Soundboard    Piano picture of the day
Page 1 ... 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 ... 299
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Piano picture of the day
 Login/Join

Incognito
Beatification Candidate
Picture of ChickGrand
posted Hide Post
This one currently on Ebay is one that particularly interests me, a 9'1" Chickering from 1883-1884. It intrigues me because it's the only example I've seen with this rather modern style of plate, while sitting in a mid-Victorian case. Chickering's roccoco beasts like the one on the previous page were being built right alongside more modern types like this one, and my own, which had been pared of the carving to the more modern form at a time when ornate ruled. It's the plate that sucks me in on this one. If they'd put that plate in the modern style like mine, they'd have a sale now. WhoMe Yes

--------------------------------
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." -- Albert Einstein

Posts: 6631 | Location: Milky Way Galaxy | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Wait, I'm still playing...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7565 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Incognito
Beatification Candidate
Picture of ChickGrand
posted Hide Post
You know your playing really sucks when:

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." -- Albert Einstein

Posts: 6631 | Location: Milky Way Galaxy | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Hiding by the rocks?

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7565 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post
1896 Emerson, Zorba Approved (tm):

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
1918 Hobart M. Cable
"No-one would knowingly provide Franz Liszt with a mediocre piano." -E. M. Good

Posts: 4568 | Location: Monterey, Ca | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post
S&S uprights seldom catch my eye - this is a beautiful exception:

Get a load of the length of those stickers!

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
1918 Hobart M. Cable

Posts: 4568 | Location: Monterey, Ca | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Incognito
Beatification Candidate
Picture of ChickGrand
posted Hide Post
I have an old Kimball in storage from 1896 quite nearly identical to that Emerson. I intend to rebuild the action and refinish it someday. It's tone is gorgeous, but the action has seen better days. I really like that S&S. It reminds me of my favorite case for the tall old uprights, which was a Mathushek offering.

"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post
This one caught my eye, a relatively new 'Cabaret' (anyone ever hear of it?):

The one to the right looks VERY interesting, but no pic of it seems to be available...

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
1918 Hobart M. Cable

"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChickGrand:
I have an old Kimball in storage from 1896 quite nearly identical to that Emerson. I intend to rebuild the action and refinish it someday. It's tone is gorgeous, but the action has seen better days. I really like that S&S. It reminds me of my favorite case for the tall old uprights, which was a Mathushek offering.

Oh yea, old Mathushecks!

How 'bout a pix of your Kimball?

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
1918 Hobart M. Cable

Incognito
Beatification Candidate
Picture of ChickGrand
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zorba:
...How 'bout a pix of your Kimball?

It's crated. Wanna picture of that? suave

"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post
Blink

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
1918 Hobart M. Cable

Incognito
Beatification Candidate
Picture of ChickGrand
posted Hide Post
I crated it for the move and decided not to bring it into the house until it's redone. My shop is roomy and temperature controlled. The crate is to keep the mice out until I decide to do all that work, since I don't want to do more work than it already needs. The case veneer is all very good, but the finish is alligatored to the point of a fine sand texture. Which actually looks rather good, but for the point that it traps dust. Mostly the action just needs all those bridle straps replaced, the little silk threads to the springs replaced and the hammers lightly sanded. Nice ivories in good condition. Nary a clunker in the strings and good board and bridges.

"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a beaut! Hope you can get 'er up and running SOON!

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
1918 Hobart M. Cable

Nobody's $hillbot
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of OperaTenor
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Zorba:
...How 'bout a pix of your Kimball?

It's crated. Wanna picture of that? suave

Yes.

Neener

Posts: 25662 | Location: Sandy Eggo, CA | Registered: 15 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Revenant
Beatification Candidate
Picture of Frycek
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have an old Kimball in storage from 1896 .

You must've run up quite a bill by now. Ever think of getting it out?

Posts: 6034 | Location: SC Mountains | Registered: 24 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post