well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  The Pinblock    The WTF Losers
Page 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... 53
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The WTF Losers
 Login/Join

Chatty Kathy
Beatification Candidate
Picture of teachum
posted Hide Post
Nice to see you, Katie.

Posts: 8032 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of EHpianist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tonight we are having plantains with our dinner!

Green or ripe? Yummy

Elena
www.duoscarbo.com

Posts: 7252 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
Here's what someone wrote at another forum I frequent:

"I am starting the new 'valium Diet'
ya eat five valium a day and the food just falls out of your mouth"

Big Grin

Posts: 10579 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Incognito
Beatification Candidate
Picture of ChickGrand
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6631 | Location: Milky Way Galaxy | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

I'm not being such a good loser this month...

Frowner Jodi

Posts: 20485 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Isn't this supposed to be the month of resolutions and good intentions? Frowner

It's birthday month, husband and sons, and I'm up two pounds. Time to get cracking on the core plan, again.

We can do it! ThumbsUp

Posts: 9814 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chatty Kathy
Beatification Candidate
Picture of teachum
posted Hide Post
I'm doin' good! 75# and holding. Going to Seattle next weekend so I'm hoping to drop another before Saturday nights meal out. AL will probably try to make me pig-out all weekend so I'll look like her Avatar! Oink, Oink!

Posts: 8032 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EHpianist:
quote:
Tonight we are having plantains with our dinner!

Green or ripe? Yummy

Both, but could use good ideas on how to prepare them. Any ideas? Haven't gotten the knack just yet..Oh but they are sooo good. Next goal, Yucca! Smiler

As for lactating advice....Jackets! Have lots of blazers and such to cover up just in case a screaming child (not necessarily your own Roll Eyes) starts the water works. That combined with pads, blouses in prints rather than solids and ,like Jodi says, no silk.

One more thing. Don't let anyone bother you about it. Nursing is the most healthy, wonderful, natural, precious thing you can do and lasts such a relatively short time. (though I know sometimes I thought I would always be a cow!) It is something that I still miss....that closeness with my little babies.... Smiler

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of EHpianist
posted Hide Post
Green Plantains (Tostones)

-Get very green plantains and peel them with a knife
-cut into diagonal rounds about 3/4 inch thick or so
- heat a pot of oil enough so that they will cook but not burn right away (whichever oil you prefer to use)
- deep fry plantains until they soften a little
-remove from oil and using the round side of a spoon or a tostón molder (they make them just for this) push the medallion down so it spreads out a little without breaking apart
-put back into oil and fry until golden

you can make a nice topping for them with olive oil, chopped garlic, green or red peppers and salt.

Ripe plantains (Maduros)

-They have to be REALLY ripe, as in turning black
-Peel them and cut in diagonal rounds
-Fry them in a pan with some butter or bacon fat over low heat for a LONG time. I personally like mine slightly burned as it caramelizes them a little. You can speed it up at the end turning up the heat but if you want them soft and sweet then they have to be slow cooked.

Perhaps this thread is not the best for the above... Big Grin

Re. breastfeeding, I have no qualms about it. Have always planned on doing it. Ideally for a year if I can last that long. Will have to go out and buy some more jackets though, I only own one!

Elena
www.duoscarbo.com

Posts: 7252 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perhaps this thread is not the best for the above...

Thanks a bunch! Sounds delicious, though.

quote:
Re. breastfeeding, I have no qualms about it. Have always planned on doing it. Ideally for a year if I can last that long. Will have to go out and buy some more jackets though, I only own one!

Shawls are the greatest. I went beyond a year. Handy, emotionally fulfilling and not unsensuous. Some men get into sharing a bit too. Wink

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Oh, apropos of this thread and breast-feeding...It's REALLY fun to be able to eat about a third more than usual! The trouble is, it can be a little like being a high-power athlete. When you quit you have to retrain your consumption, or else.

If you and Jonathan think THIS is big, just you wait until afterwards! It's big-time BAZOOM time. I felt like a cartoon. Some women (and not necesarily ones you'd expect) go that way more than others. I could have nursed quintuplets without batting an eye. (A bit time-consuming though). At one point, I thought how fun being a wet-nurse would be. Just eat and nurse, nurse and eat. Maybe read while nursing...

BTW, regardless of what laLeche says, it is sad but true that when they deflate (and of course they do), they don't quite spring back to where they were Frowner Stay well-supported to minimize this!

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of EHpianist
posted Hide Post
Amanda, don't want to continue hijacking the thread so I sent you a PM.

Shawls sound like my kind of thing!

Elena
www.duoscarbo.com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Hey, I lost 15 pounds this month!

OK, I had a virus, and that clearly helped, but going to the gym every day had its effect, too.

Posts: 45778 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
You rock!

Posts: 9814 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
Hey, I lost 15 pounds this month!

OK, I had a virus, and that clearly helped, but going to the gym every day had its effect, too.

Wow, I'm impressed. I've had a virus going on 3 weeks now. Don't feel good enought to go the gym. Heck, I think I caught this bug at the gym. I'm coughing and sneezing, and unfortunately, eating. Lots and lots of eating. I think I've gained 5 pounds.

Frowner Jodi

Posts: 20485 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post