well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  About Us    Culinary school rantings :) *added a couple pictures*
Page 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 29
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Culinary school rantings :) *added a couple pictures*
 Login/Join

What Life?
Picture of Muffin's sister
posted Hide Post
Time FLIES. I started my LAST class on Monday!! Well I take that back, our externship is no longer pass/fail, there is a letter grade for it Blink. But this is the last class I'll have on campus!

In this first 3 weeks we are doing celebration cakes, a croquembouche (that we've already done! picture to follow), a child's birthday cake (this class ends on SM's 2nd birthday Smiler), and a wedding cake. The second 3 weeks will be show pieces, we'll spend a week and a half on a large sugar piece and the rest on a large chocolate piece. We'll work in pairs and each do a side of it.

Croquembouche! Translated means "crunch in your mouth" traditional French wedding cake. Cream puffs dipped in caramel on a base of nougatine (never remember how to spell that...) and then spun sugar (no not cotton candy Big Grin) wrapped around. Garnished with a marzipan rose and leaves.

Tonight we are starting our children's birthday cake! I've chosen The Price is Right since SM LOVES it, specifically Plinko and the wheel. I'm going to make a large Plinko board out of pastillage, cover in fondant and decorate with royal icing, large yellow name tag (they look like price tags on the show) will say happy birthday! Around the sides of the cake I'll make the numbers from the wheel out of fondant. Really excited to get started!

Posts: 2262 | Location: Way Southeast of Phoenix | Registered: 21 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
You go, girl!

I so loved making my kids cakes...while mine are not culinary school quality, they did make for family memories.

Your Mom would have liked the one I made with the boys for Mr. Beelady...a Startrek communicator.... Big Grin

Enjoy your new class!

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:

Your Mom would have liked the one I made with the boys for Mr. Beelady...a Startrek communicator.... Big Grin

Big Grin pictures pictures!

Posts: 2262 | Location: Way Southeast of Phoenix | Registered: 21 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muffin's sister:
quote:

Big Grin pictures pictures!

Oh that is the one I couldn't find!

But if you see this image, I just took the basic shapes and carved them from a sheet ..using the corners I took off to make the points...
Fun!

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
And MS..the best money I ever spent was on a Wilton ball shaped cake pan set..the possibilities are endless..

We have done Earth, Mars, a basketball, baseball, snow man, golf ball (on coconut green grass for a mini golf party)....

What Life?
posted Hide Post
quote:
And MS..the best money I ever spent was on a Wilton ball shaped cake pan set..the possibilities are endless..

We have done Earth, Mars, a basketball, baseball, snow man, golf ball (on coconut green grass for a mini golf party)....

Oooo I've thought about getting one of those, the bake supply shop has them for around $10, might have to pick one up Big Grin

What Life?
posted Hide Post
Good news! I've been looking for a job for awhile now that I'm getting close to finishing school. I got a message for a second interview at a bakery (Paradise Bakery, also known as Panera Bread in other parts) today! I called back and they didn't even want me to come in Big Grin. Phone interview went really well, just need to talk to one more person (said she'd call tonight or tomorrow) and then it sounds like I have the job! happydance

Good things about this job:

- it's 20 minutes from our house (when you live in the boonies 20 minutes is like saying across the street in a normal area Big Grin)

- it's fixed schedule so I won't have to be guessing when I'm going to work next week

- After training I will be the only one in the bakery for about the first 3 hours. Which means I get to pick the music I want and be able to get a solid start to the day.

- They provide tools! I don't have to bring anything! (Most places you provide everything except bowls, sheet pans, etc)

- They have a dishwasher! I don't have to do my own dishes! (Even when I'm alone at 5am I can stack my dishes for when the dishwasher arrives Big Grin)

Bad things:

- It starts at 4:30am (baker position), although it will be nice to be able to come home, take a nap, and spend time as a family when SM Sr gets home late afternoon.

- Not sure what the pay scale is. In my first interview they said pay, benefits, etc would be discussed at orientation (once every 2 weeks every new employee from the PHX area has the big meeting together). I didn't feel comfortable asking in the 2nd interview...I'll just suck it up and wait until orientation.

Our good friend will be caring for SM, she wants a ridiculously low amount so when I figure out what I'll be making I'll be sure to pay her well Big Grin. SM Sr will drop him off on his way to work and I'll pick him up after I get off, only bad thing about that is her house is out of the way for SM Sr on his way to work.

What Life?
Picture of piqaboo
posted Hide Post
Yay!

Posts: 2691 | Registered: 07 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Yay! Give me the address... I will definitely come in and gush all over the baked goodies.

"Wow, have you guys changed your recipes? These (cookies, rolls, muffins) are fantastic!! Much better than I remembered," etc., etc.

Congratulations! happydance I think having a few hours early to get organized, listen to your own music, before the big rush starts sounds great.

Posts: 35385 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I'll join you, so we can gush in tandem.

"Nina, did you notice the muffins' subtle flavor and their fine, moist crumb? I don't recall tasting anything like that here before!!!"

"Why, yes, Mary Anna! And look at how delicately the carrot is piped on top of this carrot cake's luscious cream cheese icing! Here, have another of these delightfully crisp cookes!"

And the best part is that we'd also get to eat the stuff. Otherwise, our enthusiasm would be implausible.

Posts: 15522 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
ThumbsUp

Keyboard Jam

Posts: 25736 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:

And the best part is that we'd also get to eat the stuff. Otherwise, our enthusiasm would be implausible.

You raise an excellent point--one I hadn't fully comprehended. ThumbsUp

Posts: 35385 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone Smiler

quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Yay! Give me the address... I will definitely come in and gush all over the baked goodies.

"Wow, have you guys changed your recipes? These (cookies, rolls, muffins) are fantastic!! Much better than I remembered," etc., etc.

Congratulations! happydance I think having a few hours early to get organized, listen to your own music, before the big rush starts sounds great.

It's still wayyy out in the boonies Big Grin

Superstition Gateway/Signal Butte
1946 South Signal Butte Road
Mesa, AZ 85209

(it's in that HUGE plaza, Walmart side, down on the end near Baseline)

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
That's actually not too bad, since it's so close to the 60. I'm guessing it would take me 40 minutes or so to get there from my place, maximum. Definitely worth it for a muffin and a cup of coffee! Smiler

(I've been there tonz o' times--it's in the middle of deepest, darkest volleyball gym land.)

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Let's see...2 hours to the Orlando airport. An hour or so there to get through security. Four or so hours in the air. Forty-five minutes of fussing around with baggage and car rental. How far is the place from the airport? An hour? Add in another thirty or forty-five minutes for me to go where Stud Muffin is and snatch him...I can be there in under ten hours.

Bring on the cookies and carrot cake.

Posts: 15522 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post