well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  About Us    Culinary school rantings :) *added a couple pictures*
Page 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Culinary school rantings :) *added a couple pictures*
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
But is she hip and cool like us forty-somethings? That's what I want to know.

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
How exciting! Your schedule makes me exhausted just reading about it. But at least when school's over you might perceive that you have all this free time. *snort*

PM me the location--I think I have an idea where it is, perhaps even the building--but I'm not sure. Or why bother PM'ing, now that I think about it? Let all the WTF'ers know so they can pop in! ThumbsUp

Mary Anna--your comment reminded me of a thought that percolated to me. In Jodi's paper shredder thread, she and I were cracking up because we both thought of Fawn Hall, instantly stamping ourselves as, um, seasoned. Someone mused about what Fawn must look like these days, and my thought was, "She probably looks as hot as Jodi and I do!" Big Grin

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Which is pretty darn hot. Seasoned can be sexy. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Quirt, what is your recipe for hot buttered rum? It sounds good, kinda like a liquid butterscotch but I never actually tried it, since I'm usually in more of a pina colada climate.

However it tastes, I'm pretty sure it's more pleasant than a faceful of snow, which is what skiers like me tend to get.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
(I think this is in the wrong thread, but what the hey.)

I'm not really a rum guy. I make a mean mulled cider, and I have a great recipe for spiking egg nog. Those work best for me.

Posts: 45737 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I think I got lost in all the threads.

I think my wassail punch may be like your mulled cider, except I usually use the dreaded rum and I put some orange juice in there, just because I like it.

I usually just go to other people's parties and enjoy eggnog, so have no recipe for that. It's easier that way...

What Life?
Picture of piqaboo
posted Hide Post
MS, you cant work Tuesdays, you are so sorry because you'd really love to help out but you have a firm commitment already at that time, that you cant get out of.

As MissManners once said, no need to explain further.

Posts: 2691 | Registered: 07 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of Muffin's sister
posted Hide Post
Nina - The shop is Echo Coffee at 68th St and Thomas (~1/2 mile west of Scottsdale Rd, NW corner). It's open 7am to 10pm, I'm there from before open to 11 or noon for now. I hope to go to full time after class is over. www.echocoffee.com Right now prices are *cheap* I think all coffee drinks are under $5, drip coffee is $2. All bake case items are $2. Sandwiches (we made a hummus n veg wrap today, SO good) + salads for lunch are $7-12 i think.

Yesterday as I was leaving the owner stopped me and gave me a key happydance This morning I opened all by myself! I was alone for the first 2.5 hours and it was awesome. My boss didn't come in until 9 so I only had to deal with her for 2 hours happydance

Chef/boss left me a note with 3 things to do this AM. I was done with them in the first 45 minutes. So I had the whole place set up to open (chairs down, windows/tables/etc scrubbed, etc) by the time the owner got there at 6:45. About an hour before my shift ended I was washing dishes because the baristas are lazy and I didn't have anything else to do (everything was in the oven for another 20 minutes), owner came in and talked with me for a few minutes. He said that he loves that I'm always busy and smiling. I think this job is starting out really well. Looks like I'll be opening by myself M-F (the days I work anyway) and then i'm with boss all shift on weekends.

I was filling out all of my official paperwork, during orientation I was told my new position was pastry cook, when I asked this time out of curiosity the owner said pastry assistant Big Grin. Sounds better to me! ROTFLMAO

Tonight we start chocolate showpieces in class! I'm excited Smiler I can't believe class is over 2 weeks from wed!

Posts: 2262 | Location: Way Southeast of Phoenix | Registered: 21 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Busy and smiling--that's my girl!

What Life?
posted Hide Post
Midterm grades were posted, B for me Frowner. Disappointed. This class is hard!!

Tonight we're tempering 15lbs of chocolate Eeker for our chocolate showpiece. We're going to pour half into a sheet pan and cut out the "legs" then pour the rest into circles for bases and supports. Doesn't sound like much but I'm sure it'll take us all class long! It was originally due on Thursday but Chef has a heart in there somewhere and made it due on Monday.

Posts: 2262 | Location: Way Southeast of Phoenix | Registered: 21 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Don't be disappointed.

1) You're awesome.

2) it's only the midterm grade.

2) even if you do end up with a B, I can promise you in 5 years it won't matter one iota because:

4) You're awesome!

Smiler

Posts: 20446 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jodi Smiler

What Life?
posted Hide Post
I got a job offer from Disney in the mail today! Took them long enough!! It's a little salt in the wound because I wanted Disney SO bad. But I just keep telling myself I get paid more here, don't have to juggle my boys all over the nation, and I bet I'll be treated a whole lot better where I am now Big Grin.

It's nice to be wanted. Now I just have to throw out the darn packet they gave me because of course it looks *fabulous*. I know it's all marketing/lies and working there wouldn't be anything like that...but I dreamed about it for so long. Little bittersweet.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Write them back a nice note declining their offer but be sure to tell them why.

No need to burn bridges, but they should know that their inaction cost them a good employee.

You never know how things shake out--always best to keep the door open on something you're honestly interested in.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Besides, how many Mickey Mouse ears cookies can you make before you go totally bananas? suave