well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  About Us    Culinary school rantings :) *added a couple pictures*
Page 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Culinary school rantings :) *added a couple pictures*
 Login/Join

What Life?
Picture of musicasacra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muffin's sister:
Bridezilla asked if I was going to stay and cut/serve the cake hysteric Nuts I couldn't say "no" any faster.

Posts: 2659 | Registered: 02 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of Muffin's sister
posted Hide Post
Sugar flowers for the wedding cake due in class tonight Smiler. These took foreverrrr, no wonder we charge an arm and a leg for them Big Grin I'm not going to post the type of flowers they're *supposed* to be because I don't want to offend Lilylady or other gardeners by mangling them Big Grin I did my best!

I'll post pictures of the wedding cake at some point this weekend. Tomorrow I go to work and then have to make/drop off the bridezilla's cake at some point before midnight. Saturday I work until 2 and then have to frantically make it even further South of where we live before 4 to stack and display the cake Nuts

At least this weekend will pay me well Big Grin.

In AZ we have food handler's cards (maybe they're everywhere but FL? People think I'm nuts when I say I hadn't heard of them before I moved here) there's one for all food workers and one for managers. Food workers is a walk-in free deal plus a fee for the card, managers is an all-day very expensive class plus a fee for the card. Part of my education was a ServSafe class, since I got my ServSafe certification all I had to do was bring that in and I go the manager's card for $8 (2 copies, one for work and one for me) and about 5 minutes happydance 99.9% of the time that card equals a raise or at the very least makes you much more valuable to the company. Health dept loves that card.

Also *finally* found out what I'll be paid and it's higher than I was expecting happydance

Posts: 2262 | Location: Way Southeast of Phoenix | Registered: 21 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
happydance all around!

The flowers are beautiful. I had nothing like that on my wedding cake.

I think if bridezilla acts up you should show her your ServSafe card and just give her a look like, "excuse me, are you talking to me.....? You have no idea who you're dealing with here!"

Congratulations! Let me know when I can come to Scottsdale and rave about all your stuff. (Let me know if there are specific raves I need to practice. Big Grin)

Posts: 35420 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
posted Hide Post
Thanks Nina! We "open" Friday because we're having a party for the owner's friends Friday night. He is insane. I'll let you know when we open to the public! He said we'll have a friends/family party, although I assume it'll be a night when I'm in class but I can give you tickets to free food anyway Big Grin

Posts: 2262 | Location: Way Southeast of Phoenix | Registered: 21 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
On a slightly related topic, there is an annual juggling campout on a farm that I sometimes go to. One of the really neat things is that the hosts have many edible flowers in their garden. They always put colorful, beautiful, yummy flowers on the salads.

I never think to ask what kinds of flowers they are.

Posts: 30039 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
posted Hide Post
PJ - that's so cool!

We are finally finished with all things edible in my program! happydance Monday we start our chocolate showpiece and then after that we have a sugar showpiece and then class is over!

This is a very. very. difficult class. Since it's an advanced class and the final class of the program anything less than perfect is just unacceptable. Even if you've never done it before!

Piano wedding cake:

I got an 88. It was my first time doing cornelli lace, pearl boarder, fondant cutouts, and sugar flowers. Also my first time covering a large cake with DIY fondant (store-bought is SO much easier).

I'm just disappointed. There was nothing else I could have done, I even went to campus at noon on Wednesday (that's 6 hours early) to work on the cake. I wasn't able to come very early yesterday (just 45 minutes) and I wasn't able to work on much of it at home because of SM. I did my best. It just sucks to slave and slave and be told that I should have done *so* much better.

Off to start my first official day at the coffee shop shortly happydance

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Have fun at your new job!!!

The cake is beautiful and the chef's an idiot, but we already knew that.

I tell you, I'm sending Faye out there with a blowtorch.

Posts: 15541 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
It turned out beautifully!

If I may suggest a couple of things.

Find past pics of WHAT GOT THE 98 so you have some idea of the expectation on future projects,

And

Your grades may be sliding scale.

Either way, sliding or not, you did a great job and an 88 for the first viewing is very good indeed.

You are way too hard on yourself!

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of SAS
posted Hide Post
I think that cake is beautiful1

Posts: 5151 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 02 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"One half of me is a hopeless romantic, the other half is so damn realistic."
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
Clearly chef doesn't play the piano or you would have gotten a 98!

Keyboard Jam

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone Smiler

LL - the cakes are judged individually (lace is worth x points, fondant is worth x points, piping is worth x, etc) so it's impossible to compare cake to cake without comparing each individual component.

I know 88 is a good grade and I'm fine with that, it's just frustrating to be graded like we've done this for weeks when it's only our first time doing any of it. Frowner Chef says I should write a letter to the dept chair about how that is done...but with how short the class is there really isn't time to teach us everything and get the cakes done without completely taking away creativity and making us all do the exact same cake.

"One half of me is a hopeless romantic, the other half is so damn realistic."
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
Actually, I just noticed that you got an 88 on a piano cake. Kind of fitting, don't you think?

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rustyfingers:
Actually, I just noticed that you got an 88 on a piano cake. Kind of fitting, don't you think?

That was my second thought after WTF??? Both are fitting Big Grin

What Life?
Picture of Nan W
posted Hide Post
MS -- I think that sugar flower is just incredible.

This whole thread is what inspired me to make that cake for my sister.

Posts: 2350 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: 08 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
posted Hide Post
Nan, thank you!! If you ever want tips/recipes/fun brainstorming let me know Smiler

I officially started work (for the public not practice) yesterday! It's been a lot of fun so far. Yesterday was stressful because the kitchen is tiny and we really don't know the kitchen yet. Lots of burning ourselves and running pans into the tables. I got one of the sheet pans stuck in the dish sink Big Grin that was fun. My boss is okay, she's very nice but a little too "I'm hip and cool just like you 20somethings", but it is Scottsdale.

Yesterday I made scones (blueberry and chocolate chip), coffee cake (the first one was burned because our oven wasn't calibrated Big Grin 350 was more like 430. Oops), cookies (chocolate chip and shortbread), raspberry squares, and I did some prep for today. Today we start experimenting with our lunch menu, I think we have 2 grilled sandwiches and 2 or 3 cold ones.

My kitchen counterpart has already been fired. Meaning I'm now working the next forever. I used to have this coming tues and thurs off, last night they added me on thurs...here's hoping I keep tues to myself! The hours will be really nice (I'm only 6 hour shifts right now so when SM goes to the babysitter that's 2/3 of what I'll make that day. Ugh, SM Sr has Wed-Fri off so then he's on daddy duty) but I think I'm going to die before school is over. Thankfully it'll be over 2 weeks from Wed!