well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  About Us    Culinary school rantings :) *added a couple pictures*
Page 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 29
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Culinary school rantings :) *added a couple pictures*
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Remember the time we ate in the castle and little-bitty toddler Muffin snatched up the Mickey-shaped pat of butter and bit his head off?

Good times...

Posts: 15518 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of Muffin's sister
posted Hide Post
Nina - I'm so excited for my interview. It's supposedly a group interview...I'm not really sure how to sell myself without looking like I'm throwing the rest of the group under the bus. Big Grin

Mom - I do remember that! SM's funny face pancakes at IHOP usually come with some whipped cream (they have a healthier version now with a banana smile, strawberry eyes, etc) and he always thinks the butter dollop on mine is whipped cream. He doesn't care that it's not, he eats it all anyway just in case I'm being sneaky and trying to disguise it or something. Big Grin

Posts: 2262 | Location: Way Southeast of Phoenix | Registered: 21 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
posted Hide Post
Good news: Interview went well. 2 other people other than me, both culinary, so no need to throw anyone under a bus Big Grin. My favorite chef (chef #1, go back to beginning and see how much I loathed him. Funny thing is he really knows just how much I hated him) went in to talk with the recruiter after my interview (unknown to me. He mentioned sitting in on the interview but he had to proctor someone's practical so he stopped by after). I saw him after class and he said I should get an email in a week and a letter in 2 weeks. Trying not to count chickens before they hatch....

Bad news: They only take on P&B students for 4 months. SM Sr has turned another leaf and is fully supportive if this is what I want to do...provided that SM is watched by someone that we personally know, they'll get my paycheck minus what I pay my brother for rent Big Grin. I think SM Sr's 17 year old brother should come down for the summer and then we'll figure out Fall when Fall comes...but SM Sr says he'll get homesick blah blah blah. SM could go up to live with his uncle and grandad...but I don't think uncle could stand up to evil witch grandma if push came to shove and she is NOT allowed to be alone with SM....

I think my brother's wife should just quit her job that she hates, practice playing baby with SM, and then when we leave have a baby and stay at home Big Grin

Posts: 2262 | Location: Way Southeast of Phoenix | Registered: 21 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Do NOT send that child to Minnesota Peyton Place. He can come here and play with Mimi and terrorize the kitty. It'll give me an excuse not to work around the clock. Smiler

Posts: 15518 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I was wondering if Muffin might need a babysitting job over the summer? Leaving

MS, I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you! And a big thumbsup to SM Sr for helping make it happen!

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Yes, we have Muffin here and her fifteen-year-old cousin in Orlando. Plus SM's Mimi. And his Orlando-based aunt and uncle at night and on weekends. SM will be spoiled rotten.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
Yes, we have Muffin here and her fifteen-year-old cousin in Orlando. Plus SM's Mimi. And his Orlando-based aunt and uncle at night and on weekends. SM will be spoiled rotten.

Perhaps that is exactly what SM Sr. is afraid of. Ole

Posts: 45757 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
If a grandmother cannot spoil a child rotten, then she has no reason for being.

Evil

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I'm sure I will agree with that point of view ... in approximately 15-25 years.

Right now, especially when I am talking to my mother, it seems horribly wrong to me.

hysteric

Posts: 45757 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
posted Hide Post
Impatiently waiting for news from Disney Smiler

Tonight we're going to watch Chef do a plating. All night long. Since we'll be sitting on uneven (shift your weight and you feel like you're going to topple into Chef's workspace Big Grin) super uncomfortable stools, and the kitchen is always freezing since the stoves and ovens are off.

And I just realized I don't own a single long sleeve shirt to wear under my uniform. Ridiculous.

What Life?
posted Hide Post
Class is going well. Burned the crud out of myself tonight Frowner and it wasn't on the oven or stove or anything like that, it was in the freaking dish pit. We share a dish room with the kitchen next door, everyone is supposed to rinse in the pit sink and either wash in the dishwasher or go use their tree sink. Either way they need to stay with their darn dishes. I went into the dish room, no one was in there and the washer was running. I went to rinse off my stuff in the sink and the washer spit insanely hot water out towards the sink because some %*% loaded the tray WAY too full. It was so hot it felt cold for a few seconds. I bet it'll be a nice blister before I wake up in the morning Frowner.

Out of anger and inability to do anything for a few minutes from pain I stood in the dish room waiting for the idiot to come get their dishes. But I think I scared them off with my loud cursing, they didn't come get their crud for at least 15 minutes.

Here is the plating from tonight, it's an apple tart tatin with vanilla ice cream plus chocolate and caramel garnishes and cider gastrique and raspberry sauces.

(bad cell phone picture)

Still no word from Disney...any day now Smiler

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
That's pretty! Smiler

I worked in a restaurant for almost a year and I remember being a) burned by grease, b) almost frozen in the walk in freezer, and c) cut. I'm guessing some of that goes with the territory! I hope you weren't burned too badly. Feel better soon!

Good luck with Disney! Disney is awesome. I hope you get it. Smiler

Posts: 24740 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Does your training include any sort of safety instructions? I've only worked as a waitress but the chefs I saw were absolutely fanatical about safety in the kitchen, and would really light into someone for doing something like that.

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
posted Hide Post
Safety is the number one priority, I had a full 6 weeks on safety at the beginning. Our chef couldn't do anything because it wasn't our class and the other Chef was too busy to figure it out I guess.

It's not too bad today, it's a blister but it could be worse.

What Life?
Picture of piqaboo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muffin's sister:
Our chef couldn't do anything because it wasn't our class and the other Chef was too busy to figure it out I guess.

That is ********. Your chef is responsible for her students. Thats like saying you cant figure out which kid is throwing rocks, because it wasnt your son who threw them, just him who got hit.
And the other chef is worse - her/his students caused an injury. They need a scathing lecture, and to come do your dishes for a day after class.

Posts: 2691 | Registered: 07 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post