well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Today I saw...
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 69

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Today I saw...
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Today I saw:

"When good plumbing goes bad"

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Today I also saw:

About half of my back yard chipped up and hauled away.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
So yeah, it's a belt sander belt that I'm using for hand sanding... Just getting down to the wood.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Today I also saw:

About half of my back yard chipped up and hauled away.

That's a lotta brush. Stuff grows so fast out there. After pics?

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LL:
That's a lotta brush. Stuff grows so fast out there.

5 years' worth. The people who planted that hill did so with an eye toward things that grow quickly, not nicely. Pyracantha, and Brazilian Black Pepper mostly.

quote:
After pics?

Maybe, but it looks pretty bad. My trick now is going to be how to poison the stumps/roots so they don't come back - or at least not all of them come back. Digging them out is not going to be an option on the hill - I don't want it to slide.

Also trying to figure out what to plant back. The lantana I have on most of the hill now takes quite a bit of water and water is getting mighty expensive around here. Maybe Ceanothus if I can find a prostrate version.

Any suggestions?

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Afraid I don't, not knowing the warmer climate plants. Only thin I can suggest is to look around at what others do.

Good point about the hillside. Killing your stumps will also kil their roots and produce the same slide.

Check online for plants that tolerate dry and hold back soil. My thoughts would be that everything will need watering their first year.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LL:
Killing your stumps will also kill their roots and produce the same slide.

The hope is that by the time the old roots rot the new plants will have taken over.

We'll see.

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
So yeah, it's a belt sander belt that I'm using for hand sanding... Just getting down to the wood.

Hmmm. We have a LOT of hand sanders. Wouldn't hurt to try.

Thanks for the idea!

EDIT: Maybe I'll wait to see if YOU can get it all off. Also, whether or not you're able to stain it once you get it down to the ("white") wood. I have another such sanded spot, that won't take a stain no matter what ("pros" have tried, too).

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"One half of me is a hopeless romantic, the other half is so damn realistic."
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
Seems like both rontuner and Steve Miller's pictures could also have easily gone under the "get rid of something every day" thread. Smiler

Problems are not the problem. Coping is the problem. --Virginia Satir

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LL:
After pics?

Today I saw "after pics", which I hesitate to post for fear Lilylady will take me to task for neglecting my maintenance duties. Big Grin

From center of hill looking west. The stuff at the botom of the hill is lantana - two types that were supposed to be the same type - interlaced with asparagus fern I would love to be rid of:

Center of hill looking east. The big tree is a 5 trunk Russian olive that is dying. Tree guys say it has a disease (that already took out my other olive - more in a bit) that is spread by glass winged sharpshooters and threeatens to kill every olive tree in SoCA.

The new wall at the top is what started all of this. New owner up there wanted the wall instead of the chain link that was there before. I can barely see any of it and balked at evenly sharing the cost of 170' of block/wrought iron wall. Agreed to kick in just a bit and agreed to cut down the bushes so he could have a view in the interest of neighborliness. My subcontractor did the work for a fair price and at least I got a nice finish on the wall on my side.

Here's where things really get ugly. Northeastern corner of my property. Dead tree is the olive I spoke of earlier, once home to a most excellent tree house, now covered by my neighbor's clematis. Aurelias flanking the little shrine got way too big and have to go. Dirt area is where the spa was.

"One half of me is a hopeless romantic, the other half is so damn realistic."
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post

It's officially fall. Sunset is coming earlier and earlier.

Problems are not the problem. Coping is the problem. --Virginia Satir

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:

Also trying to figure out what to plant back. The lantana I have on most of the hill now takes quite a bit of water and water is getting mighty expensive around here. Maybe Ceanothus if I can find a prostrate version.

Any suggestions?

You live in the desert. Use desert materials.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13558 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Techno-Stud
Minor Deity
Picture of Matt G.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
quote:

Any suggestions?

You live in the desert. Use desert materials.

Ceanothus is native to Steve's area. It's perfectly suited to the climate. I love it, though most are rather shrubby, and not so well-suited to a hillside. Steve, how about some creeping manzanita? (Notice, I didn't recommend plumbago or ice plant!)

[Insert Signature Here]

Posts: 15343 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking some Manzanita and some Coyote Bush. There are a few Ceanothus that are supposed to stay low and spread as well but it looks like getting them established can be tricky

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Kitty likes to see what's going on above the table...

It took years for our other cat to slow down and decide it was ok to sit on laps. This one is a maniac part of the time, but then likes to come and rest with people...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post