well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Help w piano placement
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help w piano placement
 Login/Join

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Can you try centering the rug in the vertical orientation like the last pictures and then placing the piano angled so that your back would be to the bay? Use the carpet to determine how far back your bench could stay on the carpet and place the piano forward of that?

--------------------------------
Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7602 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Or perhaps the piano not on the carpet at all? Use the bay as much as possible and have the carpet horizontal as a statement closer to the entrance of the room?

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7602 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Here's one (the floor color is too dark though)

I like this arrangement because you'll have less dead space in the room. One possible drawback is if the curtain pulls are on the right, you'll have to contend with the narrow end of the piano. I'm assuming there's enough room on the left to walk past the piano? Other drawback is the lines of the rug unless you can turn the rug on an angle.

But I also like Jodi's arrangement. I think it will make the room look less crowded.

Big problem with chairs at the narrow end of grands in small rooms: If you're seated there you're lower than the top of the piano lid so you can't see anything past the piano, least of all the piano player. Also, it tends to be dark. Might be a good place for a desk, though.

quote:
And I really want a dedicated piano room so that I can practice the piano and not have him in the same room, which is what will happen if the piano is in the living room, because he'll go in there to relax at the end of the day -- as he should. But that's right when I'm getting ready to practice.

Don't put it in the living room.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10678 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
the vertical orientation

I think if we put the carpet vertical, it will stick out in the doorway opening, which might look weird and possibly be a tripping hazard. Maybe not, but it's kind of hard to tell. I need to go back and measure because the left hand wall is over 11', whereas the bottom wall is 7'3", and the carpet it 8' wide... If having the carpet at the "top" of the room means we can keep the bottom left corner of the carpet out of the doorway, it could work...

OTOH, having the carpet horizontal at the top of the room will probably be the best for utilizing the room, having chairs there etc.

And if my measurements are right (they might not be!) even with the carpet placed horizontally, I can probably still get the piano on the carpet at an angle, with the bench on the carpet. I think...

quote:
perhaps the piano not on the carpet at all?

Won't that be bad acoustically? This room is going to be pretty live, I expect.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18858 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't put it in the living room.

This is the direction I'm going right now.

If it's just awful having the piano in the dining room, then I could pay to have it moved again...
WhoMe

Posts: 18858 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
And I really want a dedicated piano room so that I can practice the piano and not have him in the same room, which is what will happen if the piano is in the living room, because he'll go in there to relax at the end of the day -- as he should. But that's right when I'm getting ready to practice.

Won't the sound of the piano travel through the open doorway into the living room? Clearly, it won't be as loud as if it were in the living room, but would Mr SK be able to watch TV while you're playing?

I'm tellin' ya...the lower level is the answer to all your problems... Big Grin

When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

Posts: 38212 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Won't the sound of the piano travel through the open doorway into the living room? Clearly, it won't be as loud as if it were in the living room, but would Mr SK be able to watch TV while you're playing?

It's not so much the sound issue. Mr SK rarely watches TV by himself. It's more that he wants to relax on the sofa, usually he's reading or something. And I want to practice the piano without him in the same room. And these things tend to happen at the same time. In our old house, we had a family room and a piano room. The doorway into the family room didn't have a door, so obviously the piano sound was quite loud, but it worked fine.

Somehow he's put up with the sound of my piano practice for 25 years now. But this last year, I've found it very hard to concentrate while practicing with my piano in our living room. I'm probably still self-conscious -- even though he can hear me if he's in the next room, I don't focus on it. But it's been hard when he's right next to me. But I don’t want to tell him not to come into the living room while I’m practicing. That's why I want a dedicated piano room.

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
the lower level is the answer to all your problems...

And the finished room on the lower level will be his studio. If we had the living room for entertaining, the dining room for dining, guest room #1 for my home office, guest room #2 for guests, and the lower level for my piano, he wouldn't have his own space at all!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I was thinking about his studio being in the unfinished space in the basement, but that's where the exercise equipment is going. My mistake.

Clearly you need to build an addition! With that nice big lot it shouldn't be any problem at all.. Big Grin

When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

Posts: 38212 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Clearly you need to build an addition! With that nice big lot it shouldn't be any problem at all..

Now you're talking! We'll get right on that!

Big Grin

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
I looked up some stats...

Cheapo Broan ductless range hood ($80) is rated at 230 CFM. Probably like what you had in an apartment.

I looked at three different OTR microwave/hood combos that are likely equivalent to what you have in the new house. They were all rated at 300 CFM, so that must be typical for that style of exhaust fan. Do you know if yours is ducted or if it uses a charcoal filter?

Our 36" wide Broan hood is rated at 430 CFM; we have a 36" wide cooktop that puts out a lot of heat. That's at the highest speed, which we never use. We rarely go above 50% fan speed.

BBe aware that an unducted hood will not eliminate humidity. It filters the air so it can trap some grease in the filter and, if it's a charcoal filter, also intercept some odor, but the air with its added humidity is simply recycled into the room.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7466 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Your own practice room. Of course you should have your own practice room.
Bob wants me to have a practice room, so long as it is in another state.

He did not say that, but...

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25849 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Big Al, thanks for that! I'll take a look when we're there next.

quote:
Your own practice room. Of course you should have your own practice room.

Yes!

quote:
Bob wants me to have a practice room, so long as it is in another state.

Big Grin

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big al:
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
I looked up some stats...

Cheapo Broan ductless range hood ($80) is rated at 230 CFM. Probably like what you had in an apartment.

I looked at three different OTR microwave/hood combos that are likely equivalent to what you have in the new house. They were all rated at 300 CFM, so that must be typical for that style of exhaust fan. Do you know if yours is ducted or if it uses a charcoal filter?

Our 36" wide Broan hood is rated at 430 CFM; we have a 36" wide cooktop that puts out a lot of heat. That's at the highest speed, which we never use. We rarely go above 50% fan speed.

BBe aware that an unducted hood will not eliminate humidity. It filters the air so it can trap some grease in the filter and, if it's a charcoal filter, also intercept some odor, but the air with its added humidity is simply recycled into the room.

Big Al

Yes. This was why I asked if SK knows if the OTR microwave/hood in her kitchen is ducted. They often aren't. I should have mentioned why I was asking. Thanks for filling in the blanks....

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:

It's not so much the sound issue. Mr SK rarely watches TV by himself. It's more that he wants to relax on the sofa, usually he's reading or something. And I want to practice the piano without him in the same room. And these things tend to happen at the same time. In our old house, we had a family room and a piano room. The doorway into the family room didn't have a door, so obviously the piano sound was quite loud, but it worked fine.

Somehow he's put up with the sound of my piano practice for 25 years now. But this last year, I've found it very hard to concentrate while practicing with my piano in our living room. I'm probably still self-conscious -- even though he can hear me if he's in the next room, I don't focus on it. But it's been hard when he's right next to me. But I don’t want to tell him not to come into the living room while I’m practicing. That's why I want a dedicated piano room.

But what if the dining room was a cozy den for relaxing? TV could be in there, too. That’s how we’re set up; piano is in the living room. Although I don’t play it much, but that’s where I run through choir pieces. I used to have piano soirees in the living room/dining room. (We have another room for the den.)

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9851 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post