well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Help w piano placement
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help w piano placement
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Think I might even tuck it into the corner where those built in shelves are.

--------------------------------
Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Wow, jodi. I love that painting!!!

Thank you. I never really finished it, but hung it anyway, and now I likely won’t finish it…

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Ok I just accidentally clicked on some stupid feedback thing on somebody’s post… hope it wasn’t bad! Big Grin

Smiler Jodi

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Jodi, how long is your piano? Mine is 5'8" (plus 3' for bench/clearance on the keyboard end)

Also re your earlier comment, Jodi, is this what you meant? (I would get rid of that chair, that's not even like any chair we own. It's just in the layout for ... I don't know why).

WTG,
quote:
Could you elaborate on why being in the same room as the kitchen is a problem? Are you worried about heat, food grease, or do you just don't want the two functions in the same open space?

Mainly grease/oil/humidity from cooking.

I don't think the two-functions thing is an issue. The times when Mr SK is cooking and I want to be practicing are very, very few because at that time of day, I'm usually not able to practice.

And that's a no to the piano in the basement. Big Grin

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18847 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
btw for the most recent mock-up, I turned the rug but it looked weird...

Posts: 18847 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
6’4” And yes, your last drawing - I’d probably make it closer to the wall and window (I think mine is just a few inches from the wall on the side. What direction is the window facing?

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
And you have a built in China cabinet where that chair is anyway, right? (So no chair would fit there anyway)

Smiler Jodi

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
And you have a built in China cabinet where that chair is anyway, right? (So no chair would fit there anyway)

Nope, that was the seller's and it's gone now. And the room is much larger without it of course!

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
oops, I missed half of your posts, Jodi. Thanks for the suggestions for placement.

Hmm, I'll talk to Mr Sk about having the piano in the living room ... WhoMe

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Also, I have found (having had the same piano in six houses) that the piano has sounded best when the butt end of it was not set in a corner against a wall. (So not like you had it in the rental house). It sounds best when the butt and the open side faced the most open parts of the room.

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
Ok I just accidentally clicked on some stupid feedback thing on somebody’s post… hope it wasn’t bad! Big Grin

You gave it four stars. I'd say it rates at least that. Big Grin

When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

Posts: 38203 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also, I have found (having had the same piano in six houses) that the piano has sounded best when the butt end of it was not set in a corner against a wall. (So not like you had it in the rental house). It sounds best when the butt and the open side faced the most open parts of the room.

oooh, this is good to know, thank you!

In our old house, the butt (I usually call that the tail end, har!) was basically in a corner. I only had one other placement to compare, which was the piano opening to the shorter distance to the opposite wall, so turning it 90 degrees made a huge improvement, but there were those open doorways.. so I've been keeping that in mind as I think about this new placement.

But... Butt... the room is so small, if I go with the dining room, I will probably need have the butt somewhat in a corner... well, not if I do an angle placement though. Hmm...

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Pianos have butts?

hmmm.....

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25843 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:

Here are some photos of the actual room (ignore the unironed curtains, I'll iron before we move in)

That built-in ironing board will come in handy after all...

When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

Posts: 38203 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
That built-in ironing board will come in handy after all...

IKR?? Big Grin