well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Help w piano placement
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help w piano placement
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
Ok I just accidentally clicked on some stupid feedback thing on somebody’s post… hope it wasn’t bad! Big Grin

You gave it four stars. I'd say it rates at least that. Big Grin

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

--------------------------------
Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Functionally, I like the placement parallel to the wall for a starting point. It should be easy to experiment with an angled orientation from there to see if it makes any difference acoustically. I'd probably orient the carpet so that the piano and bench remained on it if the piano is reoriented a bit.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7466 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
It should be easy to experiment with an angled orientation from there to see if it makes any difference acoustically.

Actually, I don't think it's easy at all to experiment with different angles, at least, it's not something we can do ourselves. For starters, it is hard to roll the piano on the carpet and risky because you could easily tear the carpet or possibly push the piano too hard and get in trouble...

When I first bought this piano, I had it positioned in the room and later realized I didn't like the placement. After reading online about it (and posting here and at PW as I recall), I decided to pay piano movers to come back out to the house to reposition it. It cost me $300, but I didn't have to worry about tearing the carpet, or me or my spouse getting injured trying to move the piano ourselves.

At that time, I wasn't just moving the piano but also I had to reposition the carpet, so as I recall, the piano movers tipped the piano onto its side and put it on the dolly so they could roll it out of the way while we moved the carpet to a different spot.

Anyway, my plan is to (hopefully!) settle on two placements. Then I will call in advance and ask the movers about what they can do in terms of positioning, and assuming they won't charge me (or won't charge a lot), I'll plan to try out two placements while they're here.

Hopefully that will work..... because I can't make up my mind! WhoMe

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18847 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Mr SK said he doesn't want the piano in the living room. He thinks it will get cooking grease on it, because that's what happened to our tv when I was in grad school and we lived in an apt. with the kitchen open to the the tv space. He said it was a nightmare to keep the tv clean, and that I would kill him if I wiped down my piano the way he wiped down that old tv....

So, I guess the piano goes in the dining room.

Posts: 18847 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Maybe we can exchange this house for something bigger?

WhoMe

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Jodi, how long is your piano? Mine is 5'8" (plus 3' for bench/clearance on the keyboard end)

Also re your earlier comment, Jodi, is this what you meant? (I would get rid of that chair, that's not even like any chair we own. It's just in the layout for ... I don't know why).

WTG,
quote:
Could you elaborate on why being in the same room as the kitchen is a problem? Are you worried about heat, food grease, or do you just don't want the two functions in the same open space?

Mainly grease/oil/humidity from cooking.

I don't think the two-functions thing is an issue. The times when Mr SK is cooking and I want to be practicing are very, very few because at that time of day, I'm usually not able to practice.

And that's a no to the piano in the basement. Big Grin

I think I’d like the rug turned perpendicular to this, to make piano and bench one unit with the rug. And move the piano a little closer to window and wall. Then any chairs could go along the wall on the left, and not be awkwardly on the rug.

Also, I like the idea of the piano in the living room. I think it would be far enough from the stove that humidity/oil aren’t an issue. That would be an awesome setup for a musical soiree; you know how people want to float around the kitchen and the music!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9849 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
We a) have a very good exhaust hood and b) are religious about using it.

We have a TV in our kitchen eating area. It's 20 ft away from the cooktop/oven/hood. No grease whatsoever on the TV, or for that matter anything else in the kitchen, including the cabinets that are right around the cooktop.

OTOH, don't ask me what the underside of the hood looks like.

When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

Posts: 38201 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think I’d like the rug turned perpendicular to this, to make piano and bench one unit with the rug. And move the piano a little closer to window and wall. Then any chairs could go along the wall on the left, and not be awkwardly on the rug.

I'm starting to get sloppy but here are two mock-ups... the piano isn't to scale, so we really need to get in there and use whatever to try to simulate it on the floor.

quote:
Also, I like the idea of the piano in the living room. I think it would be far enough from the stove that humidity/oil aren’t an issue. That would be an awesome setup for a musical soiree; you know how people want to float around the kitchen and the music!

Yeah, this is really going to start eating at me the more I think about it...

I'll talk to him more and see what he says....

The problem is, we've mapped out how we're using all of the spaces, and putting the piano in the living room messes that up kind of a lot...

And I really want a dedicated piano room so that I can practice the piano and not have him in the same room, which is what will happen if the piano is in the living room, because he'll go in there to relax at the end of the day -- as he should. But that's right when I'm getting ready to practice.

That's what we have now, in the rental, I can practice reach out and touch the sofa from the bench when I'm at the piano.

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
WTG,
quote:
It's 20 ft away from the cooktop/oven/hood.

Hmm, well depending on where in the living room the piano was placed... I still don't think we could get 20 ft away.

Although I need to get over there with a tape measure again, but now that won't happen for a few days. Phooey! This is going to drive me crazy until I can figure it out.

The piano will be moved in about three weeks, but there's a lot that has to happen between now and then (like, I have to pack... WhoMe

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
x

Posts: 7466 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post

I think this arrangment is ok, except I would move the carpet close to the wall at the top so the bench can be entirely on the carpet too. I think it would be super annoying if the bench was half on and half off the carpet.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
WTG,
quote:
It's 20 ft away from the cooktop/oven/hood.

Hmm, well depending on where in the living room the piano was placed... I still don't think we could get 20 ft away.

Although I need to get over there with a tape measure again, but now that won't happen for a few days. Phooey! This is going to drive me crazy until I can figure it out.

The piano will be moved in about three weeks, but there's a lot that has to happen between now and then (like, I have to pack... WhoMe

I don't think you need 20 ft; I just mentioned it for reference. The actual area of the kitchen where we cook has no grease, either. As I said, we have a good fan and we use it. I'm not sure a fan in a student apartment has the same capacity to pull heat and steam out.

When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

Posts: 38201 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not sure a fan in a student apartment has the same capacity to pull heat and steam out.

This is a persuasive point!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I looked up some stats...

Cheapo Broan ductless range hood ($80) is rated at 230 CFM. Probably like what you had in an apartment.

I looked at three different OTR microwave/hood combos that are likely equivalent to what you have in the new house. They were all rated at 300 CFM, so that must be typical for that style of exhaust fan. Do you know if yours is ducted or if it uses a charcoal filter?

Our 36" wide Broan hood is rated at 430 CFM; we have a 36" wide cooktop that puts out a lot of heat. That's at the highest speed, which we never use. We rarely go above 50% fan speed.

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Hmm, I’ll take a look (I googled Broan hood just now, and that’s the kind it looks to be).