well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    My poor daughter
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My poor daughter
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not worried.

This is interesting....

I'm not worried about dying from the corona virus. I'm young(enough), I'm pretty healthy, etc. etc.

But I really don't want to be sick for two weeks, whether it's the flu or coronavirus. I have things to do, and being laid up would really mess up my schedule. If I die, no problem (for me anyway). It's getting sick that worries me, since that would have impacts that will longer long after I'm better.

Also, I'm not keen on dealing with the kind of shortages we might see if there's a significant outbreak. So it makes sense to me to do everything I can to avoid getting sick, and also prepare (within reason) for possible impacts from an outbreak.

A little bit of "worrying" seems highly called for in this case, and if it translates into some smart preventative measures, all the better. At least from where I'm sitting...

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Jodi, just PM'd you. Smiler

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
The Oregon case is VERY close to me. I'm not freaked out but am actually a bit worried about going to the store, since I figure everyone who thinks they may have been exposed is now there stocking up on stuff. Maybe I should go to a store far away....

I'd like to be prepared, but not nuts. I feel the same way about being ready for "the big one."

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I'm where Nina is at.

Or, as Fareed Zakaria put it this morning: Run fast, not scared.

He had a good segment on coronavirus.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
LA Times reports:

"About 27 of the 108 residents at the facility and 25 of the 180 staffers have symptoms of the virus, Dr. Jeffrey Duchin, health officer for Public Health Seattle and King County, said Saturday in a telebriefing with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention."

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Talked to my daughter last night. Costco sold out of toilet paper and bottled water (Wtf, we aren’t going to lose our water supply!) and several other things, she said there were about 900 people waiting for it to open in the morning! What I am most worried about for her is if they do something like close the school, and then there are no dining services. So I’ve done the Worried mom thing Big Grin and am sending her out a care package of whole food protein bars and add water to it microwave meals - just so she has something in her dorm room to eat just in case. (She does not drive, so is pretty limited for how much she can carry). Now I’m off to read Nina’s pm. Smiler

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20462 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
About 27 of the 108 residents at the facility and 25 of the 180 staffers

What facility??

Jodi, my university is asking faculty to be prepared to move classes online (did I post this already?) and there's a big meeting w/ the provost and all deans and chairs tomorrow, so I expect to know more then (maybe).

I can't imagine that any university would close the school without making provisions for its students. Hope that's not naive! :P

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I think the facility is The long term care facility that the person who died was in (in Kirkland Washington where the other two members of my immediate family are as I type this).

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
It’s only a matter of time til it shows up in Butte. Heck, Mr. Jodi might end up being patient 0. HairRaising

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
One of the themes I’ve been following is the inadequacy of our testing capability and the ramifications of that. (Short story is CDC ****** up initial test kits, kept testing centralized too long, and had very narrow criteria for testing, actually declining to test a patient that later came out positive)

Anyway a virologist in WA sequenced the virus of a new patient there and noticed enough similarity compared to the first WA patient to suggests to him that they were not separate infections from China, rather part of continuous chain of infections, suggesting many more cases between the two. His estimate is in the ‘several hundred’ range in WA, he’s working on it now with state heath authorities. Read the whole Twitter thread.

https://twitter.com/trvrb/status/1233970271318503426

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Taleb (bless his heart) makes the point that at first approximation the worldwide cases charts are just a snapshot of testing capacity.

We’re a week or so away from being able to test at the rate the South Koreans are testing. When that happens the case count will go vertical and I think the panic level will rise with it.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Yes, I was reading that they think it’s been in Washington for at least 6 weeks?

Smiler Jodi

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
When that happens the case count will go vertical and I think the panic level will rise with it.

Indeed! I was reading about testing in S. Korea and this occurred to me. Most people don't read past the headline and are not likely to be able to say "the numbers are up because testing is up" -- they'll just stop at the first half of that sentence. Sigh.

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Hey, at least it isn't something like polio that leaves you with a lifetime of paralysis.

It's just so weird. Like, I play a lot of tennis. After a match, you are supposed to go to the net and shake hands with your opponents. By rule, this signifies that all players agree that the match is over and you cannot contest the results.

Now, no one will shake, so matches will never end. The insanity!!

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Are you already seeing that, Cindy?