well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    My poor daughter
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My poor daughter
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
CNN's Dr Sanjay Gupta said he's not shaking hands with anyone. When he came to the studio for the GPS show, he and the host did an elbow bump.

It's an exceedingly simple and safe form of prevention.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The story of one of the people who caught the virus.

https://www.adn.com/opinions/n...ar-it-isnt-that-bad/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
After a match, you are supposed to go to the net and shake hands with your opponents.

Just do it Japanese style: step up to the net, players bow to each other and then turn to face the judges, bow to the judges. Match is over. No one has to touch anyone. Perfect!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
I think the facility is The long term care facility that the person who died was in (in Kirkland Washington where the other two members of my immediate family are as I type this).

Yes.

Posts: 24717 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:

He's in the 80%. Good for him.

I see people reading too much into this account on social media. Reminds me of the people who say 'my grandpa smoked three packs a day of Pall Mall straights and lived to be 95...'

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
Hey, at least it isn't something like polio that leaves you with a lifetime of paralysis.

It's just so weird. Like, I play a lot of tennis. After a match, you are supposed to go to the net and shake hands with your opponents. By rule, this signifies that all players agree that the match is over and you cannot contest the results.

Now, no one will shake, so matches will never end. The insanity!!

hysteric

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
quote:

He's in the 80%. Good for him.

I see people reading too much into this account on social media. Reminds me of the people who say 'my grandpa smoked three packs a day of Pall Mall straights and lived to be 95...'

I hear you. I posted it not because I think we should be downplaying the very real risks, but because this guy's story shows how disruptive it is to have even a mild case. He left home in January and won't be back till March. Great if he has vacation time or sick leave, but pity the poor soul who doesn't.

Another concern I heard raised was regarding the number of ventilators that in the US; I think the number is like 150,000. Something like two-thirds of them are in use all the time for routine stuff going on.

If coronavirus were to spread to millions of people (like the flu does), and even some modest percentage like 5 or 10% of them were to require breathing assistance, there ain't gonna be enough ventilators to go around.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another concern I heard raised was regarding the number of ventilators that in the US; I think the number is like 150,000. Something like two-thirds of them are in use all the time for routine stuff going on.

If coronavirus were to spread to millions of people (like the flu does), and even some modest percentage like 5 or 10% of them were to require breathing assistance, there ain't gonna be enough ventilators to go around.

Oh wow. That's terrifying.

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I'll have to verify the stat when I re-watch the segment I saw this morning.

But here's something from the NYT that echoes the point:

quote:
In 2005, the federal government sought to assess how a respiratory-related pandemic might play out in the United States. Its report estimated that a severe influenza pandemic would require mechanical ventilators for 740,000 critically ill people.

Today, as the country faces the possibility of a widespread outbreak of a new respiratory infection caused by the coronavirus, there are nowhere near that many ventilators, and most are already in use. Only about 62,000 full-featured ventilators were in hospitals across the country, a 2010 study found. More than 10,000 others are stored in the Strategic National Stockpile, a federal cache of supplies and medicines held in case of emergencies, according to Dr. Thomas R. Frieden, a former director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Tens of thousands of other respiratory devices could be repurposed in an emergency, experts say, but the shortfall could be stark, potentially forcing doctors to make excruciating life-or-death decisions about who would get such help should hospitals become flooded with the desperately sick.

Much about the coronavirus remains unclear, and it is far from certain that the outbreak will reach severe proportions in the United States or affect many regions at once. With its top-notch scientists, modern hospitals and sprawling public health infrastructure, most experts agree, the United States is among the countries best prepared to prevent or manage such an epidemic.

But the coronavirus, which appeared in China in December and has stricken more than 86,000 people around the world, killing nearly 3,000, has already exposed significant vulnerabilities in the ability of the United States to respond to serious health emergencies.

In plausible worst-case-scenarios given the pattern of the outbreak thus far, the country could experience acute shortages not just in ventilators but also health workers to operate them and care for patients; hospital beds; and masks and other protective equipment.

“Even during mild flu pandemics, most of our I.C.U.s are filled to the brim with severely ill patients on mechanical ventilation,” said Dr. Eric Toner, a senior scholar at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security and an expert on health care preparedness. “I hope and pray Covid-19 turns out to be a moderate pandemic, but if not, we’re in serious trouble,” he said, referring to the name given the disease caused by the virus.

Resources are concentrated in the most populous and wealthiest cities, leaving rural areas and other neglected communities exposed to greater risk. And public health experts worry that efforts to contain an outbreak could be hamstrung by budget cuts that have weakened state health departments.

quote:
“The Chinese bought us a month of time to prepare ourselves by imposing these astonishing and draconian measures,” said J. Stephen Morrison, senior vice president at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, which last year issued a report that identified flaws in the nation’s health security. “Unfortunately, we didn’t make good use of that time and now we’re heading into a very dangerous situation.”

quote:
Anjali Goel, 18, a New York University student studying in Italy, returned home this past week after the university shut down its campus in Florence. She said she was surprised when a customs officer at Washington Dulles International Airport simply waved her through without asking any questions.

“I expected him to ask me something because I was coming from an infected area,” she said.

For now, Ms. Goel has opted to self-quarantine, just in case. “I’m staying indoors, limiting my interaction with people and checking my temperature,” she said, “even if I am feeling perfectly normal.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/0...n-united-states.html

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
potentially forcing doctors to make excruciating life-or-death decisions about who would get such help should hospitals become flooded with the desperately sick

For which many of them are probably undertrained...

quote:
“Unfortunately, we didn’t make good use of that time and now we’re heading into a very dangerous situation.”

Frowner

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
It’s only a matter of time til it shows up in Butte. Heck, Mr. Jodi might end up being patient 0. HairRaising

Jodi I was thinking about this when i saw that steve was in seattle and then in the news they estimated as many as 1500 infected carriers in Washington state. And that it's been in the area for about six weeks.

Last weekend my physical therapist went to Seattle for a conference. I am now wearing gloves to physical therapy and keeping a few feet between us.
Today Mr Pique did our virus prep run at Costco and lowes. Kleenex, purified water, distilled water (for the neti pot), nyquil, sudafed, clorox wipes, lysol disinfectant concentrate. Aleve, chicken soup, prepackaged meals you pop in the microwave.... also lots of rubbing alcohol. All the n95 masks were gone as was the hand sanitizer. I have a disinfectant soap I was given to scrub with pre-surgery and a scrubber that came with it. I'm using that a few times a day.

I have had pneumonia 4 times and bronchitis countless times, so I am not going to ignore this. It takes me many months to recover from respiratory infections.

With the regular traffic between Montana, Seattle, and Portland, I'm sure it is going to show up here in the very near future.

Hope Katie and Andrew stay safe!

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21347 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Four new cases of COVID-19, the illness caused by the novel coronavirus known as SARS-CoV-2, were confirmed in King County today. Two of those have died. One previously reported coronavirus patient in King County also has died.

This brings the totals in King County to 14 cases of COVID-19, including five deaths, according to Public Health – Seattle & King County.

In addition, a patient from Snohomish County has died, bringing the total deaths in the state to six.

“We expect the number of cases to increase in the coming days and weeks,” said Jeff Duchin, health officer for the public health agency, who stressed that most cases will be mild. “We are taking this situation extremely seriously.”
King County is purchasing a motel to house patients in isolation and setting up modular units to do the same, County Executive Dow Constantine said in a news conference Monday.

People should have essentials in the house similar to what one might keep around in case of an earthquake, said state health officer Dr. Kathy Lofy. here in Washington,” Lofy said.

Public Health Director Patty Hayes asked the public to stop buying up masks and leave them for health-care workers on the front line of the crisis.

https://www.seattletimes.com/s...-including-5-deaths/

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm where Nina is at.

Or, as Fareed Zakaria put it this morning: Run fast, not scared.

He had a good segment on coronavirus.

Transcript of the entire show, scroll down a ways...coronavirus was the second topic after the Afghanistan interview and discussion:

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRA...003/01/fzgps.01.html

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Junior works at M-soft. He said many folks from his area worked at home today (some sick). Mr. Jodi has a conference to attend in Seattle tomorrow. (And has been there since saturday).

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20452 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Four new cases of COVID-19, the illness caused by the novel coronavirus known as SARS-CoV-2, were confirmed in King County today. Two of those have died. One previously reported coronavirus patient in King County also has died.

This brings the totals in King County to 14 cases of COVID-19, including five deaths, according to Public Health – Seattle & King County.

In addition, a patient from Snohomish County has died, bringing the total deaths in the state to six.

“We expect the number of cases to increase in the coming days and weeks,” said Jeff Duchin, health officer for the public health agency, who stressed that most cases will be mild. “We are taking this situation extremely seriously.”
King County is purchasing a motel to house patients in isolation and setting up modular units to do the same, County Executive Dow Constantine said in a news conference Monday.

People should have essentials in the house similar to what one might keep around in case of an earthquake, said state health officer Dr. Kathy Lofy. here in Washington,” Lofy said.

Public Health Director Patty Hayes asked the public to stop buying up masks and leave them for health-care workers on the front line of the crisis.

https://www.seattletimes.com/s...-including-5-deaths/

In case of an earthquake?

Hmm.