well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    My poor daughter
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My poor daughter
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted
Works weekends at the Tigard (oregon) Costco. Apparently it’s a complete zoo today. She works the front end, but usually pushes carts. She said she’s wearing the disposable gloves they provide, but is a little worried.

--------------------------------
Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20462 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
Works weekends at the Tigard Costco. Apparently it’s a complete zoo today...

Are people stocking up to be ready for Coronavirus?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Yes, first confirmed oregon case was right there.

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
she was super sick a few weeks ago, (with what sounded like norovirus) and realized how unprepared she was, she lives on the portland state campus, in a dorm, and the dining room is several blocks away. And she had hardly any food. (She does not drive, does not have any close friends or relatives there to take her to the doctor).

Smiler Jodi

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
She does not drive

That makes things so complicated in most of this country. Also, dorm rooms aren't known for having a good spot to store two weeks worth of food... :P

I hope she's ok!

I think we probably need to go and buy some things like canned soaps and what not...

Ugh, I'm not ready to think about how to prepare in a sane way. suave

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
And mr jodi was just picked up by our son at the Seattle airport, heading for Kirkland, where he lives. (First corona death in us is at a hospital in Kirkland...)

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
She does not drive

That makes things so complicated in most of this country. Also, dorm rooms aren't known for having a good spot to store two weeks worth of food... :P

I hope she's ok!

I think we probably need to go and buy some things like canned soaps and what not...

Ugh, I'm not ready to think about how to prepare in a sane way. suave

Just get enough things to eat so you can stay home for a couple of weeks if you have to, and do it now before it shows up in your neighborhood and everybody else panics. (I bought the last bottle of hand sanitizer on the shelf yesterday at Walmart.)

Smiler Jodi

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
hand sanitizer

Our dept chair had the admin person go out and buy hand sanitizer bottles for everyone one in the dept, and he also had her buy a bunch of things of lysol wipes. She said it cost $400 to get enough for everyone! Eeker

Anyway, yeah, we need to start buying some non-perishables...

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
And mr jodi was just picked up by our son at the Seattle airport, heading for Kirkland, where he lives. (First corona death in us is at a hospital in Kirkland...)

Sounds like THAT is the place not to be right now.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Anyway, yeah, we need to start buying some non-perishables...

Maybe. Probably couldn't hurt.

OTOH, this is not like a blizzard where no one will be able to get to my house for two weeks. The power is not likely to fail - or at least it hasn't failed in Wuhan. Worst case is I stay indoors for a week or two, and if it gets worse than that no amount of hoarding is going to help. I'm sure my friends and family will bring me groceries if I need them, and I will of course do the same for them. At any rate I'm pretty sure we could live much longer than two weeks on just the food we already have.

I'm in my 60's with a history of respiratory issues and you can bet I'll be washing my hands like crazy. Other than that, the only thing I intend to do is to renew my prescriptions. I figure if the virus gets here the last place I will want to be is in a pharmacy.

I need to renew them anyway.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
We just stocked up on soups, a few frozen options and some other no perishables. Just in case.

I think the idea is that, if *we* get sick, this way we don’t need to go out etc.

We didn’t buy too much, but considering we didn’t really have anything like that, it’s probably best to have it on hand anyway.

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Haven't been able to find hand sanitizer anywhere... the DIY solution is 1/3 aloe vera gel and 2/3 91% or more alcohol. A little runny, and smells strong, but is supposed to have the same level of sanitizing as store-bought.

I ordered some thin cotton inspection gloves to wear all the time on when out - 6 pair to rotate into the wash...

Trying to learn now not to touch my face so much!!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Trying to learn now not to touch my face so much!!

This!! I am struggling to stop. Probably because I’m super aware of it.

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Oh, gosh. I'm not worried. I'm trying to get as much exercise as possible, but that's about it.

I'm supposed to go to a tennis tournament in Palm Springs soon. I am going no matter what unless they cancel the thing.

I figure we all have to die sometime, and dying by corona virus would be pretty easy compared to many things. Get a cold, feel bad, go to hospital, fall asleep, make the news as the healthy lady who dropped dead of corona virus.

Me, I'm going to live my life.

Cindy -- looking forward to no lines at the grocery store and no traffic

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I feel kind of numb to it. On one hand, it's an impeding pandemic. On the other, I have to live life every day. Eh.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post