well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Today I saw...
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 69

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Today I saw...
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
And the stone work is exceptional! ThumbsUp

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Bernard, I believe I saw that building while visiting. Beautiful. I think it would sell when the price becomes more reasonable. Who so earning the money when it does?

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Techno-Stud
Minor Deity
Picture of Matt G.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Beautiful!

(And very different from the hibiscus we grow out here)

Likely cultivars of the local native swamp rosemallow Hibiscus moscheutos, an herbaceous perennial. In the wild it's usually white with a maroon eye. I know of several wild stands in my area, one of which I have been passing every day on my way to the train station. It's in a ditch next to the railroad embankment.

Garden cultivars are frequently solid colors with enormous flowers, some over a foot in diameter! But, they are quite a bit more flattened than the flowers of the woody shrub Hibiscus rosa-sinensis, the tropical Chinese rose mallow, whose flowers are more trumpet-shaped. People in snow country grow those, too, as potted summer "annuals" that some bring indoors to overwinter.

[Insert Signature Here]

Posts: 15343 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Ah, from swamp mallows, huh? No wonder they didnt like my dry sandy soil! Had never looked up the requirements (and I usually do, but that is now, and then, was then)

Thanks for the info.

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Found this little guy while tomato picking.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Is it resealable? Cool

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
The new logo for "Wait, Wait! Don't Tell Me!"

Was invited by my neighor, we three ladies traveled to Tanglewood for the show, to be playing this weekend on the radio.

Guest was Emmanuel Ax! ThumbsUp

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"One half of me is a hopeless romantic, the other half is so damn realistic."
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
Very cool thread, BTW.

Problems are not the problem. Coping is the problem. --Virginia Satir

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Today I saw: This picture!

In a Thrift Store for $5. Pretty cool - it's made with seeds glued to canvas then painted. Of course I bought it, even though it's going to have to hang in the shop as it's not the sort of thing milady likes to see in the house.

On the back it says "Made in Taiwan - Republic of China - 1998" and I suspect it is the sort of thing you might find set out for tourists to buy.

It also has this writing on it. Ax or someone else - can you translate?

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
rocks

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Sweet autumn clematis, right on time.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37883 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
At our friends' lake house in Michigan - no internet, and spotty cell service...

No wind for the sailboats, but there was hiking, swimming and plenty of other water toys!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
SAW:

[/URL][/IMG]

and I picked them!

They are now in the freezer for winter icecream and yogurt.

"One half of me is a hopeless romantic, the other half is so damn realistic."
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
I do not believe I would have had the discipline to freeze them. No, I'm quite sure I would have eaten them. All.

Problems are not the problem. Coping is the problem. --Virginia Satir

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rustyfingers:
I do not believe I would have had the discipline to freeze them. No, I'm quite sure I would have eaten them. All.

HA!
I have had my nibbles for the past few days.
Lots more coming.

I don't ever remember them producing this late when I had my old patch. I had to get rid of that patch but saved some, from which the new patch has grown (for 2 yrs). Darn things are outgrowing that one, so will have to do some deleting fall/spring. Want some young starts from this year? Plant in sun and compost.