well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  About Us    wtf fifth anniversary reunion, may 29 - may 31, 2010
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

wtf fifth anniversary reunion, may 29 - may 31, 2010
 Login/Join

Not as tall as PL
What Life?
posted Hide Post
I have been chatting and planning to develop events to help make the WTF Convention/Party/Meetup/weekend an exciting time. Philly is a big town and I know sight seeing will be a part of it, but I currently have up to 4 musical events planned:

1) Hugh Sung, Curtis prof. will host a piano tasting at Cunningham.

2) A notable amateur recitalist (Placed third in the Vienna competition last year and placed in the amateur Cliburn) He asked that I not announce his name until it is a go.

3) Rodney Whittenberg (Emmy Award winner) can do a lecture on the role of the piano in a film score. He does a great question/answer kind of thing.

4) Susan Ashbaker, former artistic director of Opera Co. of Philly, current AVA and Temple coach can speak and demonstrate (Hi OT) the role of the collaborative pianist.

All of these can happen and more... or none of them if this does not interest the WTF'ers. Thoughts?

Posts: 2679 | Location: Philly/South Jersey | Registered: 17 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as tall as PL
What Life?
posted Hide Post
Oh - don't forget that Pique already offered to do a book reading/signing (She did, didn't she?)

And I hope Elena could be coaxed to play something... I hope. Smiler

Posts: 2679 | Location: Philly/South Jersey | Registered: 17 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nobody's $hillbot
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of OperaTenor
posted Hide Post
Rich, it all sounds fantastic.

ThumbsUp

Posts: 25662 | Location: Sandy Eggo, CA | Registered: 15 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
It all sounds great, Rich. If it can be organized into time slots over a day and evening or perhaps two evenings and the intervening day, it will allow for free time on either side of the date to do whatever sightseeing in the Philadelphia area folks may desire. I attend some avocational get-togethers or small conventions that are similarly organized and it seems to work quite well. Often the events start Friday evening, run throughout the day on Saturday and then have some off-site events in the surrounding area on Sunday so people traveling by car can stop at something on their way home. With a long weekend to work with, our plans can be more flexible, but I still prefer the idea of keeping the formal events in fairly close time proximity.

Big Al

Posts: 7420 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Damn, I wanna come.

Not fair, not fair, not fair to hold it Memorial Day weekend.

crybabyrantisoverfornow

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lilylady:
Damn, I wanna come.

Not fair, not fair, not fair to hold it Memorial Day weekend.

crybabyrantisoverfornow

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Posts: 5151 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 02 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Argh... I now have a software release scheduled for that week. ARGH!

I am now a definite maybe.

Argh.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of piqaboo
posted Hide Post
Given the change in who's posting etc these days, should we consider a new vote on the date?

I dont know if Rich or anyone else has already scheduled activities that would make that a bad idea.

Posts: 2691 | Registered: 07 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nobody's $hillbot
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of OperaTenor
posted Hide Post
I think that might be wise. It seems there are so many of who I would consider to be "core" members here who can't be there that weekend.

Frowner

Posts: 25662 | Location: Sandy Eggo, CA | Registered: 15 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Time's getting short for a change. I was just thinking that we should be thinking about hotel reservations. Do we have any suggestions for a hotel that we might focus on? It would be nice to be able to hang around in the evening without having to drive off to different lodging places at the end of the night.

Big Al

Posts: 7420 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of apple*
posted Hide Post
date update or confirmation?

Posts: 4933 | Registered: 17 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as tall as PL
What Life?
posted Hide Post
I have tentitively planned a few things, but nothing that I cannot reschedule. If we choose a new date, let's do it quickly and firmly.

I have some reschedulin' to do. Wink

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Pinging our ringleader, pique'.

Oh, wait -- she responded in the other thread.

Posts: 13818 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of apple*
posted Hide Post
and what did she say?

Posts: 4933 | Registered: 17 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Quoting Pique's response from the other thread:

the most convenient for me would be in NYC on april 10th. i'll already be there.

i suspect that whatever date is chosen there will be people who can't make it, people who said they were coming but then find they can't, and people who said they couldn't come who then find that they can after all.

we had an extensive poll on this a long time ago. more than one, actually. i'm not sure what you mean by "the makeup of the board has changed" since then. it seems to me the main thing that has happened is that some people who thought they could come discovered they couldn't after all.

that's going to happen regardless of the date chosen.

quirt, i think you are right about an unchangeable event creating more motivation and flexibility. though in the case of elena's concert, it didn't help--i had my book deadline and nothing i could do about it.

but that was the idea behind the poll being held so long ago--create a definitive date and set it there in place.

whatever.

Posts: 13818 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post