well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Is it just me?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it just me?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
More fodder for this kind of thinking came this week. One of my first cousins died after about two years of declining health after a stroke. He was 68.

He was the much-beloved longtime head coach of the University of Southern Mississippi football team who took them to their only appearance in the College World Series, so Mississippi media is throwing around words like "icon" and "legend."

USM Baseball Icon Corky Palmer Passes Away

His brother, who at 60 is my age, will not be able to attend the funeral because he has covid, which is especially concerning because he has lifelong chronic health issues.

Time is marching on.

--------------------------------
Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15514 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Frequenter
Picture of AD
posted Hide Post
Anyone else find puzzles and crosswords are easier after a good sleep, or a power nap? I started them about 8 years ago as a way of keeping the mind active, and started to eat healthily, being more of a pescatarian now. I noticed my body metabolism changing in my mid-fifties. Steak and bacon are now treats, chocolate biscuits my downfall.

The first Covid death anyone related personally was by my sister about her doctor. He was mid forties, healthy, April 2020 he got it badly and poof, was gone.
This raised questions for us; how long do we have here? Why endure work/commuting for stuff that clutters? Are the children going to be ok?

We quit our jobs (still in our late 50's), gave half our assets to the children and moved out of London to live a fairly simple life.

Every morrning the soul is once again as good as new, and again one offers if to one's brothers and sisters in life.

Posts: 385 | Location: Land of the Prince Bishops | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Definitely different body metabolism. Alcohol and rich foods no longer agree with me. Much more sensitive to caffeine.

I had the "is this what I want to do for the next twenty plus years?" moment after reading a book called Your Money or Your Life when I was in my 40s. Decided to chuck the job and go on sabbatical for a while. (Real) life got in the way and I never went back. Now I'm 67 and have an excuse to be retired! Absolutely no regrets. I was able to be there for family when they needed me. Would have been a lot harder if I had still been working.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37961 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
I had a friend pass away last year. Steve was a couple of years older than me. We had been neighbors at one point. He was a runner who loved music - so a couple of things in common though I believe he was the more talented of us. In any event, his death had some impact in that even though he was a conscientious and health-focused person - his number was up.

And Larry's passing as well. He seemed pretty indestructible - but from all accounts this all came about in a very short amount of time. That's scary.

As for memory, heh...it's funny how I'll reach for something - and there's a completely empty cupboard - not even a hint of what the word was. I've been listening to a book by a Yale professor who argues that this memory decline is all in our heads, i.e. that we think we're forgetting more because society says that old people have bad memories. She argues that it is an implicit bias on the part of society that infects older folks and makes us think we're becoming more feeble. I ain't buying it.

I'm also supposed to be physically feeble - but I'm in pretty decent shape. I'm can outrun a fair number of people 20 or more years younger - and like Biden can probably do more pushups. But while I once had a prodigious memory, it ain't there anymore.

Still, I'm also sorting through what meaningful things I can contribute to the world that fit with needs for flexibility of scheduling.

Posts: 9598 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I'll be 55 in September. I doubt I'll live past 65. It's a minor miracle I've lived this long.

It's sobering to think of the difference in how I feel about my health since I turned 50.

I can't see well enough to read without reading glasses. I'm now forced by circumstances to try "real glasses" for the third time.

I have neuropathy, chronic fatigue, and my left knee feels like it's giving up. I have a specific pain in my knee that hurts 24/7. The pain is severe and using it makes it hurt worse.

I could go on but you see my point.

Posts: 24732 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
I'll be 55 in September. I doubt I'll live past 65. It's a minor miracle I've lived this long.

...I could go on but you see my point.

Not really.

You've described nuisance problems per se, but unless you have reason to think any of them are signs of a fatal illness and/or you're basing your expectation of a relatively short lifespan on something else (e.g., genetics) I really can't imagine why you're so sure you'll have an early death.

I'm already older than your expected death date, and although I have a few health problems which could kill me if they get considerably worse (not counting nuisance problems, which just make life less enjoyable), I don't think in terms of dying within ten years, least of all, being sure of it.

I DO expect (regretfully) in that time to become less functional and less comfortable, but I don't see any reason to think I have a fatal disease except for life itself.

In fact, I don't see why you say it's a "minor miracle" you've lived so long. Fifty five is pretty young in terms of average American lifespans. Is it possible that because of recent family deaths, you feel bound to follow in their steps? Are there any special familial diseases (like cancer) you expect to succumb to?

(A digression, but as painful as your knee is, have you done your utmost to have it evaluated by experts to see if the pain can't be alleviated? Unless you're leaving something out, you really sound very unnecessarily fatalistic!)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Daniel I have the same problems and I'm 66. I got the knee replaced. It's a new lease on life. It looks like the spinal injection I got yesterday may have finally, after ten long suffering years, cured my neuropathy (or is at least keeping it at bay). In November I am having eye surgery and will not need glasses to read or to drive for the first time since I was 12.

And yet despite all these infirmities, for decades, I have persevered in hiking, swimming, riding a bike, riding a horse, adventuring alone in the mountains. I refuse to let physical limitations keep me from living fully. Even with chronic fatigue. I have a good friend younger than you who is flattened by chronic fatigue. She still goes horse camping--an exhausting proposition--by herself.

You sound depressed. May i suggest you look into that possibility first, and see if you can address it?

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21352 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Ken I can really relate to what you posted.

I am thinking of two VIPs in my life who dropped dead far too young. One just shy of his 60th birthday, the other at 70. Both were fit, active, lithe people who ate a healthy diet, had boundless energy, and never seemed to age.

Their hearts just stopped.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21352 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've been listening to a book by a Yale professor who argues that this memory decline is all in our heads, i.e. that we think we're forgetting more because society says that old people have bad memories. She argues that it is an implicit bias on the part of society that infects older folks and makes us think we're becoming more feeble. I ain't buying it.

I’ll buy it! And the book too, what’s it called?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18572 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I think this might be it, SK.

https://www.inc.com/marcel-sch...er-happier-life.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37961 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Think of this, Daniel. Larry's dead and you're alive.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7417 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Thanks WTG, I'll check it out!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18572 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big al:
Think of this, Daniel. Larry's dead and you're alive.

Big Al

ROTFLMAO

Posts: 24732 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Some people provoke strong responses in others. Like many, I was a target of Larry's unkindness. The memories of how he treated me and a lot of others still sting. I've been surprised by how much it's stuck with me given that he was just a faceless online presence. It speaks to how much pain lack of kindness can cause.

OTOH there were those who saw a different side of him and who called him friend.

Maybe his passing is an opportunity to demonstrate some restraint and kindness, and to break the cycle that he seemed to be caught up in.

Just a thought.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I generally agree with that sentiment. I posted what I did because I remembered how often Larry had attacked Daniel and thought I might, to some degree, lighten Daniel's pessimistic view of the future.

If my post was not appropriate, feel free to moderate it.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7417 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post