well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Pet Peeve Thread
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pet Peeve Thread
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted
This photo...

What the heck is she thinking? Was this appropriate for a White House event? A jacket would have made this so much better.

I love Kamala, in a suit, equal with the men but a bit of heel to show her feminine side.

But this? I would NEVER wear something like this to work. WTF

--------------------------------
"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I have an infinite supply of pet peeves. This isn't one of them. Why not let people express themselves with their clothes at work? The suit is boring and stultifying.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21352 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
On the one hand, I totally agree with piqué.

On the other hand, I'm really tired of the standard being that women's clothes are *always* designed to show a lot of skin, while men's clothes show almost nothing.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18550 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
A senator should wear conservative clothes to the White House. The men should not show up wearing dockers and a polo shirt, either.

I rarely wear suits because suits for women with butts are hard to find. I wear dresses, but always with a jacket on top for court — even on Zoom.

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I think I may have worn a suit the last time I was in the office, which was January 2020. I don't even wear a long-sleeve shirt for Zoom calls ... just a polo shirt.

Posts: 45751 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I've never worked in a place that required sober clothes. Art galleries, design studios, magazines, and newsrooms (reporters are notoriously badly dressed). I feel badly for people who have to dress like this every day. It would feel like being in shackles to me.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21352 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
I've never worked in a place that required sober clothes. Art galleries, design studios, magazines, and newsrooms (reporters are notoriously badly dressed). I feel badly for people who have to dress like this every day. It would feel like being in shackles to me.

As far as I hear from Bay Area son, suits, ties, etc. are completely extinct on the West Coast - to the point of being seen as ridiculous. (Not sure what women wear to work.).

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Lawyers still wear them, but only on days they have to be in court.

OTOH they have stopped wearing powdered wigs, so there is that.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34973 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Lawyers still wear them, but only on days they have to be in court.

OTOH they have stopped wearing powdered wigs, so there is that.

Big Grin Ole Big Grin

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Back to pet peeves, there are certain words I've grown allergic to.

For starters: robust and agile
(ugh)

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Speaking of writing:

I get cross when my students, and reporters, use all sorts of hyperbole words that convey vague emotional content ... drastic, skyrocket ... when clarity and precision escapes them.

I get cross when people use cliches. Orwell hated that too. So does Bret Stephens in a NY Times piece called "Tips for Aspiring Op-Ed Writers" ...

quote:
Kill the clichés. If you want to give the reader an outside the box perspective on how to solve a problem from hell by reimagining the policy toolbox to include stakeholder voices — well, stop right there. Editors notice these sorts of expressions the way French chefs notice slices of Velveeta cheese: repulsive in themselves, and indicative of the mental slop that lies beneath.

And weasel words ... indeed, apparently, in truth, ...

Posts: 12541 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Use of then for than, bring for take
(will leave this open for when I remember other things.

Wore a tie to a funeral years ago in the county where I live. Was ordered to take it off.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25712 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
“Her and me are going to the store.”

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17680 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Frost:
“Her and me are going to the store.”

Jf
Overcorrecting on that:

“Please contact Ralph and I.”

Urg.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
“Nucular”

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20466 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post