well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Pet Peeve Thread
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pet Peeve Thread
 Login/Join

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
Back to pet peeves, there are certain words I've grown allergic to.

For starters: robust and agile
(ugh)

The big overused word in the news media is ROIL. In every other article! As in: Breakaway factions roil GOP!

Somebody get these writers a thesaurus!

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
quote:

(ugh)

The big overused word in the news media is ROIL. In every other article! As in: Breakaway factions roil GOP!

And not just in articles - speeches! On the job and newscasters. I don't think there's a major corporation whose PR reps don't resort to them de rigueur

I've even heard them from the mouths of certain family members and certainly in LinkedIn profiles. Am sure they turn up in graduation addresses from both valedictorians and keynote speaker. Roll Eyes

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Very cute, Steve!! Big Grin Certainly a bugaboo of
public speaking.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Hair flipping.

When I eat out, I often sit at the bar so I don't take up a whole table...

Sitting near young women with long hair means I have to guard my dinner plate. They often turn their back to me and then...FLIP! FLIP! FLIP!

Sometimes I think I should strategically locate a pot of ketchup on the counter. Evil

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
People who drive Audis.

A recent poll in Britain had BMW drivers as the most annoying, with Audis second at half as many votes.

Around here, many BMW drivers are jerks, but nearly all Audi drivers are. If I’m going ten over and someone passes me on the right, it’s usually an Audi.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Frost:
“Her and me are going to the store.”

Jf
Overcorrecting on that:

“Please contact Ralph and I.”

Urg.

The linguist in me says that these are common usages and examples of how spoken language often deviates from prescriptive/normative grammar rules. They're not "wrong" and in fact, are perfectly clear and communicate the speaker's intention with no ambiguity.

The average citizen in me really, really, really hates “Please contact Ralph and I.”

WhoMe

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

(ugh)

Yes, that's a roil pain.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Frost:

Jf
Overcorrecting on that:

“Please contact Ralph and I.”

Urg.

The linguist in me says that these are common usages and examples of how spoken language often deviates from prescriptive/normative grammar rules. They're not "wrong" and in fact, are perfectly clear and communicate the speaker's intention with no ambiguity.

The average citizen in me really, really, really hates “Please contact Ralph and I.”

WhoMe

I do not understand how native speakers with degrees from prestigious universities and law schools cannot get this right.

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I hated “please contact the undersigned” when it was popular in corporatespeak. I hate the use of “I” as a direct object even more.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Less vs. fewer is beginning to bother me.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Less vs. fewer is beginning to bother me.

This was even a joke on Game of Thrones. I laughed out loud.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
“Drop” as a verb to mean “to release”. Whenever I see it I think it means the opposite of what the writer intended.

Elton John drops a new album.

Glen Frabbitz drops a single malt whisky.

The Paducah Weekly Blat drops a column on local critters.

In all of these, I assume it means “to stop doing something”.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I detest headlines that say "So-and-so opens up about thus-and-such."

I don't recall seeing them prior to the age of clickbait. Or perhaps they are the fallout of reality shows, which are designed to stir up huge emotions and then get an emotional person on camera for a (scripted) emotional catharsis conducted for all the world to see. And I suppose those moments are the outfall of those segments during sportsball events where the action stops so that one of the players can emote about the struggle it took to get there.

Anyway, "opens up" implies that this person has owed us their innermost thoughts for a long time and some enterprising reporter has pried those thoughts out of them. It also ignores the fact that most of these people who are "opening up" are celebrities who will benefit monetarily from the media reporting on their emotional revelations. How about we return to the more seemly "speaks"?

And how about we learn to distinguish between news that bears reporting and gossip that has been solicited for our entertainment?

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post

And there’s “She and myself are going to the store” for those not sure whether I or me is correct.

J

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17680 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post