well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Pet Peeve Thread
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pet Peeve Thread
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
“Her and me are going to the store.”

In my natural language use, I often say "Me and [Mr. SK] are going to the store" but I never say "Mr. SK and me are going to the store" (then it's always "I"). But using anything other than "I" in these sentences is technically incorrect. Same here:

quote:
And there’s “She and myself are going to the store” for those not sure whether I or me is correct.

Both "myself" and "me" are incorrect, the only grammatically correct one is to use "I."

But these usages are becoming so common that trying to get people to stop them is like spitting in the wind.

It's like "whom" (which is rarely used in places where it would be the correct choice), and dangling prepositions (which are often used in places where they are not supposed to) -- these usages are so common that to "correct" them often sounds odd.

A while back, I read (skimmed) a linguistic study that found that the use of "myself" (where it's not needed, either where "me" is better or "I" is correct) is increasing... I don't do English linguistics so I didn't make a point of remembering it....

But the point is, people talk how they talk, and eventually, what a few people scream about as being wrong, becomes accepted usage.

Would anyone like a side of singular they with that?

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I live on a fairly steep hill.

Decades ago, the crabby woman next door planted a laurel hedge along the property line between her house and mine.

The twit who subsequently bought her house had the house torn down and a gaudy mcmansion built in its place. His kids' upstairs bedroom windows are at the roofline of my house and they can look down into my bedroom.

He let the laurel hedge grow so it blocked the view, however it also blocked all the light on that side of my house. A couple times, I rented a 16 foot ladder and I trimmed the hedge back to the property line.

Last year, he hired an arborist to shorten the height of the hedge. Once again, it's short enough that his kids can see into my bedroom and bathroom.

I have no idea why he decided it should be shorter, but he could have at least left enough height to block the view.

And since it was cut back, it is growing out like crazy. At least, I think I can just cut it back with a pole pruner and a step ladder. I don't need to go rent a tall ladder again.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Fresh Peeve, Right Here!

I was just at the grocery store. This store is part of a retail/residential complex, so parking is in a garage rather than an open lot.

As I was turning the corner at the back of the garage, a guy was pushing an empty shopping cart. In the back corner is a bit of space behind a pillar that is not usable as a parking space. There were already two carts in that space. About 20 feet from the corner, he gave the cart a brisk shove then he turned and headed toward his car. The cart hit the column, bounced back a few feet, and stopped across the last parking space.

And what kind of car did the guy get in? An Audi SUV.

The frosting: I walked into the store. There was an older woman standing just inside the door. I stood there for a second to see what she was looking at. She gestured toward the big empty space and said “no carts”.

At least I was there for just a few items, so I grabbed a basket.

I wish I had gone and gotten the azzhole’s cart and put it behind his car before he started to back out.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Rule #1.

Never shop at a grocery store that requires parking in a garage.

Rule 2.

If there are any other stores that share that garage, don’t shop in those either.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
We have a grocery like that about a half mile from here. It’s a sketchy neighborhood and wouldn’t want to run into sketchy folks in a dark empty garage. The store is OK though, convenient for picking up a few things. Or even a lot of things if, as is common here, many people don’t drive but use rolling folding carts for grocery shopping. They are called “granny carts.” A common NYC thing.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Another one on word usage: When did “medicine” get replaced by “medication?” When referring to a pill or prescription.

You almost never hear “I have to take my medicine” any more.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Pet peeve:
using usage instead of use
"The usage directions are not clear...."
"The directions on usage are not clear..."

Using using like RP used it above is totally OK, though Big Grin

using trainings instead of training or classes
"We have several trainings coming up..."

Big words don't necessarily mean better words.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I plant a sequoia in Hawaii and sing a paean to my third grade teacher… the one who insisted that there were no words with more than two vowels in a row.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
People who stop at the top of an escalator, or pretty much anywhere without checking to see if they will be in the way of people behind them...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Ron — in New York it’s the people who stop walking in the middle of the sidewalk. They’re called tourists. Move to the side!

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
I plant a sequoia in Hawaii and sing a paean to my third grade teacher… the one who insisted that there were no words with more than two vowels in a row.
I need to liaise with someone on that.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Connecticut (and NY) drivers who speed +70 and pass me then try to drop back into my lane BEFORE they have cleared my front end... Mad

It was a long, stressful 6 hour drive today, just sayin'...not to mention the close call with a deer this morning in NJ.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Less and fewer appearing in publications where they should know better.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:

Don't plant a sequioa in Hawaii. It'll never grow there. Wrong climate.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Allow me to add one more to the queue.