well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Purdue Northwest Chancellor goes racist in grad ceremony remarks.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Purdue Northwest Chancellor goes racist in grad ceremony remarks.
 Login/Join

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I think all the talk of racism and extremism in this episode is beside the point. We will never know what is in his heart, so why decide on that basis. We can and should be objective.

The man made a mistake on the job at an important event. I think we can all agree that a reasonable person in his position would have known better. This is not akin to a mistake where reasonable minds can differ or where people are being asked to change longstanding language choices (e.g. using “they” to mean one person. He has offered no explanation for deciding to mock Asian people.

He’s not the right person for that job. Some of us have or have had high-visibility jobs. People trusted with such positions don’t get a lot of chances.

Cindy — recalling the head of a major tennis tournament was dismissed for saying ladies tennis was riding on the coattails of the men and the women should get down on their knees and thank the men, and it didn’t much matter whether he was sexist in his heart

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
get down on their knees and thank the men,

Well, he didn't leave much reasonable doubt, did he ... Big Grin

Posts: 12546 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
I think all the talk of racism and extremism in this episode is beside the point. We will never know what is in his heart, so why decide on that basis. We can and should be objective.

The man made a mistake on the job at an important event. I think we can all agree that a reasonable person in his position would have known better. This is not akin to a mistake where reasonable minds can differ or where people are being asked to change longstanding language choices (e.g. using “they” to mean one person. He has offered no explanation for deciding to mock Asian people.

He’s not the right person for that job. Some of us have or have had high-visibility jobs. People trusted with such positions don’t get a lot of chances.

Cindy — recalling the head of a major tennis tournament was dismissed for saying ladies tennis was riding on the coattails of the men and the women should get down on their knees and thank the men, and it didn’t much matter whether he was sexist in his heart

Yes.

--------------------------------
Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15514 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
The man made a mistake on the job at an important event. I think we can all agree that a reasonable person in his position would have known better.

All other concerns (and there are many) aside, this has been part of my take as well, from the first moment I heard about it.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18569 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
So what do you think of this?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/n...4a1987a11c749ff1f1b6

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13563 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I have only read a very little bit about this, apparently she said the "not about race" thing once, repented, and then said it again? It sounds like her views are at best misguided, at worst, harmful? What else am I missing?

Anyway, I don't know, I care a lot less about random celebrities on tv than I do about educational leaders.

Maybe that's a mistake though, who is more likely to more broad influence (for good or bad), a celebrity or a university chancellor?

Ugh.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18569 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
The man made a mistake on the job at an important event. I think we can all agree that a reasonable person in his position would have known better.

I disagree with this and think that intent, however difficult to perceive, still has a role to play in judgments like this. The rules have changed and continue to change and what is or is not acceptable differs in different communities. I'd offer as an example some hand gestures that are innocuous or positive in our society but highly offensive in other parts of the world.

I take myself as an example. When I was in high school 60 years ago, I participated in blackface minstrel shows with no ill intent. They were fundraisers for our sports boosters organization. Knowing what I know now, I certainly would not do so again.

I used to have a repertoire of jokes that I employed for entertainment in social situations. Among them were some Irish, Italian, and Polish jokes, those being identifiable ethnic groups in this region. When I was in Minnesota back in 1972-73, I found I could repurpose some of my Polish jokes as Finnlander jokes to good effect. However, I no longer tell any of those jokes because I do not want to give offense.

A couple of years ago, I participated in several anti-racism sessions where varieties of overt and covert racism were discussed. I could clearly understand the overt items but still do not see why some of the examples of covert racism were included. It left me with the notion that anything at all could give offense to someone. I think the reaction of some segments of woke culture to anything that differs from their dogma falls in this category.

All this has a chilling effect on legitimate discussion and disagreement, leaving the field devoid of moderate voices open to compromise and solely occupied by extremists of whatever sort. If I am wrong, I would prefer to be informed why I am in error, rather than pilloried for something I said without ill intent.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7417 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Anyway, I don't know, I care a lot less about random celebrities on tv than I do about educational leaders.

What does a chancellor actually do? I thought they did mostly find raising.

Is a chancellor an educational leader?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34976 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
So what do you think of this?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/n...4a1987a11c749ff1f1b6

I still can't figure out her point, to be honest. Does she thing Jewish is a race? I'm guessing she's just not willing to let go of her white-on-white views because it's serving some other narrative in her head. I didn't understand what she was saying, or her apology the first time, and I still don't get it.

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:

A chancellor is equivalent to the president of a university or a system (like the U Cal university system). Why not use president? I'm guessing the title "chancellor" just sounds more hoity-toity.

So yes, you're right - it's essentially fund raising. Big Grin

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:

A chancellor is equivalent to the president of a university or a system (like the U Cal university system). Why not use president? I'm guessing the title "chancellor" just sounds more hoity-toity.

So yes, you're right - it's essentially fund raising. Big Grin

Sometimes it depends on if there is a state system, and the head of the system can be called chancellor, then the university heads are presidents (or vice versa). Or for example, Montana tech is managed in part by the university of Montana (or was historically part of it) and the head of UM is a president, the head of Tech is a chancellor, the head of the whole system is the commissioner - so the different titles are how you differentiate the hierarchy. Maine had a university system that controlled the state schools - the head of it is the chancellor, the university heads are presidents.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20467 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big al:
quote:

I disagree with this and think that intent, however difficult to perceive, still has a role to play in judgments like this. The rules have changed and continue to change and what is or is not acceptable differs in different communities. I'd offer as an example some hand gestures that are innocuous or positive in our society but highly offensive in other parts of the world.

I take myself as an example. When I was in high school 60 years ago, I participated in blackface minstrel shows with no ill intent. They were fundraisers for our sports boosters organization. Knowing what I know now, I certainly would not do so again.

I used to have a repertoire of jokes that I employed for entertainment in social situations. Among them were some Irish, Italian, and Polish jokes, those being identifiable ethnic groups in this region. When I was in Minnesota back in 1972-73, I found I could repurpose some of my Polish jokes as Finnlander jokes to good effect. However, I no longer tell any of those jokes because I do not want to give offense.

A couple of years ago, I participated in several anti-racism sessions where varieties of overt and covert racism were discussed. I could clearly understand the overt items but still do not see why some of the examples of covert racism were included. It left me with the notion that anything at all could give offense to someone. I think the reaction of some segments of woke culture to anything that differs from their dogma falls in this category.

All this has a chilling effect on legitimate discussion and disagreement, leaving the field devoid of moderate voices open to compromise and solely occupied by extremists of whatever sort. If I am wrong, I would prefer to be informed why I am in error, rather than pilloried for something I said without ill intent.

Big Al

We’ve all made mistakes in the past, like your blackface example. I have also said some things I plan to take to my grave.

But if you showed up tomorrow at a work event in blackface, surely you’d agree you should be fired, regardless of what was in your heart?

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:

Sometimes it depends on if there is a state system, and the head of the system can be called chancellor, then the university heads are presidents (or vice versa). Or for example, Montana tech is managed in part by the university of Montana (or was historically part of it) and the head of UM is a president, the head of Tech is a chancellor, the head of the whole system is the commissioner - so the different titles are how you differentiate the hierarchy. Maine had a university system that controlled the state schools - the head of it is the chancellor, the university heads are presidents.

Agreed, but it seems to be pretty loose in terms of when Chancellor is used v President.
UCalif President - Dr Michael Drake (who knew?),
UC Berkeley chancellor - Carol Christ
UC San Diego chancellor - Pradeep K. Khosla

etc., etc.

Those wacky academicians! Big Grin

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
...if you showed up tomorrow at a work event in blackface, surely you’d agree you should be fired, regardless of what was in your heart?

Since I've already acknowledged that I know blackface is offensive, I'd agree. My argument was that not everything that is offensive to anyone should be subject to draconian punishment. I'm not sure exactly what proportional punishment looks like in some of these instances, but I think I know overreach when I see it.

The constantly shifting boundaries of "acceptable language" has become a trap in which even the moderately wary can become entrapped.

Big Al

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7417 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood

Big Al