well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    About those boosters and vaccines
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

About those boosters and vaccines
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
I have heard that Walgreens has the updated boosters available now. I walked through the appointment scheduling process on their website and would have been able to schedule a shot as soon as this morning. The website specifically said it was the "updated booster." Of course, I just boosted myself the all-natural way so no need for a shot for at least the next couple months. But I see no reason you couldn't get boosted now if you wanted assuming you live within reasonable distance of a walgreens (and really, does anyone in the US NOT live within reasonable distance of a Walgreens? - they seem to be everywhere!)

Walgreens does seem to have the booster. In our area, Pfizer is available right now and Moderna booster appointments are available for next week. You can check on Walgreens' website for availability in your immediate area.

My friend who lives in Sequim, WA (pop. 8000) has an appointment for tomorrow. If you can get a booster in Sequim, you can probably get one anywhere!

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I tend to do a pretty deep dive on some of the COVID-related stuff. This post may not be of interest to many folks, but for those who might find it helpful....

The WSJ had a pretty interesting piece that talks about some of the studies that are looking at possible serious adverse effects of the vaccines. Also a dive into the vaccine approval process, which I found interesting. And some discussion of Pfizer vs Moderna.

I had to work around some WSJ snark, but thought the info I got from the article was worth it. I don't have a subscription but was able to access the whole thing anyway.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/r...skeptics-11662149144

There were links to two studies that were particularly interesting.

Comparative Safety of BNT162b2 and mRNA-1273 Vaccines in a Nationwide Cohort of US Veterans

Serious adverse events of special interest following mRNA COVID-19 vaccination in randomized trials in adults

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Getting my Updated Moderna booster at 4:50 today. Walgreens.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
I'm going to have to go into the office a couple of times in September and October. As near as I can tell, almost no one wears masks. I think many have had COVID already.

I'd dearly love to get my next booster before I go in, but it seems the odds of that happening are not large.

Why not? I made an appointment Sunday for Tuesday morning on the CVS website.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
I'm going to have to go into the office a couple of times in September and October. As near as I can tell, almost no one wears masks. I think many have had COVID already.

I'd dearly love to get my next booster before I go in, but it seems the odds of that happening are not large.

Why not? I made an appointment Sunday for Tuesday morning on the CVS website.

I made a reservation last night about 8 o’clock in the evening, and got my shot at noon today.

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted Hide Post
I'm not looking forward to whatever side effects the booster shot causes me but I am looking forward to the benefits. I received this email message on 09/02/2022 from the hospital where I got the original Pfizer vaccination plus two booster shots:

An update on the COVID-19 “Omicron” booster

Single-dose bivalent (“Omicron”) COVID-19 boosters from Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna are now approved and recommended by the CDC. This updated COVID booster is designed to target the original variant as well as the newer dominant BA.4 and BA.5 omicron subvariants, which continue to cause tens of thousands of infections and hundreds of deaths every day in the United States. NorthShore is awaiting the arrival of these updated boosters and will notify you when we are open for booster scheduling. In the meantime, learn more about the updated booster below.

5 Things to Know about the “Omicron” Booster

1. Am I eligible for this booster?
The CDC recommends the updated Pfizer-BioNTech booster for individuals 12 and older and the Moderna booster for those who are 18 and older. Anyone who has received the two-shot primary mRNA or Novavax series or the single-shot Johnson & Johnson—regardless of whether they received any or all of the recommended booster shots—is eligible to receive the bivalent booster. Other pediatric groups are not yet approved.

2. When should I get this booster?
Anyone who has completed their primary vaccination or received the most recent booster dose two or more months ago can get an updated booster now. Once received, it takes two weeks to be effective.

3. Can I get this booster at the same time I get my annual flu shot?
Yes! In fact, many of our COVID-19 vaccine clinics will also carry flu shots, making it convenient to receive your flu shot at the same time you receive your booster.

4. Will I still have access to the original COVID booster?
With the approval of the bivalent booster, the monovalent booster is no longer recommended for individuals 12 and older, however we continue to offer the original booster for kids aged 5-11.

5. What if I have a child between the ages of 5 and 11 years old who is eligible for a booster?
For now, children in that age range are eligible for the original (monovalent) COVID booster, which we offer.

Stay tuned for more updates about COVID-19 bivalent booster availability at NorthShore and Swedish facilities.

Posts: 1411 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I had my 4th booster about ten days ago, with almost no side effects at all. Never felt blah, and the sore arm lasted perhaps 4-5 hours.

So for those of you about to get the jab, I'm sending my vibes your way. Hopefully everyone's experiences will be similar to mine. Smiler

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Mrs. and I got our bivalent shots today. Moderna.

So far so good.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
tl;dr
The COVID vaccines work.

https://jamanetwork.com/journa...11-b9da-8eb7a5fba1ee

Bazootiehead-in-training