well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    About those boosters and vaccines
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

About those boosters and vaccines
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the clarification, wtg.

Posts: 24732 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Some additional thoughts from my researcher buddy who got COVID after her trip to England. She thinks it happened when she was on the plane on the way back. No one else was masked and she took hers off to eat.

quote:
There is no evidence that BA.4 or 5 is not blocked by a well-fitting KN95 mask.

I mask whenever I am indoors with people unless I know them and know they are vaccinated and careful. When I have friends stay over I have them test first, which is not foolproof, but as I said, they are careful.

What we have is a perfect storm of a more infectious virus, lots of people who are not vaccinated or who are undervaccinated so who carry a higher viral load, and a population that has decided that it doesn't need to mask anymore. 200,000 people have died since January, but a lot of people haven't, due in part to a higher level of immunity in the population, so people feel bullet proof and are unworried about getting it multiple times. But here's the problem: COVID causes small vessel occlusions throughout the body, which may be the reason that each subsequent infection results in increased morbidity. I feel great now after my infection but I have no idea how my kidneys or liver or heart feel.

She's been concerned about possible long COVID effects all along and why she's been so careful to not get sick. Except she got sick anyway.

edit:

She said she was on an antiviral so I asked about Paxlovid side effects.

quote:
My doc said that she's seen a lot of side effects with Paxlovid so she put me on molnupiravir. After I picked up the drug I read that it was less effective, but at that point I didn't care I just wanted something. I had no side effects.

About molnupiravir: https://www.yalemedicine.org/n...now-about-covid-pill

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37961 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is no evidence that BA.4 or 5 is not blocked by a well-fitting KN95 mask.

I have not seen this written in just this way, but it certainly is good to hear since that's what I'm wearing.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18569 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I have a stupid question - does anyone vary their mask type based on the situation? For example, if I'm at work just walking in between offices or in the hallway, I'll use a cloth mask with a paper filter insert. If I'm in a more public space (airport, hospital, restaurant, etc.) I'll use a KN95 or a K95. Am I just kidding myself? I prefer the cloth because it's more comfy, but maybe that's pretty much the equivalent of not wearing a mask at all....

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I have a stupid question - does anyone vary their mask type based on the situation? For example, if I'm at work just walking in between offices or in the hallway, I'll use a cloth mask with a paper filter insert. If I'm in a more public space (airport, hospital, restaurant, etc.) I'll use a KN95 or a K95. Am I just kidding myself? I prefer the cloth because it's more comfy, but maybe that's pretty much the equivalent of not wearing a mask at all....

I use a KF94 for everything. It’s comfortable; I don’t like the KN95 because it’s not as comfortable. I wear it when in indoor spaces, like grocery shopping. And airports and planes.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of KF94 - I'll check it out!

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I've never heard of KF94 - I'll check it out!

Here’s the Amazon link for the mask we use. Slightly less effective than a KN95, but I’m willing to have that trade-off for comfort!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
We use these surgical N95 masks. They are the most comfortable mask I have worn to date.

https://www.armbrustusa.com/pr...riant=39649760968837

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Crazy looking things but I can see why they'd be comfortable. Looks like Sam's Club has them at a discounted price.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/aci...ce-50ct/prod26910412

Except I'm not a member of Sam's Club....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37961 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Pfizer and Moderna Omicron boosters approved by FDA.

https://www.axios.com/2022/08/...vid-boosters-omicron

From WaPo:

quote:
The boosters, reformulated to take aim at the BA.4 and BA.5 omicron subvariants dominant in the United States, are scheduled to be reviewed by advisers to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Thursday. If the outside experts recommend the shots, and CDC Director Rochelle Walensky agrees, some boosters may be available starting this weekend, with more showing up in pharmacies, doctors offices and clinics after Labor Day.

https://www.washingtonpost.com.../fall-booster-shots/

Bazootiehead-in-training

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Wow! That's fast! I will definitely be watching this because I would like to get an updated booster ASAP.

Having said that, I would also like to not be the first person in line.... WhoMe

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18569 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Inhaled vaccine.

quote:
The U.S. developed the world’s most widely used COVID-19 vaccines with brand-new technology in record time, but China just shot ahead in the huffing and sniffing phase of COVID-19 vaccine development.

On Sunday, China’s government approved CanSino Biologics’ inhaled COVID-19 vaccine for use as a booster dose. CanSino is a private, Tianjin-based vaccine maker that has partnered with the Chinese military-run Academy of Military Medical Sciences to produce COVID-19 vaccines. The inhaled vaccine uses the same technology as the firm’s World Health Organization–approved viral vector COVID-19 vaccine. The new version is breathed in through the mouth, and clinical trial data showed that it was more effective as a booster at preventing infections from Omicron and other variants than the injectable, inactivated vaccine from Chinese firm Sinovac. CanSino’s new vaccine is not just the first inhaled vaccine for COVID, it is the first inhaled vaccine for any disease.

The vaccine is “a game changer,” Pierre Morgon, an executive vice president at CanSino Biologics, told Fortune. “This is the first-ever inhaled vaccine to be commercialized. I’m so proud to be part of it.”

For now, the vaccine will only be available in China. But Morgon said he hopes that CanSino’s inhaled vaccine will be approved in more countries by the end of the year.

Some scientists in the U.S., meanwhile, have been calling on the Biden administration and vaccine manufacturers to step up efforts to produce an inhaled or nasal spray vaccine because of the technology’s potential to reduce transmission more effectively than injectable immunizations.

https://fortune.com/2022/09/06...peration-warp-speed/

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
By the way, I’m told Pfizer is working on a combined flu/Covid vaccine.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33801 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I'm going to have to go into the office a couple of times in September and October. As near as I can tell, almost no one wears masks. I think many have had COVID already.

I'd dearly love to get my next booster before I go in, but it seems the odds of that happening are not large.

Posts: 45754 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
I have heard that Walgreens has the updated boosters available now. I walked through the appointment scheduling process on their website and would have been able to schedule a shot as soon as this morning. The website specifically said it was the "updated booster." Of course, I just boosted myself the all-natural way so no need for a shot for at least the next couple months. But I see no reason you couldn't get boosted now if you wanted assuming you live within reasonable distance of a walgreens (and really, does anyone in the US NOT live within reasonable distance of a Walgreens? - they seem to be everywhere!)

Posts: 4408 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post