well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Hive Mind: What should we do? Covid and Travel.
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hive Mind: What should we do? Covid and Travel.
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
I haven't been reading here for a few days so missed this whole thread. Pique, you received lots of good ideas, care and concern here from the others. I'm glad you both came to the decision you did.

I'm curious why you said, some pages back, that home covid tests are useless. I was just part of a theatrical production where actors and musicians had to self-test negative every day or the show would be cancelled. This is after a first cancellation due to two cast people getting covid.

Me, I've had it once, and later have some symptoms that could be interpreted as long covid. Muscular aches in my thighs that make walking and stairs a bit less comfortable (seeing a neurologist about that soon) and a noticeable greater hearing loss than previous. I don't know how one "proves" such things are due to covid though.

There's another thread about the current state of home COVID tests.

http://well-temperedforum.grou...0004433/m/7533972797

Bottom line, they're probably not a great thing to rely on as far as a negative result is concerned.

If you test positive, though, then it's pretty certain you have COVID.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
I haven't been reading here for a few days so missed this whole thread. Pique, you received lots of good ideas, care and concern here from the others. I'm glad you both came to the decision you did.

I'm curious why you said, some pages back, that home covid tests are useless. I was just part of a theatrical production where actors and musicians had to self-test negative every day or the show would be cancelled. This is after a first cancellation due to two cast people getting covid.

Me, I've had it once, and later have some symptoms that could be interpreted as long covid. Muscular aches in my thighs that make walking and stairs a bit less comfortable (seeing a neurologist about that soon) and a noticeable greater hearing loss than previous. I don't know how one "proves" such things are due to covid though.

negative home tests are not helpful to determine if the show and rehearsals should go on. a negative home test means: "we don't know if you have covid or not."

otoh, a positive home test does likely mean you have covid. iow, false negatives are very common with the home test.

i really wish that this information would be more widely disseminated because lots of people are depending on test result that was negative to give them a free pass to get out and socialize. i'm convinced this is largely responsible for many infections that could have otherwise been avoided.

sorry to hear of your issues, joe. so little is known about long covid, it's probably impossible to say. your situation should serve as a caution for the rest of us.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the word on the home covid tests (and link to other thread). I didn't know they were so unreliable. I wonder if the rapid tests you have to get at a testing center are more reliable (not the PCR, the quick one).

Anyway, I was always masked for the rehearsals and performance. The other two musicians were sax and flute, so they couldn't mask. The actors were masked for rehearsals but not the performance. I'm glad I kept the mask on, no matter what the tests were saying.

I use a KN-95 BTW. I just cannot stand how suffocating the N95 feels to me. Plus the around-the-head fit is so cumbersome.

I've learned to eat in restaurants by taking in bites while holding my breath or exhaling, then covering up again. Fun times.

My wife is going to Florida to visit relatives and an old college friend. I'm going to warn her to mask up well in airports. At least in FL there's a lot you can do in the open air, so there's that.

I'm not going. I have a low tolerance for Florida! Especially in the summer.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
My wife is going to Florida to visit relatives and an old college friend. I'm going to warn her to mask up well in airports. At least in FL there's a lot you can do in the open air, so there's that.

people are either uninformed or confused about the current situation.

a judge overruled the CDC on the mask mandate for air travel. the CDC still recommends masks for air travel, but now that it is optional, air travel is far less safe than in was only a few weeks ago.

lots of people have been flying since we have had vaccines, and flying was a reasonable thing to do--until now. now people aren't masked, and people are getting sick from air travel, mostly from being in airports. it's a different ballgame than it was earlier this spring.

your wife may want to check out the most current information on covid risk when flying before she goes.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
My daughter just tested positive (she moved to Texas 2 weeks ago). So she’s out for the memorial. Several other family members are out with Covid as well….

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20462 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Oh no, Jodi, sorry to hear that!!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
My daughter just tested positive (she moved to Texas 2 weeks ago). So she’s out for the memorial. Several other family members are out with Covid as well….
\

Oh no! So sorry to hear.

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your daughter, Jodi.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post